Brisket Advice Point or Flat

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have searched/read many threads and as usual most did not absorb.

I need to smoke something besides a Butt, don't get me wrong I like Butts, just not big Butts. I have done 1 brisket and it was just okay. I know it was both Flat and Point. Problem is I do not remember what part was better.

What will give me the most moist cut. Point or Flat?

I know this is another question that has been asked a 1k times, sorry.

I want to go to my meat shop tomorrow and get one and would like to be sure what to ask for.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I would just get a whole packer brisket. point/flat still together. The flat is the part that most slice and serve. the point is fattier and takes longer to render it all out making it ideal for making burnt ends. I refuse to pay more money for a brisket flat when i can get the whole brisket for the same price. I cook mine to about 160 -165* in the flat then wrap in foil maybe pour a little beer or something in to help keep it moist. double wrap and back on the cooker till it hits 190-195* in the flat or the probe slides in like it would in warm butter. then into the cooler for a few hours. take it out and slice across the grain. it should be nice and tender. Ill cut the point off across the fat line in the brisket. either chop it up and freeze it or cube it up with some more rub and back in the smoker for burnt ends.

The flat tends to not be as moist as the point when you cook them, due to the extra marbling in the point. But as FatDaddy says better IMO to buy a packer and cook it whole, than pay the extra for just the flat.

There are plenty of good uses for the point beyond just sliced brisket, and at $1.38 / lb round here for a packer, and $3.28 / lb for flats, I'd prefer to buy a 14 lb packer for $20.00 than a just under 6 lb flat, for the same money.

Would the point be better in compition?

I use packers at comps. I seperate after cooking and slice the flat and chunk the point for turn in. I do the same thing cooking for myself.

The flat tends to not be as moist as the point when you cook them, due to the extra marbling in the point. But as FatDaddy says better IMO to buy a packer and cook it whole, than pay the extra for just the flat.

There are plenty of good uses for the point beyond just sliced brisket, and at $1.38 / lb round here for a packer, and $3.28 / lb for flats, I'd prefer to buy a 14 lb packer for $20.00 than a just under 6 lb flat, for the same money.

I agree with you on cooking the flats, they're not as moist.
I tried an experiment 2 weekends ago. In the WSM I put a 6# flat (2.59 per lb, on sale) at on the lower rack and a 5# chuckie above it on the upper. I cooked it at an even 225-230 (was concentrating on keeping the temps consistent). The flat was being basted by the rendered fat in the chuckie. I took it to 165 foiled it and removed it at 195. It was as juicy as any of the point on briskets I've done.
AKA CHUCKIE MOD :cool:

It has more fat ego more flavor, but most judges want to see those slices of flat, they say they dont care but...

I cook a whole packer too...then cut up point, back on high heat and burnt ends for turn-in box!

Great, now I want burnt ends. I gotta quit reading this site.

Buy the whole packer. I almost always over cook and dry it out to much when I cook just the flat. I don't know what is.

OK...Im still trying to figure out what burnt ends are. - I know rookie mod

I just purchased a fresh briskette. Im thinking I understand the difference of the flat and the point. As there was a large diagnol piece of fat/connective tissue between the two, about 2/3s of the way through on a slat before it got to the point of the meat.

I left it intact should I have sperated it?

5-9-08raw1.jpg

The fat is called the deckle, trim part of it out before cooking to help get more bark. When your flat gets up to temp 185 or so, cut the point and flat apart. Rest the flat in a cooler so it sucks back in the juices. Then put the point back in the smoker unfoiled - maybe even put it in a pan so it sits in it's own juices. When they get up to about 205 cube the point, add some sauce, maybe even more pepper then it's optional to put back into the smoker again - kinda oversmokes the sauce.

Yummy

OK...Im still trying to figure out what burnt ends are. - I know rookie mod

I just purchased a fresh briskette. Im thinking I understand the difference of the flat and the point. As there was a large diagnol piece of fat/connective tissue between the two, about 2/3s of the way through on a slat before it got to the point of the meat.

I left it intact should I have sperated it?

5-9-08raw1.jpg

Burnt end are really what they should like. The are originally the ends the brisket that when the got to small to slice they tossed in some sauce and ate it. Someone said these are good and started sell it and the it got so popular that they start chunking piece and saucing them and re smoking to get more flavor. Start here in Kansas City.

The whole packer is the way to go. You can then separate it or cook it whole. Whole is best for me.

I like to seperate the flat from the point and foil seperatly ( around 170-175 ). I leave the point on the smoker for a couple of hours after the flat is off and resting. Then cube and put back on the smoker unfoiled for about another hour.

Back