• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oakridge Taste Test

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I finally got to try out a couple of my new Oakridge rubs last night.
I found a couple of NY strips of unknown pedigree deep in the freezer, so a 36 hour thaw in the fridge, then season up one with Carne Crosta and the other with Santa Maria.

A load of RO lump in the Weber should do the trick.

Last edited:
Interesting. That was exactly the pair of Oakridge seasonings that I started with. I also did a taste test of Carne Crosta and Santa Maria as my initial comparison. I won't spoil your test until I see you post what you favored.

....Mrs Fan and I!

Both were fantastic! The steaks were very tender and juicy, cooked just to her liking, a little more done than I prefer, but still very good. Next time, I'll start the sear at about 85* or so to build a better crust.
Very happy with the Oakridge products so far.
Now I need to try the Naturrific stuff!

Last edited:
I came to roughly the same conclusion: I loved both Carne Crosta and Santa Maria. Both gave a great "extra something" to the steaks and I would serve either to guests. Over the last year or so we have come to favor the Carne Crosta for big steaks. The crust it makes tickles my pallet just perfectly. I still like the Santa Maria as well. But, I still have my original bag of Santa Maria and I'm already halfway through my 2nd bag of Carne Crosta.

They certainly have their own flavor profile. The Santa Maria, to me, was more of a traditional steak seasoning, Montreal or Chicago-ish while the Carne Crosta came across with a bit of a Worcestershire taste.
Neither tasted anything like they smelled to me anyway.
I really couldn't pick a favorite last night.
We're having the leftovers tonight, so I'll have to see if one stands out over the other.
I do know that there was a little more of the Santa Maria steak left than there was of the Carne Crosta.

They certainly have their own flavor profile. The Santa Maria, to me, was more of a traditional steak seasoning, Montreal or Chicago-ish while the Carne Crosta came across with a bit of a Worcestershire taste.
Neither tasted anything like they smelled to me anyway.
I really couldn't pick a favorite last night.
We're having the leftovers tonight, so I'll have to see if one stands out over the other.
I do know that there was a little more of the Santa Maria steak left than there was of the Carne Crosta.
Leave it to Cowgirl to notice your name was Terry. I missed that.
I try and give some love to all the folks who share the surname.
I'm a Terry and hello from the Arizona Desert.

....Mrs Fan and I!

Both were fantastic! The steaks were very tender and juicy, cooked just to her liking, a little more done than I prefer, but still very good. Next time, I'll start the sear at about 85* or so to build a better crust.
Very happy with the Oakridge products so far.
Now I need to try the Naturrific stuff!

Oak ridge is awesome but I promise
You’ll love naturiffic too. They really let the meat shine while simply complimenting them! Great people!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t tried Naturiffic (yet) but your conclusion that both are great is mine as well. I like to flip back and forth between Carne Crosta and Santa Maria based on my fickle mood.

Don’t forget - Oakridge also has a couple of my other favs - Secret Weapon and HDD - both worth you time/money to try - just not for beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks all!
I've got a bunch more of their stuff to try, Secret Weapon, HDD, Black Ops and a few others. It was an 8 pack on Amazon. Not sure which will be next.
I'll definitely try the 50/50 Carne/Maria mix on my next steaks! I can see how they would compliment each other.
Gotta stop at Costco tonight, so we'll see what ends up in the cart. :hungry:

They both look tasty!

For those yet to try Naturiffic, we will have a one day sale happening on our website this Sunday to celebrate the one year anniversary of our flagship store in Folsom, CA.

20% off any order.

I’ll be posting the promo code soon!!

Back