MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Smoker Preferences for Catering

I have been cooking on the large reverse flow for a while. Even some on the drum for catering/vending. The reverse flow is getting to be a PIA when I have so much going on. It's more of a "kick back and relax" sort of cooker.
I noticed many use the Southern Pride smokers, but every place I have been to, the food is marginal at best. I need to go a larger, more efficient smoker. But I WON'T sacrifice quality while doing so.

What would you do in my situation?

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I use Backwoods for all my catering long burn times and turns out a great product. There are many different sizes as you business grows. Add a guru and life is just that much easier. They also have auto gas options to add more versatility.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
I use Backwoods for all my catering long burn times and turns out a great product. There are many different sizes as you business grows. Add a guru and life is just that much easier.
that was my suggestion too.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

FEC-300/500

They are pellet fired, and produce killer food. Ultimate in ease of use/volume.... but produces great BBQ to boot.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Look at the Spicewine by Spicewine Ironworks

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

I know it will vary, but how much meat are you cooking at one time usually?
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
FlCracker
Knows what a fatty is.

I use a spicwine.A fiend of mine has a large spicewine and converted it to gas ,works great.He can still use carcoal by sliding the burner out and puutting the charcoal tray back in.
500 gal homebuilt smoker
FlCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #8
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
I have been cooking on the large reverse flow for a while. Even some on the drum for catering/vending. The reverse flow is getting to be a PIA when I have so much going on. It's more of a "kick back and relax" sort of cooker.
I noticed many use the Southern Pride smokers, but every place I have been to, the food is marginal at best. I need to go a larger, more efficient smoker. But I WON'T sacrifice quality while doing so.

What would you do in my situation?
ok so quality we know your not doing brisket lol all i know is my consistency is there with the pellet pooper.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I, for one, don't think there is a wrong or right smoker. This is a dangerous question from Shane. I hope we don't get into a fight. We need to be careful as that is not what this forum is all about, its about loving relations with our brethren. We should all reach around to get along with each other.

I mean smokers are irrelevant in Texas where he have BOTH liquid smoke for a marinade for brisket and Big Red Soda for the smoke ring. Throw it in a crock pot and its so tender. Then all you need is to pour Hunts Original BBQ sauce all over it and send it through the Food processor and it will spread on, provided there's enough sauce added, a nice ritz cracker like liverwurst.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I mean smokers are irrelevant in Texas.
Yeah! They rub two sticks together to start their fires and slow cook the meat for 12 days holding over the fire with their bare fingers and don't sleep the entire 12 days.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I think what he is trying to figure out as I did when I first started my catering business is what will produce a good product and allow me time to run and increase my business with out constant pit watching. I started out with a Lang 84 and quickly found it didn't fit what I wanted to do. There are many pits that will fit his application he just needs to find what will work best and grow with him.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightstuff View Post
Yeah! They rub two sticks together to start their fires and slow cook the meat for 12 days holding over the fire with their bare fingers and don't sleep the entire 12 days.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Shane... the more square or rectangular your pit is, the happier you will be.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
I think what he is trying to figure out as I did when I first started my catering business is what will produce a good product and allow me time to run and increase my business with out constant pit watching. I started out with a Lang 84 and quickly found it didn't fit what I wanted to do. There are many pits that will fit his application he just needs to find what will work best and grow with him.
BBQ Joint in Atlanta had 2 Langs and did a booming business. Business increassed so much the Langs just wouldn't handle the load. They purchased 2 Ole Hickory Smokers and still put out the best BBQ in Atlanta. Give them a call. Its Fox Brothers BBQ in Atlanta and ask for Jonathon.
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

If I had the need, and had the money I think I would go either with a fec 300/500 or a large spicewine. Lots of folks on the site use one or the other of these and i've never read a bad word about them. The FEC would be the ultimate in set it and forget it, but the spicewine might be cheaper (not sure). The Spicewine would feel more traditional to me if that matters at all to you (might not).

For a pure business related purchase looking to get no personal bbq therapy from the smoker I can't see a better cooker than the FEC line.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote