MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
bjlasota
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Brandon
Default Wifi Extender for GMG?

Good morning,

Has anyone purchased a wifi extender to reach your GMG? I use my offset smoker on my back porch, and with that, the patio table, and the kids picnic table, it's about all the room I have for anything on that porch, which is in wifi distance. I'm planning to keep my GMG in my garage for the time being, but my steel doors prevent my wifi signal from reaching that far. Anyone have any experience with a decently priced extender to get the signal out to my grill? Looking to do a few smokes this week where I'll be away from home for a bit and still want to monitor my stats.

Or, maybe there's a wire antenna that I can plug into the factory input on the grill and just run it through my wall?

Last edited by bjlasota; 07-15-2019 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Add details.
bjlasota is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
miked125
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : IG sask_bbq

What frequency are you running? I would assume a 2.4 ghz signal would be strong enough to reach.
miked125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

I have used a wifi extender before, it got the job done. I used it to stream music to my wood shop which was about 250 feet from my house, where the router was. Don't remember the brand/model but it wasn't very expensive < $50.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
bjlasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked125 View Post
What frequency are you running? I would assume a 2.4 ghz signal would be strong enough to reach.
My router is dual output, so 2.4 and 5. For whatever reason though, I can never get the signal in my garage. So for watching hockey games in the woodshop through hulu live. So an extender may help.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

If your router can run merlin you can pump the signal power up.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
miked125

Name/Nickname : IG sask_bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlasota View Post
My router is dual output, so 2.4 and 5. For whatever reason though, I can never get the signal in my garage. So for watching hockey games in the woodshop through hulu live. So an extender may help.
I would double check that both are enabled and that your signal strength setting is at the highest level. A wifi extender as mentioned are pretty cheap.
miked125 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
bjlasota

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
If your router can run merlin you can pump the signal power up.
Unfortunately it's not. I have a TP-Link. I will check the signal strength though and see if there's a setting that I can crank it up on. Right now, the router is buried behind my tv, so that could maybe cause signal loss too. I'll see if I can hang it on the wall out front. Downside, is a 65" takes up most of my corner where I have it.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

The GMG owners forum on facebook has lot's of info on a low cost replacement antenna for the wifi controller that handles these issues.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
DBH

Go Orbi and be done with it. Not exactly cheap, but I cover a lot of area with mine.
22.5 OTG
Smokey Joe
E-330 gasser
More Thermapens than I know what to do with
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
Mikeincalgary
Knows what a fatty is.

If you have the ability to run an Ethernet cable, would suggest 2 of eap245 access points. Plug them into your router and turn off the routers wifi. Rock solid. A friend of mine has a eap225 outdoor and that sucker goes well over 100 yards for 2.4. Also keep your ssids named separately for each band.
Mikeincalgary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Extend, GMG, green mountain, wifi