MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Blowin' Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ceramic cooker?

I've been in the market for a RF smoker for a few years now. Originally I didn't want to spend the money but wanted the extra grate space so I opted for a pellet pooper. Now two years later I'm selling it and was ready to pull the trigger on a new Shirley Fabrication rig, but found out there's a 20 month wait. That's a looooooong wait. I'll be parting with my pellet smoker but will still have my 18.5" WSM. I'd like a bit more grate space so I'm considering the 22.5" WSM, or getting an XL BGE or Big Joe. I'm leaning more towards the ceramic grills for more versatility to get me through that 20 month wait. So guys who have both a 22.5" WSM and a ceramic, do you find that you can do a moderate amount of smoking on the ceramic? Any input is appreciated!

Also I'm a noob, so be gentle.
Blowin' Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

WSM. More Room, Better for Smoking. or build a UDS. Or a Weber 26" Kettle- great for grilling AND Smoking.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
SmittyJonz

Even Better - An Assassin Grill.........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=212864

Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #4
Pstores
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Even Better - An Assassin Grill.........

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=212864
In my humble opinion I have to agree with Smitty. Also I never liked the BGE for smoking. It's just way to efficient. Not much flavor. But it does make the best pizzas and really good nuclear steaks. If your looking for something to do both. I'd go the Assassin way.
Lone Star Grillz Large with reversed cart, Meadow Creek TS120p insulated firebox and stainless front shelf. Sent to a better home to be used like a stick burner should be. Weber Charcoal Summit, Cabelas Pro 100, ready to build UDS, Retired the Big Green Egg XL and Treager 070....
Pstores is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Go ceramic. It's about as close as you can ever get to an all in one package. Fuel efficient and a good smoker. Has a lighter smoke profile so just use a couple extra chunks of wood. Kamado Joe just came out not to long ago with a better gasket. Kind of reminds of the Akorn gasket but better made. So maybe check one of those out.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=247611

Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I own a 22 WSM and love it. I also own a Kamado style cooker as well. I would recommend a Kamado as I believe that style of cooker is more versatile.
Good luck on whatever you decide.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

A ceramic is a versatile cooking tool and as noted phenomenally fuel efficient. It isn't going to match a stick burner, or even a UDS for bark but I'll match my Primo's ribs, butt, or steaks against any cooker. The Primo XL oval can handle an average packer and matches perfectly with a PartyQ for Low-N-Slo 12+ hour sessions. It boils down to your style and preferences. The Primo is made here in the USA unlike most of the other ceramics.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #9
CeramicChef
Full Fledged Farker

I kicked my custom built reverse flow stick burner to the curb 2 weeks after I got my first BGE. Three day after that my gasser joined the stick burner on the curb. I've cooked exclusively on ceramics for over 20 years and never once ever thought about ever going back to a stick burner, gasser, or kettle.

A good ceramic like the BGE or Kamado Joe is the most versatile cooker you can own. In knowledgeable hands, a ceramic can lay more smoke on a cook than you can imagine ever coming from a stick burner. It's all in how you load your cooker.

A ceramic can some, braise, do low-n-slow cooks, bake, and is a complete replacement for the kitchen oven. A good ceramic is a convection oven on your patio. As I said earlier, a ceramic is the single most versatile cooker you can own.

Once you understand cooking on a kamado, it probably will make you save your money and forget aout a dedicated cooker. It just makes good economic sense.

No matter your decision, I wish you great cooks!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I think CeramicChef is a little biased. I would pm him. Sounds like he might know a couple things.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
LogRat2
Got rid of the matchlight.

I started with an egg 4 years ago but since have built two UDS's. l love the BGE for brisket and butts, steaks and pizza, but prefer the UDS for chicken and ribs. Still a lot to learn though.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #12
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

6 BGEs (1 XL, 2 L, 1 Med, 1 MM & 1 Mini) and 4 WSMs (1 22", 1 18", & 2 14"s) are in my arsenal. I love the smoke on my WSMs, but for some reason, I'm in love with the eggs and cook on them all the time. i don't think you can lose with either. Better get both. And a 26.75 kettle.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #13
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

A ceramic is extremely versatile. One of the main advantages is that it allows me to smoke all year round using little fuel, even when it's below zero. That should not be an issue for you. What concerns me is that you suggest purchasing the BGE to get you through 20 months until your Shirley is ready. That is a pretty big investment for only 20 months. One thing also mentioned is that ceramics are light on the smoke. I personally don't find this to be a problem at all, but you should be aware of it. Pellet poopers also are light on smoke. You didn't mention that this was an issue for you. If that is the case, you should be fine with the BGE or any other ceramic.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For versatility,a ceramic and ALL THE EXTRA things they tell you to buy to make it perform to it's potential, is very versatile.Most of those added gadgets can be hacked for pennies on the dollar.They are nice for small cooks.I have the G Eggs,WSM'S and Kettles as well as a stick burner for really large cooks.85% of my cooks are done on the Weber Kettle or the 22 WSM.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #15
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeramicChef View Post
I kicked my custom built reverse flow stick burner to the curb 2 weeks after I got my first BGE. Three day after that my gasser joined the stick burner on the curb. I've cooked exclusively on ceramics for over 20 years and never once ever thought about ever going back to a stick burner, gasser, or kettle.

A good ceramic like the BGE or Kamado Joe is the most versatile cooker you can own. In knowledgeable hands, a ceramic can lay more smoke on a cook than you can imagine ever coming from a stick burner. It's all in how you load your cooker.

A ceramic can some, braise, do low-n-slow cooks, bake, and is a complete replacement for the kitchen oven. A good ceramic is a convection oven on your patio. As I said earlier, a ceramic is the single most versatile cooker you can own.

Once you understand cooking on a kamado, it probably will make you save your money and forget aout a dedicated cooker. It just makes good economic sense.

No matter your decision, I wish you great cooks!
I agree, it is how you load it. You just need more wood than you would traditionally use with a ceramic if you want more smoke flavor. But yes, you won't get the same bark since it is a moist heat and not dry like a stick burner. I had a UDS that worked great but the wife didn't like the look so it gave me an excuse to upgrade. I can definitely oversmoke food in the Joe's(and that is with TBS) if I want too so people that claim "light smoke profile only" imo don't know what they are doing. Just my 2c. But what do I know.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote