MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Default The Return of the CrockaQue

I was cleaning the garage today and kept hearing whimpering noises coming from the corner. Turns out it was the CrockaQue, and it was feeling down since I hadn't used it in six months. Didn't help that it heard about Gore's new mini drum; it has a horrible complex about other unique builds. Since no one else was around today besides the dog I figured I might as well pull it out and put it to use. For some reason my wife has an issue with it.

For those having trouble remembering the CrockaQue, here’s a glamor photo prior to today’s effort.

Ain’t she a beauty? And look, I even have the setting correct for today’s cook, as we are going low and slow. As I would in the WSM, the briquettes were prepared for the CrockaQue version of the Minion Method with a layer of coals and some mesquite chunks.

A chimney was employed to fire up the lit briquettes. If you look closely, you can see them way down in the bottom of the chimney. The CrockaQue is a fuel miser (mostly because it doesn’t hold a lot to begin with).

The lit coals were poured on top, and it was time to cook. As it turned out, I actually had a lot more charcoal in there than I really needed.

The menu plan was a staple around here; the ubiquitous fatty. A JD sage sausage chub was flattened in a Ziploc bag and topped with a shredded cheese mix, onions, peppers, and mushrooms. All of which was left over from the Great Mobile Pizza Adventure (also known as the Great LizBob Kitchen Disaster) on Friday.

The mix was rolled back up into a log and heavily dusted with some homemade rib rub (it’s not just for ribs) and put on the CrockaQue to cook.

I wasn’t sure the CrockaQue could be trusted without supervision, so Bubba Ho-Keg was employed to keep a close eye on it while I went back to cleaning the garage.

Since we were smoking and not grilling, the CrockaQue needed a hat. The Weber pan used previously was too shallow so a medium food tray pan was used instead. The CrockaQue looks ravishing with its new chapeau…

After about 90 minutes the fatty was done (as measured with the amazing RED Thermapen; can’t be too careful here). Bubba Ho-Keg was my witness…

Here’s a closer look at the finished product right before removal from the CrockaQue. Proof that this is a serious grill. Sort of. OK, maybe not.

Laugh all you want at the absurdity of this; the fatty was a winner (at least as fatties go). Look at how nicely cooked the fillings are…

One more shot before it disappears. Those slices on the right were my lunch and are long gone as I write this. I’m almost ashamed to admit this was one of the better fatties I’ve prepared; I may have to cook a couple more on Bubba Ho-Keg and the WSM so they don’t get jealous…

And there you have it, the Return of the CrockaQue. The next time you see it in action will likely be at the Bay Area Bash in October. But you’re always welcome to come back here and gaze at the wonder of this post anytime you like. Or simply shake your head and wonder why I bothered…

Hey dequerre look: I cooked something!
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Thats awesome now I'm gonna have to go and murder Ambers crockpot... Shhhh dont tell her
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
hog trotter
Got Wood.

I never imagined a fatty could look so good out of a crock pot!!! I have a crock pot that is not used until I saw this....I can see a crock pot resurection in the near future!!
hog trotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Looks good, nice use for the crock pot

Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
Thats awesome now I'm gonna have to go and murder Ambers crockpot... Shhhh dont tell her
Should I change the name of the thread to "Nothing to see here if your name is Amber"?
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]

Old 08-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome! I was waiting for the return of the CQ and you have done it again right. You've gotta bring the CQ to the bash.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
Awesome! I was waiting for the return of the CQ and you have done it again right. You've gotta bring the CQ to the bash.
Thanks. I plan on bringing it and Bubba Ho-Keg. I figured I better get some practice in just in case someone actually wants to see it in action...

Old 08-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Heheheee. Up until now, I thought this was the only way to do some 'cue in something like that... when and if it ever dies, I'll have a Nesco-Q.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
Thanks. I plan on bringing it and Bubba Ho-Keg. I figured I better get some practice in just in case someone actually wants to see it in action...
You really expect us to believe you're going to cook something?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I bet Bubba Ho Keg did the actual cooking.

Still no rotissery?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I bet Bubba Ho Keg did the actual cooking.

Still no rotissery?
I had trouble with the hamster wheel; the squirrels keep stealing it...

And anticipating the accusation about cooking it on Bubba Ho-Keg, look closely at the finished picture with both the CrockaQue and Bubba Ho-Keg. You'll see that the thermometer on Bubba Ho-Keg is at rock bottom. Much like this post...

Old 08-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
deguerre

Seriously now though, that is a nifty little device you knocked together.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Not really, although I considered making some moink. They are different than MOINK in that they don't conform to the IMBAS rules and therefore aren't subject to trademark litigation. At least that is what a shyster lawyer told me...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
The Frog
Knows what a fatty is.

I like the commentary even more than pron.... great post. Bubba HoKeg. Cracks me up every time. "Don't make me use my stuff on you, baby."

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #15
Phubar

Always good to see that thing in action!
Thanks for the pics Zyd!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote