breaded pork tenderloin, anyone make them from scratch?

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We are thinking about adding these to the menu. Was wonder if anyone make these and the process. Tho is one thing I have never made. Any help would be appreciated.

I make tonkatsu, which are slices of pork that are pounded thin, breaded in panko and fried. Is that sort of what you are talking about? I used to make 15 to 20 orders a night, I am pretty fast at it, used to be really fast.

Believe he is referring to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_tenderloin_sandwich

desloines.jpg

I have played around with deep fried and pan fried pork tenderloin and sirloin for a long time now. I actually prefer the sirloin due to the added fat, however, here is what we did to make the Tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet) in the restaurant.

Kobe Restaurant Tonkatsu

1 untrimmed, peeled tenderloin (meaning, we leave the fat cap on, but remove the membrane)
flour for dusting
2 eggs, whipped and room temp.
1/4 cup lowfat milk
2 cups 50/50 fine panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper (I use black pepper at home, but, white pepper in the restaurant was used)

At home, I fry in high heat grapeseed oil, however for the restaurant, we used high heat fry oil blend.

1. the egg and milk should be whisked together, strained to remove any albumen clumps.

2. Tenderloin was sliced into 1/2" thick medallions.

3. The panko and 1/2 cup flour are blended and tossed to coat the panko with flour

4. Using a serrated meat mallet, each medallion was pounded in each side to achieve a 3/16" thickness. This worked much better than a jacquard or smooth mallet. Doing both sides left us with fork tender tenderloins while allowing some thickness.

5. Dust all tenderloins after pounding and let sit on rack in fridge for at least 15 minutes to cure flour.

6. Dip tenderloin when ordered, first into egg wash, then into panko. Set on rack to cure for 5 minutes.

7. Deep fry until golden in 350°F oil, it will be done when golden

8. Set on grate to drain

What about using pork loin for the meat? I am going to try it with a loin. The standard in Iowa is to have the cutlet as big as a dinner plate. I am having a hard time getting it that big. I may need to butterfly a slice of loin and then pound it out to the above thickness. The thing I don't like about most of the ones I have had is that they are too thin. I would like to have them thicker just too be different.

I have used pork loin, it works just fine. The guys in Iowa that I have seen that get it thin are just pounding the bejeezus out of a 1/2" to 3/4" thick tenderloin until it is paper thin. I really dislike that, as I think it doesn't taste like pork anymore.

However, I saw those elephant ear ones and thought about it. What I arrived at was to slice 3/4" thick medallions on a bias, so you end up with a larger medallion of pork to begin with (like slicing a 2" wide baguetts on a bias gets you a 4" long peice of bread). Once you pound that out to 1/4" thick, you end up with a much larger piece of meat

Pork loin is $1.68/#. I could use a 8 ounce piece and still make money on a sandwich. Do you think butterflying would help?

Yes. Just one more slice of prep

And dsmmitall! Now I want fried pork cutlets

Back