MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
egorham
On the road to being a farker

Default Creekstone Farms Ribs & Pork Butt

Has anyone used Creekstone Farms St. Louis Ribs or Pork Butts in competition? How is the quality? Are all of the racks/butts good or are they hit & miss like Costco/Sam's Club. Trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money. With the free shipping the extra cost is only about $30 more than buying local which might be worth it if all products is usable in competitions. I find that I can't use about 1/3 of the commodity ribs in competitions and about 1/2 of the butts. I looked at Compart, which gets great reviews, but they charge too much for shipping to CA (2x the cost of the meat at a minimum).

Thanks,

Last edited by egorham; 04-07-2015 at 09:53 PM..
egorham is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I use the ribs, they average 2.75lb / rack and generally are good. They're Duroc so they can be a little smaller but the marbling is great.

The butts are very tasty but they;re on the small side for me.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #3
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I tried them one time.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #4
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

I have used the butts, they have great flavor but they do run small--really not going to get a usable money muscle from my experience, and it is limited
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
egorham

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Tried the ribs once. Ordered a package of 8. Was very disappointed in them. Of the 8, 3 of them were what I'd consider contest worthy racks with straight bones and having enough meat on them. The rest were worthless.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Tried the ribs once. Ordered a package of 8. Was very disappointed in them. Of the 8, 3 of them were what I'd consider contest worthy racks with straight bones and having enough meat on them. The rest were worthless.
This seems to be the case with any ribs. I usually buy 9 and hope to get 3-4 decent ones.. much rather do this at $35 a 3-pack at Costco than the cost of online alternatives, where you still have to do the same thing.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
lazyjacres
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
I tried them one time.
I think you and I tried the combo pack at the same contest. 1 and done for me!
Ole' Hickory EL
Hunsaker Drum Smoker
Pull Behind Reverse Flow
lazyjacres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
egorham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
This seems to be the case with any ribs. I usually buy 9 and hope to get 3-4 decent ones.. much rather do this at $35 a 3-pack at Costco than the cost of online alternatives, where you still have to do the same thing.
That is why I asked the question. I wanted to hear that they were charging more but doing a better job of quality control so the net of it was the same or lower price per competition grade rib. I guess if SRF will send out $200 briskets with flats so thin they aren't usable in competition I can't expect duroc ribs/butts to do any better.

Thanks for all of the replies, seems like it saved me some money and it is very appreciated.

I am not sure if this is true nationwide but it is in CA, Costco is carrying Good Nature ribs 2 to pack, a little more expensive because it is antibiotic/hormone free but you can see the top rack clearly and the bones on the second rack so I have found I get a better yield out of them

Old 04-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
bigJ
Got Wood.

I used the ribs in my last 2 contests last year and got second place both times. The flavor was fantastic.
bigJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post
That is why I asked the question. I wanted to hear that they were charging more but doing a better job of quality control so the net of it was the same or lower price per competition grade rib. I guess if SRF will send out $200 briskets with flats so thin they aren't usable in competition I can't expect duroc ribs/butts to do any better.

Thanks for all of the replies, seems like it saved me some money and it is very appreciated.

I am not sure if this is true nationwide but it is in CA, Costco is carrying Good Nature ribs 2 to pack, a little more expensive because it is antibiotic/hormone free but you can see the top rack clearly and the bones on the second rack so I have found I get a better yield out of them
Well, with Wagyu, most of us are stuck with throwing caution to the wind and ordering on-line. A majority of what I get is pretty decent.. If Costco, or someone else carried wagyu briskets that I can go thru, I'd do that instead in a heartbeat.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #12
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjacres View Post
When did you try them? Creekstone changed their rib spec not too long ago due to complaints about small, thin non straight racks. The ribs I got last year were hit or miss but so far this year I've gotten good consistent quality. Call them up, talk to them and see if they'll do anything for you. I know there is a lot of attention on the rib program at Creekstone right now.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjacres View Post
Yep. I turned in my cheap Sam's Club stuff. I'll try anything once, but I always hedge!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #14
alexf

Quote:
Originally Posted by egorham View Post

Which Costco? San Ramon or Concord? May have to swing by and check it out.
alexf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #15
egorham

Both San Ramon & Concord. I found Concord has a better selection.