Which size slow and sear for 26" kettle

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a 22" that I've really enjoyed and am planning on picking up a 26". When I do, I'll probably give the 22 to a friend. Trying to decide what to do with the slow and sear. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the original version or give it away with the grill and buy an XL.

I'm sure for smoking I'd be better off with the XL. I do a lot of higher heat (chickens etc.) offset cooking though so I'm not sure. Also, I worry a little about having enough charcoal from one chimney for two zone grilling with the XL.

Assuming money isn't really a constraint, what would the recommendation be? I could obviously keep both slow and sears and just give away the kettle but I'd rather give it to my friend if I'm mostly going to use the XL.

Thanks
Bill

If money isn’t a constraint and you have the original version of the slow and sear, I’d give it to him and get the XL for the 26, but if money is a constraint or if you have the 2.0 version, I’d keep it...at least for a while.

The rationale is the 22 inch will work fine if you are willing to add fuel a little more frequently, but the bigger one (and the 2.0) can sear 3 ribeyes at once instead of 2.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Justin is right...

They will both work just fine. I have the XL in my newer 26 and love it. It's my daily driver and can handle just about anything I need it to do.

Justin is right...

They will both work just fine. I have the XL in my newer 26 and love it. It's my daily driver and can handle just about anything I need it to do.

What’s the longest low n slow burn time you’ve gotten on your 26 w/ the XL SnS without replenishing charcoal?

If money isn’t a constraint and you have the original version of the slow and sear, I’d give it to him and get the XL for the 26, but if money is a constraint or if you have the 2.0 version, I’d keep it...at least for a while.

The rationale is the 22 inch will work fine if you are willing to add fuel a little more frequently, but the bigger one (and the 2.0) can sear 3 ribeyes at once instead of 2.)

Hope this helps.

You just got a reply from "The Master" on the subject. :becky:

I have both but don’t have enough experience with the 26 burn times yet. If you plan on getting the drip n griddle there is only one size so if you have one for your 22 you should keep it.

I have both on my 22 and 26. Keep your SnS and just get the 26. When I bought my 26 I ordered the SnS XL and what I thought was a larger drip pan. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have ordered the XL as there really isnt much of a difference between the original and XL. Something like 1.75" larger on each side. Oh and the drip pan is one size so wish I had paid attention when I ordered it for the 26 thinking I was getting a larger pan. Save your dough.

Hope this helps.

I have the original. Turns out though that he already has what I suspect is a performer (that he rarely uses) so I think I probably will keep the S&S that I have, at least for a while.

I'd forgotten that the 2.0 version was larger. I had picked one of those up for my son in law -- I'll have to actually compare them one of these days.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

I have both on my 22 and 26. Keep your SnS and just get the 26. When I bought my 26 I ordered the SnS XL and what I thought was a larger drip pan. If I were to do it again I wouldn't have ordered the XL as there really isnt much of a difference between the original and XL. Something like 1.75" larger on each side. Oh and the drip pan is one size so wish I had paid attention when I ordered it for the 26 thinking I was getting a larger pan. Save your dough.

I did remember your post when you first got it and realized the pan wasn't sized for the 26. I don't have one and probably won't add it at the moment. Disposable pans generally work okay even if they don't fully cover the area. If they do come out with one sized for the "26 I might consider it.

Vortex

Keep the 22 SnS and get a Vortex for the 26. The charcoal "snake" method also works well for low and slow on the 26.
The Vortex is great for indirect wings, etc. on the 26. I use the Vortex more than the SnS on the 26.

For what its worth I use my SnS XL in a ranch and it works just fine. Try the smaller SnS in the 26 and I dont think youll find a need for the bigger one.

Another thing to think about when giving away your 22. Will you use it a bunch, no. But most accessories that are made are made for a 22. Keep it as a dedicated roto and pizza oven and get the accessories. I almost gave away my 22 when I got a 26 but I then lose the ability to use the accessories I piled up for the 22.

Keep the 22 SnS and get a Vortex for the 26. The charcoal "snake" method also works well for low and slow on the 26.
The Vortex is great for indirect wings, etc. on the 26. I use the Vortex more than the SnS on the 26.

As luck would have it, I have a vortex for the "22 as well :razz:

For what its worth I use my SnS XL in a ranch and it works just fine. Try the smaller SnS in the 26 and I dont think youll find a need for the bigger one.

Another thing to think about when giving away your 22. Will you use it a bunch, no. But most accessories that are made are made for a 22. Keep it as a dedicated roto and pizza oven and get the accessories. I almost gave away my 22 when I got a 26 but I then lose the ability to use the accessories I piled up for the 22.

That's a good thought. I have the Blackstone so won't likely use it for pizza but a rotisserie or even Santa Maria setup could be interesting.

That said, in full disclosure I still have another "22 new in the box sitting in the garage if I did have an overwhelming urge to do something after giving this one away. I picked up three of them a couple years back when people here noticed them for $35 at Walmart. It was supposed to go to my daughter when she got a house but I ended up buying a performer back when the Weber charcoal was on sale instead.

Both of those purchases evidence of how much money this site has "saved" me.:crazy:

Back