• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First brisket...temp log and lots of pics

pc132

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I set a goal of cooking my first packer brisket before the summer ends and finally got around to it for Labor Day. Here's how it went down. The numbers are (Degrees/Internal Temp)

Got me a 14# prime packer at CostCo. Was surprised to find a packer there as I had previously only seen flats.

Sunday night

7:10pm - Started lighting the starter coals. My setup is a Weber 22.5 Performer + Smokenator + PartyQ.

Trimmed and rubbed with S&P. This brisket had a HUGE fat cap. I thought I trimmed to only 1/4 inch left, but based on the final results, it looks like there was still about 1/2 left.

8:13pm - 270/34

9:24pm - 271/70. Reloaded water pan. I was concerned about the skin splitting, so I posted this pic to the board and got quick reassurance that this was fine!

9:54 - 225 degrees, IT 88

10:15 - 257/99
10:43 - 273/115
11:00 - 270/126 Added more wood, coals and water.
11:55 - 277/151 The plan was to foil once the bark was set around 150. Here, the IT is at 150, but the bark hasn't set at all, so I just added some wood.

12:07 - 300/156 - Was surprised to see temp go to 156 so quickly. I thought that there would be a stall. Still no bark, so now I"m thinking maybe this will just power through the stall and I won't foil at all. I read some folks here remarking that prime or better cuts of meat sometimes have shorter stalls, or no stall at all.
12:19 - 253/160 - Couldn't believe it jumped to 160 so quickly. Decided not to foil as there was still no bark.

12:41 - 246/165 - Still no bark! I reloaded a bunch of coals in to the Smokenator and decided to call it a night.
1:18 - 241/171 - Had to do one last check!

Sunday Morning

5:49 - 235/196 - There was barely any coals left in the Smokenator and water pan was dry. Point was kind of probe tender, but the flat definitely was not. For some more detail on IT, it was 202 on the side of the flat closest to the Smokenator, 169 on the point farthest from the heat (incidentally, this was the softest part), 194 in the middle of the brisket, and 207 on the point closest to the heat.

6:40 - 253/198 - Point is definitely prob tender. Flat is almost getting there. IT was 183 at flat farthest from fire, 202 at flast closest to fire and 193.5 in the middle.
6:57 - 244/201 - Almost probe tender everwhere!

7:20 - 237/203 - I really want to pull...it's almost probe tender everywhere except for a few points on the flat.
7:45 - 241/205 - Still the same as before, but I just can't wait anymore! I pull it, foil and stick in a cooler until about 12 noon. (IT around noon was like 170, I believe.)

Here are the finished results!! The point was incredibly tender and was just about the closest you can be to falling apart with it actually doing so. The flat was not nearly as tender but still very good. I noticed that there was still a lot of fat on the bottom of the flat. I should have trimmed more.

All in all, a super delicious meal. Can't wait for my next one. What do you suggest to try and get the point and flat perfectly tender? I've read that the point, being the fattier meat, will almost always be more tender. Is that true?

Looks fantastic, nice bark!

For the flat, waiting until that probe feels like it's entering soft butter is the best way to make sure you get a nice tender flat. You can of course inject with a number of products that can help, but making sure that connective tissue has broken down is the only way to guarantee it's ready to go.

Nice first brisket! Just worry about the thickest part of he flat when doing a poke test instead of poking more holes in it than a Heroine addict. That is the last place to get tender if it is tender the the rest is gonna be just fine.

That looks way better than my 1st through 4th attempts!

Looks good! Which Costco did you get the packer from? That's the first time I'm seeing a whole packer from Costco in our area.

Looks good! Which Costco did you get the packer from? That's the first time I'm seeing a whole packer from Costco in our area.

Never mind. I just saw Burbank

Yup, it was the Burbank one. I was there again this past weekend and didn't see any. Hopefully they will be getting them in consistently. I thought it was a great price for prime.

Sweetttt. Another local memeber? :). I also saw the prime brisket at burbank as well. I dont think the Pacoima location had them

Nice brisket. Damn they're expensive around me. I just saw 16lb choice packer for $60. Choice flats are $5.99/lb Just paid $30 for a 5lb flat im going to do tomorrow.

Last edited:
Certified Angus Beef? Prime? 2.59/lb?! Costco?!?! Man, what a find! I've never seen such quality beef (let alone a brisket packer) at either the Pacoima or Northridge Costcos. Time for me to head on over to the Burbank one!

Nice cook, by the way!

Yup, it was the Burbank one. I was there again this past weekend and didn't see any. Hopefully they will be getting them in consistently. I thought it was a great price for prime.

I hope so too. I'll keep my eyes open. You bet that's great price. I usually go to the one in Pacoima since Burbank is way to crowded but for a brisket like that I'll go there. Btw I'm in the Lowell Ave area.

Sweetttt. Another local memeber? :). I also saw the prime brisket at burbank as well. I dont think the Pacoima location had them

The Foothills representin'! :becky: Long time bro how've you been?

I hope so too. I'll keep my eyes open. You bet that's great price. I usually go to the one in Pacoima since Burbank is way to crowded but for a brisket like that I'll go there. Btw I'm in the Lowell Ave area.

Ever been to Sevan Chicken near the In and Out? That place is great!!

Ever been to Sevan Chicken near the In and Out? That place is great!!

I've been there a few times about 6-7 years ago. I didn't like it too much to be honest but hey that was a long time ago. I see cops eat there all the time and you mentioning it too maybe they turned things around. Not too many good places on Foothill Blvd.

Excellent post! Thanks for the pics with temp updates. The finished product looks great!

Back