BSKD/Bandera Mod

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have found myself using my little BSKD more over the past two months to do some smaller cooks, and I still find that I really enjoy using it. However, in the cooler weather I have had some trouble keeping the temps up, and finally decided to install a heat shield in the lid as so many others have suggested in the past!

It was really easy, as I just cut down some sheet steel from Home Depot with some sheet metal sheers. For the BSKD, I cut the steel to 18" long, and 16 1/2" wide. Probably the same for the Bandera, but not sure... Anyway, this left a little bit of clearance for the fire, but eliminated 90% of the dead space above the smoke box inlet.

Below are a couple of pics showing the mod, and a profile of the firebox to see how much space was negated. I have actually had to choke down the inlets to keep the temps at 225* in rain and cold wind! I should have done this several years ago... Oh, sorry for the messy smoker and cook area, as the weather has been really crappy today!

BSDKMod1.jpg

BSKDMod2.jpg

Good to see you up and productive! :eusa_clap
Looks like the mod worked out very well. :icon_clown
But come on ... cold? It was 46* today! :confused:

Ive had outside temps in the 40s all day, and my good ol' stumper has been holdin 236-238 alllllll day. touched it twice to adjust temps... I love this thing, outside temps do not effect me!!!

Uhm Cattle Call?
Thanks for post Noah. I've never done that mod. If you say it works I'll try it. Next Spring.:rolleyes:

Man I really do like the look of these banderas, Ive been trying to find one on craigslist that I can afford but it seems that no one in MD wants to get rid of them

I was just bustin chops on Noah. He's an old timer here and used to post a little more often. I cook year round. Sometimes it takes a little effort.
P1010005.jpg

Glad to see it worked out for you, its now on my Bandera to-do list.

Bandera Mod

Thanks for the tip Noah. I've seen the mod on here but haven't done that one. I like my Bandera but it can be hard to get up to temp. I'm still learning though.:icon_cool

Noah, did the sheet metal bow due to the heat or did you make it that way?

I've got a piece of 1/8" plate that I've been meaning to weld in my Dera (but keep putting it off). I was going to weld it in flush.

Mark, I cut the sheet a little wide to use the spring tension (bow) to keep it in place

Bill, I was thinking of you when I wrote that line!

Kevin, it has been a while! Life sometimes gets in the way...
Noah, did the sheet metal bow due to the heat or did you make it that way?

I've got a piece of 1/8" plate that I've been meaning to weld in my Dera (but keep putting it off). I was going to weld it in flush.

Mark, that pic of your back porch is what's comin this way eventually. But we must smoke on brother. Grit your teeth and just keep a cookin!

Back