'I Like Big Butz' Pig Pollen Pr0n

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Although I swore I wasn't going to buy any more rubs until my existing rubs are gone, I was placing an order for some Big Butz sauce and low and behold Tom was introducing a new line of rubs. I couldn't help myself and added the sampler package to my order.

P1000393.JPG

The rubs come in a 6oz bag. 2 bags for $9.50. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive mail order rub. I like the small bags. It makes it easy to sample a bunch of rubs. Though, I think at some point he'll need to sell bigger bags. The bags appeal to my environmental side (you know the, "I do what I can when it is easy so I don't feel guilty when I don't give a damn.") Though I spilled a bit (my fault totally) putting it into an old McCormick shaker I had. The shaker also had too small of holes. I got a couple other shakers about empty that would be better. So, Chicken Pow might have to wait until those are empty. :wink:

Taste out of the bag was good. Sweet, has some zesty punch, but not spicy hot. I'm not the best one to describe flavor profiles. So, others can fill in here.

I had a 10# pork butt on hand. Beautiful butt. I injected it with 3/4c apple juice, 1/2c water, 4tb worcestershire sauce, and 2tp of rub. Fridge for 2 hours. As per Tom's instructions the rub was put on the wet butt and a medium to heavy coat of rub on it. Tom tells me it has a lot of spice in it and isn't intended to be a shake and bake coating. I let it sit on the counter for about 20 - 30 minutes while cleaning and then into the fridge for 2 hours.

P1000394.JPG

P1000395.JPG

Then at 8:30 pm it went onto a 240* drum with some hickory. At 10:30pm the smoker went up to 250* - 260*.

When I woke up this morning at 6:30 am the but was at 192*. Not quite there yet. Probably 1:30 to go on the butt. Ahhhhh, just enough time for:

P1000400.JPG

On sale, so I gave it a quick coat of Pig Pollen and onto the smoker. I would have liked to have it sweat on the meat for a while, but no time. 2 hours later on the smoker:
P1000404.JPG

Throw a couple frozen biscuits into the oven, add an fried egg, and I think I have a breakfast worthy of the Brethren.
P1000406.JPG

Oh, but what about the butt?
P1000402.JPG

Man is it looking good. 12 hours on the smoke at 250*. No foil, no muss. Has a nice cherry color to it that doesn't show up well in the photo. Not as dark as I normally end up with, maybe because I used less rub? It is currently in foil in the cooler. It will get served up at 1:00 CST. Planning on pulled pork sandwiches for lunch and pulled pork nachos for the game tonight. I'll post updates later tonight. -Go Bears!

chicago_bears.jpg

No crap really needed about the game. I'm picking Packers, 26 - 16. :tsk:

Great looking butt there!

How did you like that sausage? I get it quite often for breakfast, but haven't tried a fatty with it yet. They also have a smokehouse version that is already smoked for you :) It's pretty tasty.

looks awesome! I did have a snarky comment all dialed up, then I saw your last sentence. You cursed your team by using a WI rub. Definitely post some pulled and plated.

That looks awesome! If I didn't have a couple pork sirloin roasts in towels now I would be begging you for some.....:hungry:

Meat looks good.....obviously not a true Bears fan if you are picking against them :) Doesn't matter what the stats say...you never pick against your team!!!!!

P1000409.JPG

P1000415.JPG

Served up with a light drizzle of Big Butz Cranberry sauce, some homemade applesauce and chips. Pretty tasty. Not my best butt ever. I'm not blaming the rub. I'm not sure. It was a little dry and maybe could have been cooked a little longer, it also had more smoke (not creosote bad smoke, just smoke) than normal. Boy the Cranberry sauce really pops when added to meat and makes it come alive.

I got enough left to do another butt or a couple racks of ribs. I'm going to have to do a rib rub throw down.

Great looking butt there!

How did you like that sausage? I get it quite often for breakfast, but haven't tried a fatty with it yet. They also have a smokehouse version that is already smoked for you :) It's pretty tasty.

The fatty was good. The sausage was onsale for 1/2 off the JD price. Putting it on after 12 hours there wasn't a lot of smoke going at that point, so it didn't take on a very smoky flavor.

Meat looks good.....obviously not a true Bears fan if you are picking against them :) Doesn't matter what the stats say...you never pick against your team!!!!!

You're not from Chicago are you? We love our Bears and will cheer for them until we die. But, we're realist and firmly believe that criticizing the team is our duty.

Now that breakfast sandwich, looks really good. Wow!
I'm going to have to give that a try one morning.

Great looking grub I especially love the egg,sausage, biscuit sandwich I love the bbq too but something about that sandwich :decision:
P1000406.JPG

Looks like some excellent grub! Would love to have seen a pic of the nachos.

Sounds almost like a Vikings fan, "They'll choke and lose in the end but, go team!"

Back