MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Ouch....and after all of that free mojo I was going to send for another perfect weather day again this year in the lovely tree lined park like setting......just remember, I can bring the slight shower from Fairbanks to Kettering instead.....nah, cant do that to ya....dont want that phenomenal breakfeast to be ruined.....there, now do I get included in the need to know catagory again?
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, but as long as you never mention Kettering and the "F" word in the same post again.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #18
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Jim,

I don't have an answer to your question. I guess it varies by organizer. I think the mentality of a few minority organizers is that "If You Have It They Will Come". With the economy the way it is, those days are long gone. I've had a few contests where emails have been ignored and the only thing that I can say is I tend to avoid those contests in the future.
Lack of responsiveness on the organizer to a contestant is probably a good indicator/warning sign on how the contest will be run and the contestant will be treated. We had one contest last year where things got so screwed up that they were trying to charge teammates to get into the contest grounds. They gave out bracelets but if you had more than three members of your team or friends coming by they tried to get a fee from them. No trophies were given out at this contest either. Needless to say we won't be back.

I remember one contest last year in Cincinnati that was posted on the KCBS website with a link to a downtown market. When I clicked the link and went to the site there was absolutely nothing about the contest there. No contact person, nothing. Needless to say that contest died before it ever got off the ground.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Dallas, I remember the one in Cincy and it crossed my mind a couple of times when I made the initial post. They did finally respond to my emails but by that time it was too late for them to salvage the contest. One of the assigned reps told me they had no luck in getting the organizer to return their calls or reply to their emails either.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Had a contest here in Iowa last year that was being taken over from the previous organizer to be handled by the local festival committee (bbq contest was part of the festival). The contact person never returned voicemails, emails, anything. Several people were clueless on if the event was still happening. Finally a few weeks before the event the new committe came to a contest recruiting teams and had no idea this person wasn't responsive and the contest was not being viewed favorably. Well, this year they have already sent out their entry forms and updated their web site. Probably cost them a few teams last year.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #21
RixCue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D's BBQ View Post
Jim,

Lack of responsiveness on the organizer to a contestant is probably a good indicator/warning sign on how the contest will be run and the contestant will be treated. .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said. If they fail to promote well, time to move on. My work does not allow me to attend many , so I dont waste my time on nonsence.

Rick
Elite Black Therapen, The Fastest
Full bag of R/O lump
RixCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #22
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I think any body ORGANIZING ANYTHING in this day and age, needs to know at least how to work e-mail. No excuse for that !!!

If I sent an e-mail to an organizer, i want a response. I really don't give a sh!t if it's a very generic, cut-n-pasted to everybody.

e-mail that states:

-they've recieved my e-mial,
- will have more information coming in the future, or reply with a PDF info.
- and to keep my e-mail address in their contacts to send me new info as it becomes available.

I reckon I could let a phone call not being returned slipped, because there's lots of dummies out there that waste time, and I don't blame them to not return my call if they don't know me. But if i call a second time, better return it !

i guess the only thing we got going for us as cooks or judges, if the organizer is not responsive, call the rep.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #23
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I think any body ORGANIZING ANYTHING in this day and age, needs to know at least how to work e-mail. No excuse for that !!!

If I sent an e-mail to an organizer, i want a response. I really don't give a sh!t if it's a very generic, cut-n-pasted to everybody.
Exactly!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Absolutely agree with everyone! With a busy family schedule, and tying to accomodate a few contests, timing is everything. I have one contest within an hour from me, we want to make it Wyatts first contest. However if this cat doesn't get back to me real soon, I'll have to cook at Council Bluffs that weekend, 4 hrs away!!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #25
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Move to Virginia, I have gotten great response from contest organizers that I have contacted in Va, WV, MD and NC. Sorry you are having trouble.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

The one you were refering to in Cincy last year was a very bad thought out idea. #1 it was in the worst neighborhood one that most people dont want to go to in the daylight much less sit and cook all night in. It is a couple block area surrounded by the worst of the worst, the ones that will shoot you for 5 dollars and they are as young as 12 pulling the trigger. I talked with the one lady when we were at the market about it and told her that I myself would never cook down there that I would never drive through that area at night. They are trying to get people to come to that area becuase of Findley market but it has gotten so bad noone wants to.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #27
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogBack Mtn Comp BBQ Team View Post
Move to Virginia, I have gotten great response from contest organizers that I have contacted in Va, WV, MD and NC. Sorry you are having trouble.
Not that I would have a problem livng in VA but I think I could come up with a better reason than that.

And since I never said where these contests were, how do you know it wasn't in one of the states you mentioned? My parole officer says I am allowed to cross state lines.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #28
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

well, of course you can now cross state lines, they do have the National Registry now...
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

>Not that I would have a problem livng in VA but I think I could come up with a better reason than that.

And since I never said where these contests were, how do you know it wasn't in one of the states you mentioned? My parole officer says I am allowed to cross state lines.<

I have corresponded with every KCBS Competiton in the listed states on several occations and all have treated me great and responded quickly. Again sorry you are having problems, so where is it you are having competition organizer issues?
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #30
Rolling Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I have corresponded with every KCBS Competiton in the listed states on several occations and all have treated me great and responded quickly.
I'm glad that's working out for you.

Quote:
so where is it you are having competition organizer issues?
That was not the intended point of my initial post but since you brought it up, two of them have been states that you mentioned. Don't ask which states or which comps as it really doesn't matter at this point. Neither of them are in existence now and it's not a surprise as to why they didn't last.

That, my friend, was the whole point of my post. It was not intended to define regional differences in how organizers around the country respond to queries about their events. Nor was it intended to promote or degrade specific events, states or regions.

It's just one of those things that I have encountered in my 7 years of competing that makes me wonder why someone would go to all the effort to put an event together then not respond to the people that the event is dependent on to make it a success.

Things that make you go