MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
mjljr13
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default kcbs sauce

Hey talk I haven't ever posted on here, but I've been on here searching for over a year. Now I need some help" I've Ben cooking kcbs for over a year now I haven't taken a class (but going to in the off season!) I use bovine bold on butt and brisket, use butchers honey on ribs and chicken. I'm despratly looking for a sauce now I've tried butchers competition sweet rub lotta bull and many others and they just haven't worked. Butchers has been the best. What do y'all think about blues hog for kcbs comps in chicken ribs and butt category? What would y'all suggest I've seen bub-ba-q has a sauce had anyone tried it? Ivknow he's got great brisket rub! Thanks all sorry for the lengthy post.
mjljr13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
guntera
Got Wood.

Try Head Country if they have it near you.
guntera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Generally the sanctioning body doesn't have as much to do with your choices as the region you're cooking in. Since it seems you're primarily cooking KCBS competitions though, I'd recommend attending a CBJ class then judge a few contests in your area. Spend plenty of time picking the other judges' brains and making mental notes of what's working and what doesn't, then apply that knowledge to your recipes when you compete.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

50/50 Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennesee Red seem to be a pretty popular choice. Do be careful though: Talk in the judges tent is that that particular flavor profile may be falling out of fashion. It seems that the extraordinarily sweet sauces are not as popular as they were a year or two ago. At least that's what I've been hearing in the tent.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
mjljr13
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the replies. I know more ppl will chime in. My problem with the judging is........I wanna compete :-) but will definitely do that.......judge.....ask.....LISTEN
mjljr13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I agree with Josh ^^^^^ about judging a few comps. But then again, I think that judges should cook every once in a while, too.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
50/50 Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennesee Red seem to be a pretty popular choice. Do be careful though: Talk in the judges tent is that that particular flavor profile may be falling out of fashion. It seems that the extraordinarily sweet sauces are not as popular as they were a year or two ago. At least that's what I've been hearing in the tent.

This may be coming to fruition. I have been hearing this as well. With everyone going to 50/50 blues hog & tenn red this type of flavor profile may be getting old.

Judges are just starting to get sick of eating it. May be a good time to switch it up.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I talked with a judge Saturday after St. Peters who was complaining about the proliferation of "Blues Hog Chicken", but felt that was changing some........
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjljr13 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know more ppl will chime in. My problem with the judging is........I wanna compete :-) but will definitely do that.......judge.....ask.....LISTEN
For me it was like the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words". Seeing what comes across the table and what worked as well as what doesn't was GOLD.

I dont use your specific rubs. However, I do suggest doing what we did when we were trying to decide which sauces goes with what. I cooked my competition pork and beef, and we had a sauce tasting party (with 12 of us there). I made 15 or 16 base sauces, some over-the-counter, others were recipes. For giggles we took bets as to who thought what would go best with the barbecue. Turns out we all lost. The best tasting sauce didnt work well with our rubs/injections at all; it conflicted with the spices and it was a little overpowering. At the end we narrowed it down to 4 sauces (amongst the 12 of us), and then we began mixing and matching because what one sauce lacked another had, etc. Ends up we now use a combination of 3 sauces, and all 12 of us agreed it was the best.

I suggest doing something similar. Have a sauce party and try LOTS of them. You'll be surprised as to what works and what doesn't work.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
QueNivorous
On the road to being a farker

Many teams use Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Head Country, and the new Blues Hog. I have heard both that Judges love it and that they are getting tired of it. Maybe we can get a few certified judges to give us their sauce opinions.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Slabs.com sauce for chicken is great
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Slabs.com sauce for chicken is great
What if you want to do better than 13th place?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
OUCH!! but really though, the proliferation of teams using blues hog, so much so that judges are getting tired of it, to me show a problem on both sides of the fence. perhaps judges would not be getting tired of it had they not picked it for wins so many times that a majority of teams use it trying to achieve that result. teams using blues hog just trying to get wins, are cooking to please a judge and not cooking what THEY feel is best. i think what LAKE DOGS said was the best advice. cook what you feel is best for your BBQ! if everyone did this you would not have an over abundance of blues hog in the tent. IMHO
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Why would anybody want to do that? 13th place chicken paid out 1300 at the battle of the brethren last month
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I am using different variations of Blues Hog but will be looking to try something different next year. Currently on Chicken I use original Blues Hog thinned with pineapple juice, ribs original Blues Hog thinned with apple juice and pork I use original and Tennessee Red.

At my last contest, for peoples choice, I put several different sauces for people to put on the meat and by a HUGE margin the new Blues Hog Smokey Mountain was used and asked about. Since this was just adding to the already served meat flavors may be different for my sauced comp meat but this one was so popular I feel I have to give it a shot.
Fat Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote