KCBS and Garnish

As a judge, do I judge garnish... ? I sure do !!!

If used and if there is something wrong with it, I will score you down, way down !!!

And it takes a Rep's approval / direction ;)

I hope bad things happen to you. *winky face*

Edit:read further and found out you were joking. Cheers.

Recently competed in my first IBCA after 8 years of KCBS and man was it a joy. You knew exactly how much of what to put in the box and exactly how to do it. No garnish was a breeze, so much fun.

Bob is being some what sarcastic in his response but what he is saying is exactly the rule. The only judgement he makes is if it is legal or not and if he feels it is not legal he calls over the rep and, if the rep agrees, it is giving the ultimate score reduction to a DQ.

if he is a judge he should know what is legal

To me, no need for garnish. When judging, I get tired of having to remove all of the parsley that attaches to the samples before I taste the item.

Garnish isn't going away and I highly doubt it ever will. It would be a pain in the ass to build a box without it. It keeps things in place.

Use kale, problem solved. I build all 4 boxes on Friday afternoon of a comp in around 20 minutes.

I personally don't like being called a liar! I can guarantee you 100% that garnish is never used in my scoring of your entry. It is absolutely possible to ignore it. That's the rule and I follow the rules.
From 2020 rules
12)
Garnish is optional, if used, once determined to be legal, garnish plays no further role in the appearance score.

Ed

I hope you can. I, personally, don't believe that you can. Subconsciously, things matter that we don't realize in the moment. When I look at a painting, I don't judge the frame. However, a nice frame sure makes the picture look nicer.

This is kind of like everything else in top-tier competition BBQ. The teams that consistently win every week are not on here complaining about building gorgeous boxes. Just like the time they spend practicing non-stop it is part of the sweat equity required to win at the highest level.

Back