• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smithfield extra tender

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
anyone else try them? opinions?

I first heard about them in the comp section. there was this massive thread, to be honest I didn't even know if it was real or just a troll post but I tried them anyway.

after a few goes at it I've decided that I think I like em.

I hung a rack today that I rubbed with oakridge bbq secret weapon on the barrel house cooker. after about 2 hrs I wrapped them in foil with some kosmos bbq sauce and put them on the grate for 30 minutes. after a ten minute rest I removed from the foil and returned for another 15 minutes to let the glaze setup.

this has become my goto method/cooker for ribs.

I never gave them a 2nd look. I thought they were enhanced and would be hammy tasting. I knew comp guys loved them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I never gave them a 2nd look. I thought they were enhanced and would be hammy tasting. I knew comp guys loved them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I remember trying a long time ago and decided they were hammy and didn't like them. by the time I tried them again my process had changed alot and they have worked for me. I think I used to rub in advance which could be a factor and I'm cooking on drums instead of a stick burner.

Yep...being discontinued. Got an email from a local meat supplier about it. I wouldnt be surprised to find some other big box supplier to decide an extra 15% by weight profits is too much to resist and fills the void :becky: I cooked em a few times all comp saucy like and thought they were alright.

Don't get used to them unfortunately. They are being discontinued.

Yep...being discontinued. Got an email from a local meat supplier about it. I wouldnt be surprised to find some other big box supplier to decide an extra 15% by weight profits is too much to resist and fills the void :becky: I cooked em a few times all comp saucy like and thought they were alright.

So they are gonna move away from enhanced ribs altogether? I cant believe there is no replacement/ rebranding. If these recent cooks taught me anything its to consider the merits of brining or marinating ribs in the future.

those are about as best looking ribs I have seen Steve!

Thanks Tom. I don't post cooks as much I as use to these days. Every once and awhile I have to show these whippersnappers what's up

i've had some that have had a rubber taste. yes rubber. then on that comp thread a well known pitmaster said they taste like warm hot dogs. ever since i read that yup they taste like hotdogs. no mas.

Tyson already has.

Great job on the ribs Steve, My local Walmart used to carry the Extra Tender Ribs, have not seen them for awhile. I always liked them and had great luck cooking them.

I think Tyson's more salt water and ET's had phosphates pumped in them. I guess you could make the point that it's all salt?

The old tyson ribs (always have been enhanced) were just a basic solution. It is my understanding that the "tender and juicy" line should be pretty comparable to the ET's. Wal-marts around here started carrying them around 3 months ago.

Back