MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #586
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

That is really cool Third Eye. My route was more commerical and I don't have a welder. So this is what I use. Needles to say get a new one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0347.jpg (57.2 KB, 2681 views)
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #587
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlh3 View Post
That is really cool Third Eye. My route was more commerical and I don't have a welder. So this is what I use. Needles to say get a new one.
That is a GREAT idea. I like the two parts (scraper and scoop). I just checked prices and they are around $18. And I bet they are carried at the big box pet stores.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #588
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Ya I picked it up at pet smart it was $20.00. Used it yesterday to clean the UDS. Lined a small plastic paint bucket with a plastic bag scooped away dumped in the bag tied up threw away. No fuss no mess. It was your hoe scooper that gave me the idea. Thanks
Walker

Old 11-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #589
msu1970
Got rid of the matchlight.

Awesome job everybody..i want one bad...everybody here is very cool tips about tips and ideas..big props to all.I cant wait to start one.I started reading this thread yester day and just finished.THANK YOU ALL..MICHIGAN HERE..
msu1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #590
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Default Question

Drum Guys that have two racks and two temp guages. What is temp diff between lower and upper Rack ? I only have one gauge on the lower rack. I know there are a few more variables just an Idea. Thanks
Walker

Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #591
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlh3 View Post
Drum Guys that have two racks and two temp guages. What is temp diff between lower and upper Rack ? I only have one gauge on the lower rack. I know there are a few more variables just an Idea. Thanks
Trouble with 2 gauges in side of drum is the lower grate is very difficult to get past upper grate. On my large drum I have a electronic temp probe that is at lower grate used to run my redneck guru, one dial gauge in at lower grate and one in lid. I get about 20-25 degree difference in 2 dials if I leave it alone. If I open it for a little while they go haywire. Yuo really have to watch opening it as it temp spikes.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #592
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Norco. I am doing wings today on the upper grate nothing on the lower. Lower grate temp is 250 deg right now no idea on upper grate is so full no room for a oven temp gauge to give me some idea. If I get some shrinkage will put it in to get some idea. nothings perfect its all good
Walker

Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #593
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I just wanna say that after reading this entire thread I went out and purchased/scrounged up all the necessary stuff to build my own UDS. I spent 4 hours yesterday in the cold managing a towering inferno that I had built in the barrel using old wood pallets that I ripped with my circular saw, but hey, at least the fire kept me warm on the outside and the thoughts of soon having my own UDS kept me warm on the inside. I will be sure and post pics when I have it done, hopefully by Monday I will be smoking a brisket! Great thread and awesome forum!!!!

Last edited by cardiac_cadet002; 11-09-2007 at 03:42 PM..
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #594
deeque
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

good luck cardiac hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor. keep on smokeing.

UDS
WEBER OTG 22.5
deeque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #595
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 View Post
Well I just wanna say that after reading this entire thread I went out and purchased/scrounged up all the necessary stuff to build my own UDS. I spent 4 hours yesterday in the cold managing a towering inferno that I had built in the barrel using old wood pallets that I ripped with my circular saw, but hey, at least the fire kept me warm on the outside and the thoughts of soon having my own UDS kept me warm on the inside. I will be sure and post pics when I have it done, hopefully by Monday I will be smoking a brisket! Great thread and awesome forum!!!!
Way to go CC! Welocme to the UDS Corps! Now get over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #596
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac_cadet002 View Post
"Rarely have we seen a person fail, that has thouroghly followed the UDS path"

Post pics! We love them
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2007, 02:38 AM   #597
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Tomorrow I cook for the inlaws. USC/Cal game at 5 & Hawaii/Fresno State at 8 on ESPN. My two favorite teams/schools......sc and UH that is....

Inlaws are from Hawaii.

Da Phoenix will be tested with a 4 pound butt, a 3 pound chicken(I butterflied), a fattie, and cheap ass funky denmark ribs I've been dying to rid my freezer of. Maybe some abt's if I get bored.
When the cook is done, I plan to add some more HBBQ Rancher to smoke some of my Peppers over nite. Depending on how drunk I get we'll see how that goes.
Hopefully I can post pics Sunday nite.
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #598
Norcoredneck

Pictures of the drunk part please. Hear you make a hell of a fence fire.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #599
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Man....open up that front ball valve and your temps get to 300 in a hurry!
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #600
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Using a 2 1/4" exhaust pipe (bent @ 90*) for the intake, running wide open, with a home made (redneck mod) coal basket, I got temps between 350* & 450* using Rancher lump today. Temps were measured using a dial - type meat thermo with a 6 inch stem. I just stuck it in the exhaust vent (3" pipe, about 16" to 18" tall) like you do to measure the dome temp of the WSM. The real temps may have been higher, but I won't know until I get a reading with a mounted thermo or install the grates & use the ET-73.
The next steps will be another burn to get the paint off of the inside (how many of these will I have to do?), installing the grates, cutting the ring off of the free 22 1/2" kettle that I scored today, building the ash-pan & the slide covers for the intake & exhaust tubes.
I keep doing a little at a time & keep thinking of more things to make / add to this "little project".
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker