MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #121
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I never saw alligator coming.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #122
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
It looks sooooo good, but "Lesser Known"??? I know I said your super beefy beef ribs would be in, but Tri-Tip is pushing it.
It's kind of like sauce from a jar in a "Saucy" throwdown, ain't it? Yes, I am getting a certain amount of really warped satisfaction out of this.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #123
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'll throw this dog, er, lamb into the fight! Course, dog, would have been a REALLY lesser known cut!

Some Jerk Seasoned Lamb Shoulder Blade Chop with egg noods and green stuff with nuts, cranberries and some red dressing stuff..........it's supposta be healthy for you. What eva.

It was damn good! More details in QT later.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #124
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I never saw alligator coming.
Famous last words?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #125
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Great looking lamb, Bob. I love that salad.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #126
Gore
Phizzy

This one is a slight variation of some other cooks, but I've never actually seen a post on it specifically. It is salmon candy made from the salmon belly. For those who have cured and smoked salmon, you realize that the belly portion is very different from the rest. It is thin and fatty and when it is smoked with sugar, you have something similar to candy. The nearest I can liken it to is pig candy, but I actually prefer salmon candy. I begin with a salmon (I've already trimmed off the tail). The best portion is nearest the head, but I will trim off the entire bottom section.

I make a cure of 4:1, brown sugar:Kosher salt. It normally takes about 2 cups total.

I place the salmon pieces in a bag coated both sides in dry cure, put some weights on it (bags of brown sugar, usually) and place it back in the fridge overnight. Next morning, I rinse the pieces, pat them dry and let them rest a couple hours while I prepare the smoker.

I make a small fire with a big chunk of cherry wood for smoke. I aim for 175*, but anywhere between 150* and 200* is pretty good. I then coat both sides of the salmon with real maple syrup.

And a healthy coating of fresh ground pepper.

To make candy, I add another coating of maple syrup after the pepper, then I smoke for between 2-4 hours (until done). This is normally about 145* IT, but I know it when I see it.

And what does that belly look like?

You can eat it with crackers, but I normally just eat the candy plain.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #127
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantastic Gore. Now I have another thing to add to my list of things to try after my Alaska trip this fall.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #128
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Salmon Bacon!!!

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #129
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
This one is a slight variation of some other cooks, but I've never actually seen a post on it specifically. It is salmon candy made from the salmon belly. For those who have cured and smoked salmon, you realize that the belly portion is very different from the rest. It is thin and fatty and when it is smoked with sugar, you have something similar to candy. The nearest I can liken it to is pig candy, but I actually prefer salmon candy. I begin with a salmon (I've already trimmed off the tail). The best portion is nearest the head, but I will trim off the entire bottom section.

I make a cure of 4:1, brown sugar:Kosher salt. It normally takes about 2 cups total.

I place the salmon pieces in a bag coated both sides in dry cure, put some weights on it (bags of brown sugar, usually) and place it back in the fridge overnight. Next morning, I rinse the pieces, pat them dry and let them rest a couple hours while I prepare the smoker.

I make a small fire with a big chunk of cherry wood for smoke. I aim for 175*, but anywhere between 150* and 200* is pretty good. I then coat both sides of the salmon with real maple syrup.

And a healthy coating of fresh ground pepper.

To make candy, I add another coating of maple syrup after the pepper, then I smoke for between 2-4 hours (until done). This is normally about 145* IT, but I know it when I see it.

And what does that belly look like?

You can eat it with crackers, but I normally just eat the candy plain.
Dooode!!! You are killing me! Salmon Candy!!!!!!!!! I can literally taste all of those flavors. Real Maple and coarse pepper.........what a great contrast! LOVE IT!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #130
colonel00

Well, against my better judgement, I will go ahead and add my entry. There are already some fantastic entries so I am once again hoping for the coveted goose egg. Since I cooked this yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I might as well share.

My choice of lesser known cut was a hunk of venison backstrap. As some may know, it technically is the loin of the deer. Now, a loin may not be very rare, but since this loin comes from the only mule deer that I have ever harvested, I find that quite rare

So, I started with this good sized chunk of backstrap. Since venison runs very lean, I decided to do a fancy bacon weave to help keep it moist.

After the weave was done I coated the meat with a thin layer of steak dust and a good coating of Santa Maria rub from The Rub Co.

Then the bacon was wrapped around the meat and dusted with a little more rub.

From there it went onto the grill, indirect along with some chicken. I was doing some other stuff so I didn't quite pull it when I had wanted and the IT crept up to 145*.

Inside it came and it was sliced up for a delicious meal with some red beans and rice.

(I think I almost like this pic better than the plated photos)

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #131
colonel00

Double post

Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #132
ecode
On the road to being a farker

We've been cooking flap meat for well over a decade. This probably would've been more popular if it wasn't called, "flap meat" -- what were they thinking . It is a portion of the loin section and quite small, so there is not much on a cow. They used to cut this piece up and mix it with the stew meat. It is exceptionally tender, however, and Costco started selling it as a separate cut. It used to be about half the price of ribeye, but it has become quite popular and the cost is about the same now.

It has a very hearty, beefy flavor and takes a marinade well.

Because of its odd shape, we generally cube it up and turn it into kebabs.

We've cooked these plain like steak, with just rub, or we'll marinade for a few hours.

We cook these up hot and fast. Generally we serve these on rice. This is some curried rice with lentils that I'd made. Gore also loves roasted red peppers.

Thanks for looking!

MY Primo Oval, Fire Pit, Revolation Chocolate Temperer, Nesco Coffee Roaster,
Bray Coucke Mandolin, 2 KitchenAid Mixers, Cuisinart 14-cup Food Processor, Pie Irons
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #133
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Wow...

What a flurry of great entries...

I'm glad I didn't jump in on this Throwdown, although the chances of another zero would have been pretty good.

(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #134
TOPPER-Q
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Wow, never would have thunk... that puppy looks awsome..., hope ya dont mind but I'm gonna give that a whirl.....
TOPPER-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #135
BIGBrandon2785
Full Fledged Farker

Man I should fire up the grill and smoke some Beefalo.................that gator looks good too.
BIGBrandon2785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grilled ass, has anybody seen the bridge?, Jumped the what?, lesser meat cant be beat, Long Pork Burnt Ends, Mystery Meat, Pole sausage, What is it?, Who smoked Biggie's pole?, You Smoked What ?