MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
PrinceofQ
On the road to being a farker

Cool Academy Sports & Outdoors Charcoal Sale

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on a few charcoal sales I saw in the Academy ad today. Sale is from Aug. 25-31.

Kingsford 2-pack 13.9lb bags on sale for $7.49, normally $14.99.

Outdoor Gourmet 16.6lb Charcoal $2.99 a bag, normally $4.99. (Re-branded RO)

B&B 20lb Lump Charcoal $9.99 a bag, normally $14.99.

Seems like some great prices! I plan on picking up some Kingsford and some B&B wood pellets which are re-branded BBQrs Delight Pellets and sell for $9.99 for a 20lb bag (Normal price)

~Jay Prince

Last edited by PrinceofQ; 08-27-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: added picture of ad
PrinceofQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I'll be checking this one out. Thanks!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
PrinceofQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I'll be checking this one out. Thanks!
Any time!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
KBird

Can anyone comment on B&B lump vs. Royal Oak vs. Cowboy?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I like the B&B oak alot, even better on sale! Royal oak may be a little bit better but not by that much. I hear the new Cowboy stuff is good too, but I didn't like it when i first tried it a few years back.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on a few charcoal sales I saw in the Academy ad today. Sale is from Aug. 25-31.

Kingsford 2-pack 13.9lb bags on sale for $7.49, normally $14.99.

Outdoor Gourmet 16.6lb Charcoal $2.99 a bag, normally $4.99. (Re-branded RO)

B&B 20lb Lump Charcoal $9.99 a bag, normally $14.99.

Seems like some great prices! I plan on picking up some Kingsford and some B&B wood pellets which are re-branded BBQrs Delight Pellets and sell for $9.99 for a 20lb bag (Normal price)

~Jay Prince
Where do you see or know that "outdoor gourmet" is royal oak? I checked naked whiz and they don't list it on their site. I would like to check it out.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Wish I had an academy sports near me

Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
sumrtym
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybel View Post
Wish I had an academy sports near me
Especially when they have a new store opening with the giveaways. My take from the new store, all FREE:

2 t-shirts
Basketball
2 pairs of Wrangler Jeans
Crocs Yukon Sport Clogs
Berkley Fishing Bag (holds 3 plastic boxes)
10x10 E-Z Up
Wolverine Raider Men's MultiShox Contour Welt 6" Work Boots
sumrtym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBird View Post
Can anyone comment on B&B lump vs. Royal Oak vs. Cowboy?
IMHO B&B is better than Royal Oak or Cowboy. Significantly. More dense, fewer small pieces, burns longer, and maybe its my imagination but I think it smells better too. Not that I don't also like RO Lump because I do. I just think that B&B is one level above RO.

I can also vouch for the Outdoor Gourmet briquettes. They are in fact re branded Royal Oak, and I like them better than Kingsford. No petro smell when lighting.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
IMHO B&B is better than Royal Oak or Cowboy. Significantly. More dense, fewer small pieces, burns longer, and maybe its my imagination but I think it smells better too. Not that I don't also like RO Lump because I do. I just think that B&B is one level above RO.

I can also vouch for the Outdoor Gourmet briquettes. They are in fact re branded Royal Oak, and I like them better than Kingsford. No petro smell when lighting.
Thank you Q-Dat for the review on outdoor gourmet, you can't beat the price. Personally I'm a lump guy but my son is always looking for a deal on briquettes. Will pass this on to him.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
Thank you Q-Dat for the review on outdoor gourmet, you can't beat the price. Personally I'm a lump guy but my son is always looking for a deal on briquettes. Will pass this on to him.
I bought this pile last year at Memorial Day when they were $3.99 buy one get one free so that basically made them $2 per bag. I'm about half way through it with no regrets.

Those are piled two deep so its twice as much as it looks!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I'll be headed the 1.5 miles down the street to pick up my score of outdoor gourmet briqs tomorrow morning.

For anyone who is wondering, the outdoor gourmet "ridge" briqs are very good. Even if they aren't an exact match for royal oak, they are still darn good briqs, and don't stink like kingsford does. Performance wise, I'd say they would also put kf blue to shame as well. Fast lighting, long burning, and plenty of BTUs for a briq product.

On the B&B oak lump, if you want some great lump at a great price, stop by Academy. That is a fantastic deal for quality lump.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #13
PrinceofQ

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemci View Post
Where do you see or know that "outdoor gourmet" is royal oak? I checked naked whiz and they don't list it on their site. I would like to check it out.
The picture below is from Menards website. You will notice that the RO bag in the picture below & the Outdoor Gourmet bag in the picture in my first post above have the same New Ridge Charcoal Logo on them. Plus I did a search on this forum and members mentioned it in some posts and other BBQ forums members posted the same thing. :)

Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #14
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Yesterday

Bought the B&B and outdoor gourmet yesterday.
Both are excellent products being sold at a fantastic price.
I use the OG in my Pit Barrel and Tiernan SOB and the lump in the Primo. I mix and match and combine coals frequently. I think this makes the beer taste better.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
PrinceofQ

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Bought the B&B and outdoor gourmet yesterday.
Both are excellent products being sold at a fantastic price.
I use the OG in my Pit Barrel and Tiernan SOB and the lump in the Primo. I mix and match and combine coals frequently. I think this makes the beer taste better.
That's great to know! I'll have to pick up some of the OG to use in my PBC then. Can't beat that cheap of a price on charcoal. :)

~Jay Prince