MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default cost of sandblasting a 250 gallon smoker

I just finished building my 250 gallon reverse flow smoker and am now ready to have it sandblasted and painted. Does anyone have an idea what would be a reasonable cost to have it sandblasted? Thanks
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

See if you can rent a sand blaster. Then your cost is only in the sand and rent. Are you going to paint it yourself? If not sand blasting should be part of the normal prep to paint.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

look into getting it blasted with dry ice.....good for the enviorment and no sand cleanup
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
10elawncare
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwood View Post
look into getting it blasted with dry ice.....good for the enviorment and no sand cleanup
Just heard about that somewhere.. can't remember where. Check United Rentals or Sunbelt Rentals, both are big rental companies throughout much of the U.S. I have never used S.B but U.N is top notch, call monday morning and you will have a quote and a delivery time by lunch!
10elawncare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

Soda Blasting. Uses a larger grain of Sodium Bicarb. This stuff explodes when it hits, does a fantastic job and its baking soda!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodablasting

Jeff

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

In Milwaukee, I can go to a place called 'U-Blast'. It's a place that you can pay by the hour for sand blasting/bead blasting, etc. They help ya get set up, teach you a bit, etc.
Perhaps you have a place like that near you?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Ron, its about $50 to $60 an hour around here to have it done. My guess would be around 4 hours. Hope this helps!
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

in Seattle sandblasting is around $90 an hour, and I think 4 hours is optimistic. I put up a Costco canopy, tooled up a sandblaster, and blasted my own. It was messy beyond all belief but still enormously cheaper than having it done.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Pyle's BBQ, Gotwood, 10 elawncare, Brewerjamie15, Thank you for the information. My biggest problem with these ideas is that I live in a VERY small town and right in the middle of nowhere. I know I will have to tow the smoker to the sandblaster to have the work done. Small town living is great but there are a few disadvantages and this is one of them.

Jeff S. Thanks for the soda idea. When I find someone I will ask about this.

Shane, Thanks. I was thinking it would cost about this also. I hope it doesn't take any longer than 4 hours or there goes my whole monthly retirement check

Seattlepitboss, is the high cost due to the fact that the sand is always wet? Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I lived in Tacoma for about 4 years so I had to throw that in. I am not sure I could do or want to do the work myself but it would be cheaper and Iam all about cheap.
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Check with your closest auto body shop, they should have a sand blaster. Maybe work something out for trade. BBQ for paint.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote