First Beef Cheeks

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'd never done beef cheeks before and decided to try some on a whim today. A trip to Walmart and $8 later I had what I was after. There were three pieces and two were pretty small. Bunch of fat too. Since I have never cooked these before I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Rubbed and on the Hunsaker at 275. 4.5 hours later this is what I ended up with. There was a good amount of fat that will get tossed, but there is still more usable meat than what is seen here. Overall I am happy with it. Might have to do barbacoa next time.

Attachments

• IMG_0798 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_0798 - Edited.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 89
Those cheeks look delicious. I've never seen them or had them, I am however keeping my eyes peeled.

Beef cheeks take some time to clean, and there is a a lot of waste, but the flavor is unbelievable. I think they rival a good burnt end. I like to add slices of sweet onion when I wrap, then when shredding for barbacoa I mix the onion back into the meat.

The Wally World cheeks have too much fat & gristle. Don't bother trying to trim them. After you smoke them, throw them into a foil pan with some beef broth & onions. Seal up and braise for another 3 hours or so. The fat & gristle will disintegrate and the cheeks will be sweet & stickey. Shred for barbacoa tacos. Mmm...

Back