UPers & Cheeseheads only

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Because their the only ones who will get this!
So because he was so good all year (never made national news for being a cop) daddy gonna make him a birthday treat, a half dozen pasties.
Born in Pontiac the only time I got a pasty (Verners ginger ale and salt rising bread) was summer vacations. For years tried to copy a decent pasty and finally hit on a good recipe. So here's how.
Mince up beef and pork minute steak.

Next up is some onion and carrots (no rutabagas).

Thin sliced taters.

Next using my official pasty template.

Wax paper below and above, perfect 10" circle of dough.

Fat cup of mixture and a gob of butter. Fold it over and roll the edges and slit for steam.

First three on parchment paper ready for oven.

6 beauties egg washed and on its way to a 400* bake.

Out of the oven to cool before freezing overnight.

This one could have been mine if the Mrs. hadn't been home!

So I ended up having frozen pizza, the little sh*t better appreciate it...
Blue Lives Matter (to me).
Ed

Even though I am a troll looks really good! I especially enjoy them with gravy

There are trolls that appreciate pasties too. I was in the UP last week and enjoyed a couple myself.

I've tried to make them a couple times and mine were complete failures compared to the beauties you made.

The way I was fetched up to eat them is cut in half, hold in a thirsty paper towel and knife in some butter and sprinkle lightly with catsup, eat/repeat). By time you get to the bottom it's a sloppy delicious morsel.
Ed
I have had discussions about gravy and while I in a hundred years would never do so.
It's your pasty....

I haven't had one in years, I'm embarrassed to admit. Yours look fantastic!

Pasties are sometimes called "teddywedgers".

Nice to see pasties here again! :clap2:

Consider myself a pasty purist:

1) Despite being 99.2% Finnish/Upper Peninsula, I prefer Cornish to Finnish pasties. Near as I can tell the only real difference is Finnish pasties have carrots and Cornish do not. I think carrots add too much sweetness and are not necessary. Meat, potatoes, onion, and rutabaga only as the filling ingredients.

2) Rutabaga is a must. It's the ingredient that gives pasty that distinctive smell and flavor. Has sort of a peppery flavor as well as some sweetness. Possibly the most underrated root vegetable.

3) The dough must be made cutting cold lard into the flour...never Crisco or any other vegetable shortening. Substituting beef tallow or duck fat for the lard would be considered acceptable.

4) Using regular grind ground meat is lame. Use cubed/diced meat. Never tried it but a course chili grind might work. The meat has to have a little bite to it.

5) A properly made pasty should be eaten with your hands.

6) A properly made pasty requires no gravy...or ketchup (bleck!). If anything, cold slivers of butter applied just before each bite of a hot pasty.

7) There is no such thing as a chicken, turkey, or veggie pasty.

8) If you add cheese to the filling mix, you made a weird calzone...not a pasty.

Nice to see pasties here again! :clap2:

Consider myself a pasty purist:

1) Despite being 99.2% Finnish/Upper Peninsula, I prefer Cornish to Finnish pasties. Near as I can tell the only real difference is Finnish pasties have carrots and Cornish do not. I think carrots add too much sweetness and are not necessary. Meat, potatoes, onion, and rutabaga only as the filling ingredients.

2) Rutabaga is a must. It's the ingredient that gives pasty that distinctive smell and flavor. Has sort of a peppery flavor as well as some sweetness. Possibly the most underrated root vegetable.

3) The dough must be made cutting cold lard into the flour...never Crisco or any other vegetable shortening. Substituting beef tallow or duck fat for the lard would be considered acceptable.

4) Using regular grind ground meat is lame. Use cubed/diced meat. Never tried it but a course chili grind might work. The meat has to have a little bite to it.

5) A properly made pasty should be eaten with your hands.

6) A properly made pasty requires no gravy...or ketchup (bleck!). If anything, cold slivers of butter applied just before each bite of a hot pasty.

7) There is no such thing as a chicken, turkey, or veggie pasty.

8) If you add cheese to the filling mix, you made a weird calzone...not a pasty.

What he said
Mind you, I would steal a few of them from your window sill when not Looking
One of my Favourite snacks

Hey, We might know a little about mine food in Northeastern Minnesota too! Pasties are quite common around the “Iron Range “. That being said, the OP’s look delicious!

Mom made great pasty, despite the carrots...a preference I discovered after she was gone.

Pasty takes time to make. Not something you want make only six of. A couple dozen is more practical.

Last pasty effort using Mom's recipe. Her's called for cubed cube steak. Meat counter didn't have it so went for flank steak. Pounded it thin and put in the freezer overnight to make it easier to slice/dice. Skipped the carrots. Plenty of rutabaga. No egg wash, so they look pale...was okay with that. Mom's pasties looked like works of art. My crimping skills are obviously lacking. Still, they were delicious.

My EDucation continues......

1. Pasties, mmmmm...

2. Why did you leave out the rutabaga's?

3. I used to live semi-close (55 miles away) to a food truck n south west Mizzory that made pasties. They were good!

Found mom's pasty recipe. Like said, I used flank steak in place of cube steak. Left out the carrots and more than doubled down on the rutabaga. Her written recipe left out baking instructions. Discussed with my sis and we agreed it was 50-60 minutes at 350°. That time and temp worked on the last batch I made.

Back