• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cedar Planking

smokin30-06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Quick question. Last time I did cedar plank salmon on my gas grill, I unintentionally created charcoal. I think the fire was too close. It made for an interesting first date at home for who is now my fiance. Her parents are coming over for her dad's birthday.

I am grilling salmon (2.3lb slab) on the Hasty Bake for dinner and I am thinking about doing a taste test. Some planked and some straight on the grill (skin on, no flipping). Does the flavor in cedar plank salmon leech through the direct contact with the wood and it's oils or does the flavor get to the salmon through the air? We will also be grilling some bell peppers and asparagus. While I am at it, I would guess that cooking time will be a little slower on the plank. Right?

Thanks!
John

I wish I knew, my client soaks her planks all day before using.
Shoulda asked her about the grilling technique.

Through the wood.
Did you soak it for at least an hour first?
They also sell holders for the planks so they dont burn so fast.
It might add a little time, not much imo.

I soak my cedar planks for at least an hour, and also keep a spray gun on hand to take care of flare ups. I also like to layer some lemon slices and dill under the salmon on the plank, and serve with with a lemon and dill Mayo or Aioli.

You do want the bottom of the plank to be charring and smoking, but if it's burning all the way through your fire is too hot/close.

As a bit of a cost savings suggestion, use 3/8-1/2 untreated rough cedar fence boards cut down to size rather than the planks you get at the grocery store.

I don't get the whole Cedar Plank thing??? Cedar is a Confiner like Pine you don't cook with Pine unless you shoveling coals but you will put a hunk of Flesh on a chunk of cedar and cook it. Why not just chunk a Cedar 2x4 in the old FB??? I'm being serious as a Heart attack I really would like a good answer.:confused:

Yes, the last time I had the 3 foot flames, the plank was soaked for an hour. I think the setup of a gas grill caused the fire. Plus the first date jitters.
Good idea on the spray bottle.
I will try half on the plank and half straight on the grill and see the difference. Maybe another time I can put some cedar straight in the fire.

I think the whole idea behind the cedar plank thing is just to insulate the salmon from the fire, more so than to impart any flavor. At least I could not detect any strong flavor difference when I tried it out. I have since used a screen type thingy to cook direct on the UDS. Just spray with pam or such and it will not stick enough to tear apart when cooked. Just my .015 cents worth.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I soak my cedar planks for at least an hour, and also keep a spray gun on hand to take care of flare ups. I also like to layer some lemon slices and dill under the salmon on the plank, and serve with with a lemon and dill Mayo or Aioli.

I do the same... 1 hour minimum soak.

DSC03954a.jpg

You do want the bottom of the plank to be charring and smoking, but if it's burning all the way through your fire is too hot/close.

As a bit of a cost savings suggestion, use 3/8-1/2 untreated rough cedar fence boards cut down to size rather than the planks you get at the grocery store.

Right, no smoke = no smoke flavor. When the draft is right the plank is smoking and there is an envelope of smoke around the planked food. Certain woods curl more than others, alder curls more than oak, you have to watch your plank from end-to-end for that.

DSC05165b.jpg

That said, a squirt bottle is handy just in case you spend 15 seconds too long taking photos...this is what you do NOT want to do :becky:

DSC07423a.jpg

I don't get the whole Cedar Plank thing??? Cedar is a Confiner like Pine you don't cook with Pine unless you shoveling coals but you will put a hunk of Flesh on a chunk of cedar and cook it. Why not just chunk a Cedar 2x4 in the old FB??? I'm being serious as a Heart attack I really would like a good answer.:confused:

Me and you both. I've done way too much camping in the Rockies with campfires of pine to want food to taste like that. At Sportsman's Warehouse I can get planks in alder and hickory, and sometimes cherry.

Payment as promised. The promise implied by posting a question. Here is the taste test beside a skirt steak after I took off the veggies.
VXqJis_dWX
2014-03-28%2019.45.41.jpg
cedarplanksalmon.jpg

The flavor difference was there, but I s'pose the cedar needed a little more charring. My fiance preferred the non planked. She thought it had more smoke flavor. I thought they were both good.

I agree with Bludawg, I don't get the cedar planking thing at all. I lived in Alaska for 45 years, mostly in Bristol Bay, where the greatest salmon runs in the world occur. I've eaten thousands of lbs of fresh-from-the-water salmon; all 5 species. We cooked a lot of it over wood coal fires, but I never saw anyone plop it on a piece of wood then frantically try to keep the wood from catching fire. Seems like a silly and pretentious method of cooking a good piece of fish.

But whatever, just my $.02

JP

I agree with Bludawg, I don't get the cedar planking thing at all. I lived in Alaska for 45 years, mostly in Bristol Bay, where the greatest salmon runs in the world occur. I've eaten thousands of lbs of fresh-from-the-water salmon; all 5 species. We cooked a lot of it over wood coal fires, but I never saw anyone plop it on a piece of wood then frantically try to keep the wood from catching fire. Seems like a silly and pretentious method of cooking a good piece of fish.

But whatever, just my $.02

JP

I thought Bludawg was commenting on the flavor you get when smoking using cedar..... and I don't like that flavor either. As far as planking, it's an interesting method as a plank does double duty. It acts as a heat shield and as it chars, it delivers smokey flavor.

I thought Bludawg was commenting on the flavor you get when smoking using cedar..... and I don't like that flavor either. As far as planking, it's an interesting method as a plank does double duty. It acts as a heat shield and as it chars, it delivers smokey flavor.

You are both correct:cool:

Back