MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
davidparker
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

+1 on the lower temp. As a side note, I have started using dried onion in mine. The loaf holds it shape better, doesn't crumble when slicing, less grease, and I think the flavor is better.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Yeah, pull temp sounds high. Maybe another thing. I do meatloaf on heavy-duty aluminum foil, kinda forming a bowl out of it to retain the 80/20 fat. Never tried directly on the grate, if that's what you did.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #18
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
It looks tasty from here!

For store bought ground meat, I take it to 165F. For home ground, I go lower.
I've put down some beef from a side of beef I get and want to try smoking meatloaf. What temp do you recommend taking it to? It's already ground from the processing. 80/20.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #19
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomey View Post
I've put down some beef from a side of beef I get and want to try smoking meatloaf. What temp do you recommend taking it to? It's already ground from the processing. 80/20.

If I ground it MYSELF and know that the utisils and meat were kept clean and REALLY COLD,140-150.I would not trust already ground beef that you did not micromanage.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #20
Hoss

I like to start meatloaf out in a pan,as soon as it "sets up" dump it out of the pan and continue smoking until it reaches the internal temp you are comfortable with.Cuts WAYYY down on the sitting in grease conundrum.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
If I ground it MYSELF and know that the utisils and meat were kept clean and REALLY COLD,140-150.I would not trust already ground beef that you did not micromanage.
I see no problem in the processing. Been getting beef from them for years, that's what they do. I just get it processed the way I want it for the convenience factor.

Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #22
Hoss

Quote:
I see no problem in the processing. Been getting beef from them for years, that's what they do. I just get it processed the way I want it for the convenience factor.

If you feel comfortable with it,by all means,go for it.It will be MUCH MOISTER in the 135-145 range internal temp.That is your call.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #23
HouseDoc
Full Fledged Farker

160 pull temp for sure. I add a heaping cup of homemade salsa to my ingredients. Never have leftovers. I use 80/20 ground beef. Prefer Sprouts store brand if I can get on sale.
HouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #24
happyappy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidparker View Post
+1 on the lower temp. As a side note, I have started using dried onion in mine. The loaf holds it shape better, doesn't crumble when slicing, less grease, and I think the flavor is better.
When you use dried onion...do you rehydrate first or just add it to your meatloaf mix straight from the shaker? I've tried using dried onion in a couple of dishes cooked in my regular oven that I thought would have enough liquid and time to rehydrate them, but they were still tough when the dish was done.
happyappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #25
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

You didn't mention what you are using for the binder (breadcrumbs, milk, water, boullion, dried onions). You might try increasing that ingredient (and pull it earlier).

Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #26
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I like to start meatloaf out in a pan,as soon as it "sets up" dump it out of the pan and continue smoking until it reaches the internal temp you are comfortable with.Cuts WAYYY down on the sitting in grease conundrum.
Quote:
If you feel comfortable with it,by all means,go for it.It will be MUCH MOISTER in the 135-145 range internal temp.That is your call.

Sorry I didn't see your question but I agree with what Hoss said.

I bet your side of beef is delicious Lomey!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #27
mrpigs
Full Fledged Farker

I had no idea some people smoke meat loaves while still in a pan.

My wife makes the loaves then forms them in her glass loaf dishes that she lines with wax paper and lets them chill in the fridge.

When I'm ready to smoke them I turn them out onto wire racks that I sprayed with Pam. Makes them easy to handle and they don't fall apart.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Love some smoked meat loaf. I make it up- don't over work it- on a sheet of foil, longer than the loaf to give me some handles -but barely as wide to allow the grease to drip free. Pull it at 165 or so. Not sure I'd care for doing one in a pan.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #29
CrabbyAppleton
Knows what a fatty is.

Use a panade of milk and bread crumbs. Even panko works. Keeps it tender and moist and adds a fudge factor. A slice of bread or 2 in the processor - then mix in some milk in a small bowl. About a couple tablespoons per 1/2 cup bread. Plus, you get rid of stale bread.