Primitive Pits

SaySmoker

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just placed my order for a 250 Gallon Primitive Pit on a cart with casters. Added an insulated firebox, And top grates.

Anyone own a similar pit built by primitive? Anyone have any experience with primitive pits?

Thanks!

No experience but congrats on that great pit! You'll love the insulated fb.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Beautiful Pits. One of my favorite BBQ Joints Hurtado BBQ has a couple and they are nice!

Congrats on the pit, looks pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing your cooks on it.

I have never cooked on one but a food truck I have gone to a few times in Portland uses a 1000 gallon pit made by them and they put out some legit Q.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Back before I scored a Shirley and Evie Mae, I priced out and checked delivery dates from several different well regarded builders. The ones around Lockhart Texas were all booked way out, Evie Mae wasn't an option at the time so, the Primitive Pits 250-gallon model was a the leading contender. Two used pits later, I'm out of the market for the time being for a larger propane tank smoker, especially now with my Evie Mae pipe smoker though, those Central Texas style propane tank smokers have that classic look I like so much so ... maybe at some point down the road.

They just posted a cool video talking about the differences between PP Babe and lifetime pits 1975. Surprised there is only one employee that works in both shops....completely separate companies. If I had the room, I’d order one as I like the big fireboxes and the claimed temp across the grate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 1975 from their sister company is amazing. I’m sure you’ll be happy. Also, JD is very responsive. I was texting with him earlier.

Last edited:
More of them floating around here in Texas than you would imagine. I have had some great Q off of them and they are solid builds.

Whats the lead time for the 250. I love my shirley, but something about a direct flow in that raw state that would be a useful yard art piece. I must resist. Hi, I'm Dave and I am a Smoker Hoarder. lol

Are they allergic to paint? I can understand a building your own personal pit and not painting it...but why on earth would you buy one that isn't finished? Might as well buy a car before it's assembled.

Are they allergic to paint? I can understand a building your own personal pit and not painting it...but why on earth would you buy one that isn't finished? Might as well buy a car before it's assembled.

It's just an aesthetic choice. I personally love the way they look. I greatly prefer it to a boring black finish.

I have a raw finish 1975. The look is exactly what I wanted.

I really like the rustic look personally. They season the outside hot with Linseed Oil which pretty much waterproofs it. How many perfectly painted pits do you see in real BBQ restaurants? None! They will paint the exterior if you want, but to sandblast and powder coat in your custom color tacks an extra $1675 to the build price.

Give me the raw look any day...

I had a beautiful Cobalt blue stumps. It was like owning a new car. I’d stress over every scratch and I’d wash it to keep it shiny, if I didn’t I’d feel guilty. Well, I sold it and replaced it with the raw 1975. All I want to worry about is my cook, not the exterior of my cooker.

I should add that I’m so impressed with my 1975, that if I needed a bigger cooker, I’d order a 250 from Primitive straight away. No need for me to do any additional research. They know how to make an even heating, great air flow pit without any trickery like baffle plates.

The finish on the Workhorse reminds me me of a well seasoned cast iron skillet

It just screams that the food coming off of it will be amazing.

Back