MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #2731
bspencer
Found some matches.

I did my first cook of a pork butt. I could not keep temps below 325 and my fuel burnt out after 6 hours. i guess I have some fitment issues with the lid.

Bspencer
bspencer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #2732
Mtnsmoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Scored a FREE weber 22" yesterday and starting to get UDS built together and had a couple of questions. For those who have used the nipple style intake and a setup similar to Jtwised13 or magnet intake. What difference have you noticed in the two setups if any? Is it better to have the nipples go into the drum and if so is there a optimum length or does it matter? I'm on my second read of this thread and I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I do remember there where issues with the nipples being to long correct? FYI I'm using basket w/2"-2 1/2" high ash tray.
Mtnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #2733
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnsmoke View Post
Scored a FREE weber 22" yesterday and starting to get UDS built together and had a couple of questions. For those who have used the nipple style intake and a setup similar to Jtwised13 or magnet intake. What difference have you noticed in the two setups if any? Is it better to have the nipples go into the drum and if so is there a optimum length or does it matter? I'm on my second read of this thread and I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I do remember there where issues with the nipples being to long correct? FYI I'm using basket w/2"-2 1/2" high ash tray.
I tried the magnet route on my test burn and although they did work they also deformed a bit from the heat, so longevity is an issue. Cheap but an issue nonetheless. I went out and bought some "close" nipples. These are but an inch or so long so do not intrude into the barrel at all and the protrusion is minimal. If going the nipple route get "close" nipples.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #2734
tweek
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I posted a while back about the barrel I was going to buy with the red liner. Well I finally did a burn but the liner seems totally untouched.

The fire was an inferno too. Here is some pictures. I burned it pretty consistently for about 8 hours with nice tall flames leaping out quite a bit. Is this normal? I know people mentioned having to do multiple burns at times but I figured it would have been atleast heavily damaged and partially gone.

The fire

Taken at night with the flash to put it in perspective just how bright that orange glow is

After I used the garden hose to wash it out

There won't be any grass on this section of the lawn this year

Sorry for the repeated edits, just trying to get my pictures to link right.

Last edited by tweek; 04-04-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: My pictures didn't post
tweek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #2735
boothguy
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have a similar barrel with the red liner that was used to ship grape juice. I did a burn for about 4 hours and even warped the bottom and the red paint did not come off. I have tried to use an angle grinder with a steel brush to grind it off and have decided that I now have a garbage barrel instead of a BBQ.
Someone gaive me a barrel used to ship Cetane, a diesel additive that has the capability of explosion if it gets too hot! I filled it with water and liquid detergent and cut off the top with a saws all. It has no liner but when it burned the Cetane lit up and got so hot the paint on the outside was even on flames. It got real scary for a minute with so much flame. Cetane smells a lot like rubber cement. We had to hose it down to control the burn but it burned up anything flammable and now l have a clean barrel. Luckily the other barrel's lid will fit perfectly so I believe I have all the parts needed to finish my UDS.
I think you are in for a long day if you want to continue with removing the red liner. I don't know exactly what is in the red paint but it holds very well and it is used with a food products so one has to wonder if it is safe or not at 300 degrees. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend using a barrel with Cetane in it either. That stuff is bad but sure burned out the barrel nicely.
boothguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #2736
tweek
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So I guess it is not just me.
The heat of the fire took care of most of the paint on the outside all the way upto the top.
My inexact estimate of temp was that it would have melted a beer bottle. I have built camp fires that could melt a beer bottle flat and this was definitely capable of that. So I don't know what that crap is but it is really resistant!

I used a brush for a bit on a couple of spots and it didn't ever clear it off to bare metal.

I was hoping to have this thing up and running for next weekend for my bday but I think I might just have to borrow my friends WSM

An American science and surplus store is not far from me...anyone know of any acids/bases that might take care of this problem :)
tweek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #2737
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Boothguy, I doubt very much that there will be any residue crap
left after several burns.
I'd burn it good, and use it.

Others here will tell you to piss your money away on a "new" drum
that has seen just as many bad chemicals during their restoration
or manufacture...

Weiser
That red chit isn't good for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
I have a similar barrel with the red liner that was used to ship grape juice. I did a burn for about 4 hours and even warped the bottom and the red paint did not come off. I have tried to use an angle grinder with a steel brush to grind it off and have decided that I now have a garbage barrel instead of a BBQ.
Someone gaive me a barrel used to ship Cetane, a diesel additive that has the capability of explosion if it gets too hot! I filled it with water and liquid detergent and cut off the top with a saws all. It has no liner but when it burned the Cetane lit up and got so hot the paint on the outside was even on flames. It got real scary for a minute with so much flame. Cetane smells a lot like rubber cement. We had to hose it down to control the burn but it burned up anything flammable and now l have a clean barrel. Luckily the other barrel's lid will fit perfectly so I believe I have all the parts needed to finish my UDS.
I think you are in for a long day if you want to continue with removing the red liner. I don't know exactly what is in the red paint but it holds very well and it is used with a food products so one has to wonder if it is safe or not at 300 degrees. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend using a barrel with Cetane in it either. That stuff is bad but sure burned out the barrel nicely.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #2738
sterlingsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Here are a few pics of my build on my first drum.

