First Timer Turn in PRON

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so Westmont was our first comp. Unfortunately, we were too time crunched on chicken and ribs for pron, but one judge gave us 9's across the board, so I guess we weren't awful, and no DAL's.

I was spending more time trying to keep our EZ-ups from flying away then I was on my boxes I think. We did manage butt and brisket with a little more relaxes mood, as by that time we'd stabilized the tents and had both resting in a cooler since earlier. I'm new to posting pics, so hopefully this works.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/...ID=5022234824/a=29095156_29095156/t_=29095156
t_=29095156

We definitely learned some valualble lessons, and think we'll do better in Elk Grove in a few weeks.

Thanks to all of you here for all the great ideas posted on this site. I really think we were pretty well prepared, and much of the credit goes to the Brethren!

Dan

no option for next picture?

Sorry, as I said, this is the first time I tried to post a photo here, not sure what I'm doing wrong

This looks ok now I think

Attachments

• butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 108
  • brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 109
Keep in mind that should have been different judges for each entry, so 9's across the board came from different people.

My first look is that the meat looks dry. Why not sauce? Judges like sauce... Judges don't say they with something didn't have sauce, but they do at least think some should have sauce. For me it was pride in not saucing, but I got over it, and my scores went up. Appearance also ends up better.

I agree, neither really gets my attention....I probably would have scored them each a 7, needed a spritz to cut down on the dryness look if you aren't going to sauce.....

No, the 9's across the board was for Appearance, taste, and texture on the ribs, All from the same judge in that category .

I will definitely consider saucing and a light spritz, thanks!

I know I thought they looked better when I sent them (high anxiety) than when I looked at them afterward. But that's ok. Wel got everything in on time, and didn't go DAL. Now it's time to execute better next time and improvve on our failings!

I didn't mean to sound negative, either... I was trying to give ways to improve... They look great for a first time... really great. And the judges don't look at them all that long or hard. It's a great job.

Back