MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thumbs up Its Official! I'm a proud member of the Shriley family!

So I took off work Friday to drive down to Tuscaloosa and pick up my new offset from Shirley Fabrication. 1500 miles, 23 1/2 hours in the car and I'm back with what is now my most prized possession. I've come bringing lots of pron for y'all.

Got to Paul's about 5. The first thing that struck me was.. That's a little bigger than I expected.. These cookers are no joke. Massive! And about as solid as they come.

The boys went to work pretty quickly loading it into the back of my dad's truck.

Piece of cake. I only wish it was that easy to get it out!

Paul took us out to dinner at local joint. He and his wife are some of the most lovely and generous people I have ever had the privilege to meet. We spent the whole night speaking like old friends that had know each other 20 years. They insisted we stay at their house, and in the morning he got up at 5 to have a cup of coffee ready for me and see us off. He is a helluva guy.

Hit the road about 5:30am. Drove pretty much straight through, just stopping for fuel and drive-thrus. Landed at my folk's at about 3cst, loaded up a bunch of cherry I had seasoning in their woods and got back on the road. Finally made it home by 6pm. I had 3 guys lined up to come over at 6:30 and help me unload the beast.

Now, all the way home we puzzled over how we would remove this from the trailer. Its a tall truck, and its a very heavy smoker, so just a ramp to the ground would probably flatten whoever is behind it, so we come up with about 200 different ways to do it.. in the end, this was what we thought would work best..

It worked.... kind of. As soon as the smoker got on the tailgate, it sank in like it was made of cardboard! Big wheel ruts in the steel. And then it was stuck to boot. I had visions of the tailgate breaking off and the whole smoker finding the ground very quickly. We pushed it back into the truck, bridged the tailgate with some sacrificial 3/4 ply and did it again. Had to drag the smoker out with a Nissan titan, as the slight upward grade of the grass was next to impossible. Only almost tipped it twice. It was a total chit show, but we eventually got her out. And the tailgate damage seems to be limited to the inside..

OK, on the smoker. The fit and finish on this thing is INSANE. Way over the top. As a woodworker and perfectionist, I can clearly see that these guys take a lot of pride in what they do, and it shows. Everything is very user friendly, well thought out, and cut exactly how it should be. No wonky corners, weird gaps, or anything that stands out. It is made with some serious attention to detail.

Most importantly, you can put a beer on the shelf and open the cabinet doors.

This is what the smoke looked like all day

Here's one just for a little scale. Yes, that's a 22" weber

Covered everything with pam and added a chimney of coals and a couple splits. Let her warm up slowly for a couple hours, until she settled in around 285 at hour 3. Added the fatties...

One spicy sausage with SM spicy apple, the other regular with SM Pecan

Next I put on a couple butts.. She cruised at about 285 all day. when she started to drop I'd throw a split on and it would jump back in 2 minutes or less. Stayed within 20 degrees of 285 all. day. long. Except for once I was busy in the house and it hit 250...

Here's butts at the 3 hour mark

Added some beef backs a bit later, Seasoned with Dink's Udder madness that Paul gave me. Great Stuff!

Julian and I decided his job would be to keep the wood shelf stocked. He did a good job!

Started to rain.. Didn't want the smoker to get wet! or my guests I suppose..

Dogs enjoyed the firebox..

Ribs!

Butts!

Everything came out great. This smoker is super easy to use. Anyone in the market for an offset should seriously give Shirley Fabrication a hard look. I have never seen a pit this well built. We have a Lang at work and its not even in the same ballpark. The Shirleys take their pits seriously, and you won't go wrong with one of their builds. Its absolutely amazing!

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Last edited by Shagdog; 10-18-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

She is beautiful!! Congrats!!
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
vraknari
On the road to being a farker

Best "I just got a new smoker" post, ever!! Thanks for sharing!!
Nice to see you enjoying the smoker right off the bat!!

Shirley Fabricators sure makes a nice looking pit!!
vraknari is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

great pit and great food. Thanks for the pics and the write up!
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
tnfan47
Full Fledged Farker

Awesome cooker. That's exactly what I've been eye ballin if I had a chance to get a SF. A patio model w/ cabinet doors. If i had a wood source and location to store it. Never attempted to use an offset before. Thought about getting a COS (this is after I read Aaron Franklin's new book) at first to get a feel for one before investing in a SF to see if I'm the one who would feed a smoker every 30min or so.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the new smoker, looks beautiful.

Thanks for sharing, some very nice looking grub to boot!

KC

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Awesome smoker....

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #8
Fat Cap
Full Fledged Farker

Sweet cooker Shagdog! the grub looks great, and the family looks happy!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

Great looking cook! And that is one of the most enthusiastic helpers I had ever seen!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
Shagdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Great looking cook! And that is one of the most enthusiastic helpers I had ever seen!
Thanks, Ren! And he is! For now at least. I told him it would be his cooker some day, so now he calls it "our cooker" and is eager to help and learn. He fed it a couple times but can't quite get the door shut again, it's a tight fit.

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another work of art by them Shirley fellers'!

Nice post, Shaggy!!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #12
Shagdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfan47 View Post
Awesome cooker. That's exactly what I've been eye ballin if I had a chance to get a SF. A patio model w/ cabinet doors. If i had a wood source and location to store it. Never attempted to use an offset before. Thought about getting a COS (this is after I read Aaron Franklin's new book) at first to get a feel for one before investing in a SF to see if I'm the one who would feed a smoker every 30min or so.
Don't buy a cos. It will only make you less likely to ever want another offset. I had one for years. Feeding the Shirley isn't that bad. They regulate temps really well as the steel is so thick, BUT they are very hungry. Make sure you have a steady wood supply before you pull the trigger! I probably used 25-30 splits on it yesterday. A little more than anticipated but I don't mind :)

Last edited by Shagdog; 04-20-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #13
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

That thing is a tank! Wished I coulda helped out Saturday and stayed longer on Sunday!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow Shagdog - great looking pit and great looking food. One of these Shirley pits is on my list. The more I see these patio models, the more I'm liking them.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagdog View Post
Don't buy a cos. It will only make you less likely to ever want another offset. I had one for years. Feeding the Shirley isn't that bad. They regulate temps really well as the steel is so thick, BUT they are very hungry. Make sure you have a steady wood supply before you pull the trigger! I probably used 30-35 splits on it yesterday. A little more than anticipated but I don't mind :)
did you get the insulated firebox? how long did it take you to go through 30 splits?

Tags
24 x 50, Cabinet, reverse flow, Shirley fabrication, smoker, wagon wheel