Cookshack 008
2-WSM
2-UDS
Bar-B-Chef offset
sterlingsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #2739
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

That is a sweet looking build Sterlingsmoker!

Just a suggestion however.... the basket appears to be too short and too large in diameter from here.
It will work, but not for very long. It really should be at least 10" high and personally, I like 12" to 14" for cooks longer than eight hours.
I would add some expanded metal to the inside of what yo have.

Are you a Plumber? I question the use of multiple Ball valves although, they do look cool.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingsmoker View Post
Here are a few pics of my build on my first drum.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #2740
BarberQue
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS mods

I came to a conclusion after a couple of smokes on the uds, that the gauge on the outside wall is useless. So, I made a mod to the thermometer.(tossed it out) Not sure if this was in this thread before, but thought I would share this with you guy's. I took a 5/16 threaded brass rod and drilled a .156 hole through the middle leaving about .002 to .003 clearence ( per side) for the 12 inch thermometer probe($3 at Meijers)to slide in and out as needed.This way I don't need a digital thermometer for the grate, only the meat. And since I haven't made a cart for it yet I added a couple of handles to bring it in and out easier. I made a couple for my buddies and had them pc a copper vien the picture isn't that good I will have to get a better one later. I also did my first butt today on the uds, it's resting right now so no pulled pics yet, but the burnt end was awesome!!
IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg
[ATTACH][ATTACH]25952
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0870.jpg (103.3 KB, 1306 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0875.jpg (100.5 KB, 1402 views)
[FONT=Arial Black]Oh!! And Smokin Something Too!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Bradley 6 rack digital auto feed smoker [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Members Mark Professional SS Gasser[/FONT]
Weber One Touch Silver
The UDS twins
BarberQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #2741
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sterling, looks like a good UDS you are doing there. All my baskets are 7 inches high and about 17 inch diameter. They only hold enough fuel for..maybe 16 - 18 hours. All drums are different and there is no magic combination. You need to try a few cooks and see what works for your fuel, style, and actual drum. Experiment a little and you will be just fine.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 AM   #2742
jtwisted13
Full Fledged Farker

i could use a couple of those thermometers from Meijers. anybody want to help me out??...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberQue View Post
I came to a conclusion after a couple of smokes on the uds, that the gauge on the outside wall is useless. So, I made a mod to the thermometer.(tossed it out) Not sure if this was in this thread before, but thought I would share this with you guy's. I took a 5/16 threaded brass rod and drilled a .156 hole through the middle leaving about .002 to .003 clearence ( per side) for the 12 inch thermometer probe($3 at Meijers)to slide in and out as needed.This way I don't need a digital thermometer for the grate, only the meat. And since I haven't made a cart for it yet I added a couple of handles to bring it in and out easier. I made a couple for my buddies and had them pc a copper vien the picture isn't that good I will have to get a better one later. I also did my first butt today on the uds, it's resting right now so no pulled pics yet, but the burnt end was awesome!!
Attachment 25946
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0860.jpg (193.4 KB, 1264 views)

Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #2743
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberQue View Post
I came to a conclusion after a couple of smokes on the uds, that the gauge on the outside wall is useless. So, I made a mod to the thermometer.(tossed it out) Not sure if this was in this thread before, but thought I would share this with you guy's. I took a 5/16 threaded brass rod and drilled a .156 hole through the middle leaving about .002 to .003 clearence ( per side) for the 12 inch thermometer probe($3 at Meijers)to slide in and out as needed.

Tyler, making that with brass rod is a good idea. Brass is real easy to machine. I tried to do the same thing using one of the cooking grate support bolts. Even doing it in a drill press the drill kept going off to one side and breaking through the sides of the bolt. So I scrapped the idea. I'll just stay without a thermometer on the outside because yes they are useless.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #2744
sterlingsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
That is a sweet looking build Sterlingsmoker!

Just a suggestion however.... the basket appears to be too short and too large in diameter from here.
It will work, but not for very long. It really should be at least 10" high and personally, I like 12" to 14" for cooks longer than eight hours.
I would add some expanded metal to the inside of what yo have.

Are you a Plumber? I question the use of multiple Ball valves although, they do look cool.

Weiser
The basket and rack are from a WSM. I easily get 18 hr plus burns and have fuel left over.

Cookshack 008
2-WSM
2-UDS
Bar-B-Chef offset
sterlingsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #2745
BarberQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonHoggBBQ View Post
Tyler, making that with brass rod is a good idea. Brass is real easy to machine. I tried to do the same thing using one of the cooking grate support bolts. Even doing it in a drill press the drill kept going off to one side and breaking through the sides of the bolt. So I scrapped the idea. I'll just stay without a thermometer on the outside because yes they are useless.
Ya, you gotta do it on a lathe, It's a lot easier. Since were so close and all, if you want a couple, I could help you out? Just pm me if you want some.
[FONT=Arial Black]Oh!! And Smokin Something Too!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Bradley 6 rack digital auto feed smoker [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Members Mark Professional SS Gasser[/FONT]
Weber One Touch Silver
The UDS twins
BarberQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker