Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Boone County Fair - Columbia Missouri (07/23/2010 - 07/24/2010)

ZouBQue

Reaction score
This is my first year Q'ing and my first time going to the "Boone's Lick Trail BBQ contest". Who else is going to be there?

Belly Bros. are probably hoping Spicediddy is there to keep their trailer from burning...again:p:becky:

H*QUE will be there. Plenty of space at this comp. Had fun there last year.

Todd, I think we'll end up doing 14-16 this year. We've done 8 so far.

We are going to this one again.. had a great time last year.. and it is a good one for the kids, fair and all....:-D

Lookin forward to seeing y'all there Peter!
Yep, but see you at Glassgow first, this weekend..We are ready to get back on the trail. down more than a month is too long.I hope I can find you guys without that big cooker to look for..

Yep, but see you at Glassgow first, this weekend..We are ready to get back on the trail. down more than a month is too long.I hope I can find you guys without that big cooker to look for..

Yup - this is our first KCBS comp since Elks Lodge back in May - I'm feelin rusty! :heh: We just got done building out the new trailer over the weekend - sure hope it all works and holds up well under travel. We have sinks/countertops in the back of the toy hauler now and we're geared up. New cooker on the way - just waiting on it to be finished - but we'll work with my backyard cooker and a WSM until it arrives.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend - drive safe - we'll see you there!

I know that there is a people choice contest on Friday night. Anyone who has been there before... what is an ideal number of wings to cook up that night? I have ordered 25# but I'm wondering if that will suffice.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris - looking forward to seeing y'all again. I was curious - where did you find out there's a people's choice? I didn't see it on the entry form. Looked again before posting this and still can't find anything on it.

NOAA.GOV is still calling for mid 90's this weekend - man after Glasgow last week could sure use a break in the heat!

Looking forward to this weekend!

Spicewine Ironworks will be there. There is a peoples choice, but I don't have the details. I will get with Aimee and get back to you.

Chris - looking forward to seeing y'all again. I was curious - where did you find out there's a people's choice? I didn't see it on the entry form. Looked again before posting this and still can't find anything on it.

NOAA.GOV is still calling for mid 90's this weekend - man after Glasgow last week could sure use a break in the heat!

Looking forward to this weekend!
Here is some of the info in my mail..
11. How many wings should I bring for People's Choice? We are
feeding 250 people, so roughly, 30 to 40 lbs, should be plenty.

. What time is cook's meeting? 6:00
p.m. at the Turn In location with is in the Multi-Purpose building.
Follow the crowd at 6:00 p.m.

5. GIVEN THAT THE TEAM MEETING AND PEOPLE'S CHOICE IS AT THE SAME
TIME, make sure you have an extra team-mate at your location to help
serve the public.
1. What time does the People's Choice Start? Public
will start coming around your areas around 6:00 p.m.

2. Where will we serve the wings from? From
your spot, the public will come to you.

Thanks Peter - just got the email from Aimee - people's choice is for sure then. I just got done asking Aimee if it's mandatory or optional.

Per Aimee -

"Optional…..but for you required…. :p LOL"

So there we are - the poeple's choice is optional. Just an FYI.

Judging is not at your site. It is a blind judge event and the wings are turned in and served to the public by volunteers.

Per Aimee: Teams will bring their entries to a separate site away from their site Up by the beer garden,each team that has entered will be shown where turn-ins is. Each team will get a number ( thus blind judging ) wrist bands are pre-sold ( at Boone County fair office and at my bank ) and sold at the gatefor $10.00 a piece. The public will be told to go to the designated spot by the beer garden in front of the main grandstand. The following will be provided by us:

1. serving trays for the chicken wings
2. napkins
3. chaffing dishes to keep entries warm
4. volunteers to serve wings
5. voting tokens to the public

The following will be provided by the teams:

1. chicken wings
2. $10.00 entry fee
3. aluminum trays to carry wings to turn in station
4. A voting box just like last year
5. they must go to the Boone County Health Dept website and look at all regulations

Ok Jay.. here is the rules that I was sent awhile back directly from Aimee. It specifically states that "you can only serve people that have wristbands". "You can serve the public or they can serve themselves". "You can decorate your voting box any way you see fit."

All of these things seem different than what you are saying. Is this not the same set of rules that you were given?

PEOPLE’S CHOICE
CATEGORY: CHICKEN WINGS

ENTRY FEE: $10.00

RULES THAT APPLY:

1. This is not KCBS Sanctioned
2. You will provide your own wings
3. You will need to prepare and cook your wings on site
4. Top three places pay-out
5. Entry money is pooled together and paid out 100% to the top three teams/ thus the more that enter the more money for the top three teams!
6. Pay-Out for People’s Choice will be held at the award ceremony on Saturday!
7. Public can serve themselves or you can serve.
8. You will need to make YOUR OWN voting box for the public to put their votes in. It will need to be A BOX, no smaller than a shoe box sized box. You may decorate it any way you see fit. You will need to put a slit in the top of the box, big enough to fit a ½ dollar sized coin in, but no bigger than that! The lid on the box must be secured with tape or glue; the lid must not come off. Boxes will NOT be returned to the teams, so make sure it is deposable in nature.
9. Please read the attached guide-lines from the Boone County Health Department. YOU MUST abide by these rules, if the Health Department inspects your site and disqualifies you for the People’s Choice, the organizer nor Boone County Fair will not reimburse your costs and you will not be able to participate in the event!!!! PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES CAREFULLY THIS IS A MUST!!!!!
10. You will only serve those (public) that have a wrist band on their wrist, (color of band) TBD, however….if they do not have a wrist band they have not paid and cannot be served.
11. Each person that pays to eat Chicken Wings will have the ability to vote two times.

Please fill out the attached entry form WHICH IS SEPARATE FROM THE KCBS BBQ ENTRY FORM for the People’s Choice Wings Contest!!!

Back