BBQ Brethren "St. Loo-ee Style" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"St. Loo-ee Style!"[/size]
ts

Anonymous photo!

...as chosen by deguerre, the winner of the Carnival Food Throwdown!

Here is how deguerre described this one to me...
deguerre said:
Saint Loo-ee Style!
That can be anything from pork to pizza...

Since we'll be driving to Ash's place on Friday.:thumb::thumb:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/24 through MONDAY 7/4 (extended for the Holiday weekend).

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on MONDAY night 7/4 (Happy 4th everyone!).

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin TUESDAY 7/5 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Saturday 7/9. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Summertime Throwdown until Sunday night 6/26 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Love/Hate Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Heck, even found this one under a St. Louis Style search:

Crispy snoots
"Crispy snoots" are barbecued pig cheeks and nostrils, which are a fat-rich cut of pork. These are usually cooked over an open grill until crisp, then served with barbecue sauce for dipping

What is this [SIZE=+2]"St. Loo-ee" place of which you speak....:becky:
[/SIZE]

Don't worry about it.......just roast a cardinal on your ECB and call it good.

Allright!!! Finally a category I can jump in with both feet!!! This will be fun!

Where the heck is a Florida boy gonna get some provel?:shocked: Yo D'g, when y'all hittin that St Louis place:-D?
Oh well... it's off to plan B:thumb:

Where the heck is a Florida boy gonna get some provel?:shocked: Yo D'g, when y'all hittin that St Louis place:-D?
Oh well... it's off to plan B:thumb:

Provel? I've been searching reliquaries on ebay. Are you sure some other saint won't do? If you'd called Saint Anthony I could probably get away with smoking pig, but you had to make it tough. St. Louie is the patron saint of barbers. That would be an odd twist on a familiar story. :shock:

For those of you scratching your heads over this one, and I know all I could think of were meat pies and spare ribs, there is a link to some foods of St. Louis. In it, among other things, you can also find that you can smoke some peanut butter. I wouldn't recommend this, as I tried it for a previous throwdown and it didn't even get me a zero.

http://stlplaces.com/stl_foods/

It also explains what Provel cheese is and that you can put this on pizza and probably on your brain sandwich if you so choose.

Maybe someone will construct an arch from eggplant and bacon? Oh crap, I probably gave it away! Sorry Gore!

At least you didn't mention the modeling of the Mississippi river in peanut butter, but I'm not sure if the eggplant arch would taste better dipped in peanut butter or bacon grease.

Toasted Ravioli Brethren Style

On 'The Hill' in St. Louis is where you go for Italian food. It's the home to Toasted Ravioli - widely believed to have been invented by Terry Hill at Oldani's restaurant. I took a crack at it brethren style.

Homemade ravioli stuffed with pulled pork, ricotta, provelone, mozzarella and italian dry seasonings (note the enormous mess I made in the kitchen!).

DSC_0333.jpg

Dipped in egg wash then seasoned bread crumbs. A trip to the fryer then served with warm marinara sauce.

DSC_0371.jpg

The dip

DSC_0377.jpg

The double dip (it's all good among family) (use this photo please)

DSC_0381.jpg

I tried dipping one in BBQ sauce and it was too strong. Using the marinara and the smoked meat filling gave them a very robust flavor complimented by the crispy pasta shell.

Enjoy the throwdown - we did!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh... good start. Man I gotta do me some research, or I'll just end up doing a St.Louis cut rib... NTTIAWWT....

(cough)Pork steaks(cough)...What were we talking about again?

Back