MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
nlsteve
Found some matches.

Default Big Green Egg rehab

Hi folks.
I just acquired this, which I think is a large BGE. $125.
Going to try to whip it into shape. See the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/smarschke/BGE#

I was wondering what you think I should do (if anything) regarding the crack through part of the lid. Squish in some JB Weld??
I do hope to do some high temperature cooks, as well as the low & slow stuff.

Any other suggestions (including repainting advice) are also welcome. Also, if anyone has a serviceable used large firebox they want to sell please let me know.

I did post this on the BGE forum, but it pretty much got swept away with the tide of new threads. . . .

Thanks, Steve
nlsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I use Axner patch on my heat treating furnace fire bricks, it runs at 1875 F. The stuff comes ready to use, just press it into the crack with a flexible putty knife. Sands easy too.

http://www.axner.com/
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsteve View Post
Hi folks.
I just acquired this, which I think is a large BGE. $125.
Going to try to whip it into shape. See the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/smarschke/BGE#

I was wondering what you think I should do (if anything) regarding the crack through part of the lid. Squish in some JB Weld??
I do hope to do some high temperature cooks, as well as the low & slow stuff.

Any other suggestions (including repainting advice) are also welcome. Also, if anyone has a serviceable used large firebox they want to sell please let me know.

I did post this on the BGE forum, but it pretty much got swept away with the tide of new threads. . . .

Thanks, Steve

Screw the BGE forum! If its not a gen-you-wine Big Green Egg they will moderate and delete the post.

What you have is a Kamado, as to what brand, that is the million dollar question. I've used Hercules High Temp Furnace Cement to repair mine. I'd be curious to see how the Axner product works? I have tried Red Devil and Rutland cements that had 2000* ratings and failed.

The Imperial Kamado site USED to have repair tips and a link to Kamado King, but the domain name has expired and with it went a wealth of info and historical pics. So you might try the New Kamado King or E-bay for a firebox.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Nick@ParkAQ
Full Fledged Farker

I agree the high heat cements apply easily and last a long time also High Heat Paints are readily available in many colors and some are even textured so you can get the kids or the missus to help with the "design". Restoration is useful and fun and when you're done hopefully you'll have a place to Park it. Congrats on the rescue and have fun!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
W_2004
Found some matches.

Default Imperial Kamado

It sure looks a helluva lot like my Imperial Kamado from the mid 80's.
Right down to the faded colours :)

large image:
http://image.bayimg.com/haolkaacm.jpg
W_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
rlt
On the road to being a farker

You should check here. This site has wealth of info on ceramic cookers, all brands and ages.

www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
nlsteve
Found some matches.

Default update

Update from the OP:

Thanks for the info, guys.

Yeah, I heard conflicting opinions about the make of this kamado.
A BGE company rep said it looked like one of their older models made of "fire clay" instead of ceramic, and meant to operate only up to around 400 degrees.

My final decision is not to work too hard on the rehab. I am going to try to jury-rig a new firebox out of some terracotta pots, and use it for "low & slow" cooking until I re-sell it. When I do re-sell it, it will be with full disclosure.

BGE or not, it is basically a clay kamado.

If anybody has an extra firebox they think might fit, even if used & cracked, I'd be interested in buying it if it's cheap.

Thanks again --

Steve
nlsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge, big green egg, Kamado, repair