Bone in Ham Question.....and a Moink Ball Question

Mat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I ended up buying a 9lb (its not gonna be enough, might buy a second) bone in ham shank from BJs. It's water packed and partially cooked.

My questions are these:

1.) I plan to do a salt free simple, not complicated rub with pineapples toothpicked to it. I also want to glaze it. When does the glaze go on and can anyone recommend a good glaze? I've bookmarked a few on the site.

2.) This isnt the whole ham, do I cook it with the cut side down? I've seen it done every which way searching online and this site.

3.) 150 internal temp ok?

Now for Moink balls.........got a good rub for these? I'm serving a bunch of people so i want to be a little conservative. And they wont need sauce correct?

Thanks guys

Well for the MOINK Balls I use Plowboys Yardbird rub.

Second, you don't have to sauce them. That's a personal preference. I prefer mine glazed with a 50/50 mixture of BBQ sauce and grape jelly. Original MOINK Balls used a Raspberry Chipotle Balsamic Glaze.

At least that's the story as I heard it...

Don't listen to Larry, he doesn't know anything about MOINK balls :) j/k

I don't know about the ham, but I have cooked hundreds of MOINK balls...with several glazes/sauces/and rubs. I like Yardbird. I love Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy on them. I usually serve the sauces/glazes on the side, so people can choose. Usually three or more of these:
1. Plain BBQ sauce
2. Ranch dressing mixed 50/50 with BBQ sauce
3. 50/50 apple jelly and jalapeno jelly (or hot pepper jelly) thinned with A.M. as needed.
4. Apple jelly with diced habeneros, thinned with A.J.
5. crap, I can't think of the others. #3 is my go-to!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Anyone care to chime in about the ham? Im mostly concerned with how to place the ham on the smoker

Sent from my DROIDX

I have done this type of ham a few times on my BGE and have always placed the cut side down, however I don't believe that it would matter how you place it. I bring the temp up to 165-175.

not complicated rub with pineapples toothpicked to it.

Rub with brown sugar, place pineapple, and then wrap the whole thing in cheese cloth so that all sides have a good 5 to 6 layers of cheese cloth. Saturate with maple syrup and cook to temp. I also spritz with pineapple juice drained from the can during the cook.

150° is plenty IMO but the directions typically say 160° to cover their arse.

YMMV

I smoke hams with cut side down but if you're worried about it getting too dry just put a piece of aluminum foil under it but make it big enough to catch any juice that comes out. The ham's already precooked so you can take it to any temp you'd like but i'd keep it relatively low so it doesn't get dry, 150-160. The ham i have curing right now for Xmas eve will be going to about 150 max. I'll be using Dizzy Pigs glaze but with pineapple juice instead of oj.

This is what I do with a ham. A quote from thanksgiving is that it would have been good if served with a shoe so take that for what its worth.

Glaze for ham
Paste for ham
Paste:
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) Dijon mustard
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) ground black pepper
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) cider vinegar
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) onion powder
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
• 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse salt

The night before you are planning to serve the ham, score the fatty side of the ham with wide criss cross cuts 0.6 cm to 1.2 cm (1/4” to 1/2”) deep. Combine paste ingredients in a small bowl. Apply the paste evenly over the entire ham. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove ham from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

This is what I do with a ham. A quote from thanksgiving is that it would have been good if served with a shoe so take that for what its worth.

Glaze for ham
Paste for ham
Paste:
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) Dijon mustard
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) ground black pepper
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) cider vinegar
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) onion powder
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) paprika
• 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse salt

The night before you are planning to serve the ham, score the fatty side of the ham with wide criss cross cuts 0.6 cm to 1.2 cm (1/4” to 1/2”) deep. Combine paste ingredients in a small bowl. Apply the paste evenly over the entire ham. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove ham from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

What about cooking? Sounds good, though...

For a simple and delicious ham, do it "Dogstyle," which means:

1)no rub
2) flat side down
3) cook at 200-250 for 4 hours
4) remove, make criss cross slices and add glaze of your choice and clove
5) cook another hour or so
6) eat

Most times I don't even glaze. A good ham makes a good ham and needs no glaze. Smaller hams take 4 hrs and larger up to 6.

Ham is very forgiving I did a country ham today it turn out really good but I pull it a little too soon was rush.

can any of you guys suggest a rub for the moink balls that isnt prepackaged? cant find those rubs locally........

Mat,
I forgot to add that sometimes I just use my favorite seasoning salt and black pepper. They don't need much seasoning at all, as you'll be getting a smokey flavor and salt from the bacon and usually some seasoning in the meatballs. Are you doing a glaze?

Wasn't sure about a glaze. Didn't wanna mess anything up on the first attempt.

Sent from my DROIDX

Back