18.5 WSM VS Davy Crockett/Pitboss ~$300

SmokyDick

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between these things.

Pellet grills having moving parts and being powered always makes me worried; A WSM should last virtually forever.

What do you think? I have a cheap offset and a 22in kettle. Offset is a pita to deal with and i'm having issues with smoke flavor/space with the kettle.

I'm thinking the WSM may be the way to go, any DC/Pitboss classic/700fb and WSM owners want to chime in with any issues they had?

Thanks for any info!

What is your issue with smoke flavor on the kettle? Too much or not enough? How are you using the kettle?

I think you answered your own question. WSM will last much longer but some people don't mind replacing cookers after a few years if they want the convenience of set and forget. It really depends on what you want.

I am one of those guys (I think it’s common around here) that likes to buy/try/sell/rebuy/repeat when it comes to cookers. I’ve had quite a few go through my backyard. What’s kind of funny is that after 25ish years and thousands of dollars and some pretty darn nice cookers, I am back to a Weber kettle (26.75”) and my pellet cooker. The reason I mention this is to say that out of everything I have had, this duo is probably my all time favorite. It’s simple, effective and the results (IMO) are tough to beat.

With that said, it’s truly a decision only you can make. What are YOUR needs? I love my pellet cooker for low n slow mainly because of its simplicity. Are the results as good as a WSM or stick-burner? That’s completely subjective! They are very good BUT different. Pellet cookers put out a very clean and light smoke profile... almost like smoke seasoning your food vs smoking your food. All I cook for, including myself, really like the end product that our pellet cooker produces. Back when I had my WSM’s, I was also able to turn out great food on those. A bit more work, but great food. I also LOVE having a pellet grill in the summer as we use it as our primary oven, keeping the heat outside. That alone makes it more versatile than a WSM and allows me to enjoy cooking outdoors WAY more often.

I to would be curious to hear more details behind your dissatisfaction with your kettle? I love love love my kettle!

Soooo, what are your priorities in a new cooker? Whatcha really looking for? What’s the “need”?

Last edited:
I have a Pitboss 820, it is nice to have for ease of use, and it makes some good food.

How long have you cooked on your cookers? Can you spend some more time figuring them out with advise from the brethren? Maybe you wouldn't need to buy a new one right now.

What is your issue with smoke flavor on the kettle? Too much or not enough? How are you using the kettle?

I just get zero smoke flavor out of it, even used mesquite chips and choked the top vent.

I mostly do ribs butts and chicken.

As for length of use - the offset for years but i'm just getting lazy. I can manage it well enough but its a hassle. I canj hold the kettle low and slow for hours with the snake but as I mentioned the flavor just isn't there.

I just get zero smoke flavor out of it, even used mesquite chips and choked the top vent.

I prefer chunks over chips. The reason for my question, is you are going to get a similar flavor from a wsm, as you will a kettle. Sounds like you need to change your cooking method on the kettle though.

What have you been cooking? Are you using the minion method, or snake method for low and slow? Sorry for the questions, just trying to help.

I prefer chunks over chips. The reason for my question, is you are going to get a similar flavor from a wsm, as you will a kettle. Sounds like you need to change your cooking method on the kettle though.

What have you been cooking? Are you using the minion method, or snake method for low and slow? Sorry for the questions, just trying to help.

I use snake with chunks of pecan/maple and mesquite chips to try and boost the smoke flavor.

Once I was able to get some smoke on some rubs but it still wasn't much.

Just thought about a PBC and thats another can of worms.

Last edited:
I use snake with chunks of pecan/maple and mesquite chips to try and boost the smoke flavor.

Once I was able to get some smoke on some rubs but it still wasn't much.

I would try getting some hickory chunks. Pecan and maple while good, tend to give a lighter smoke than hickory. How many chunks do you normally use? You might try adding more, and front load them on your charcoal ring. If you are unhappy with the amount of smoke from a kettle, I don't think a wsm, is going to make you any happier. Same with a pellet grill. I get about the same smoke flavor from my Yoder, as a kettle. If adding Hickory, and more chunks doesn't help, You might consider adding a smoke tube, and see if that helps.

I am guessing you are use to a dirtier smoke coming off your cos, and that flavor is pretty much impossible to duplicate, and once you get use to a cleaner smoke, you probably won't want to go back.

I would try getting some hickory chunks. Pecan and maple while good, tend to give a lighter smoke than hickory. How many chunks do you normally use? You might try adding more, and front load them on your charcoal ring. If you are unhappy with the amount of smoke from a kettle, I don't think a wsm, is going to make you any happier. Same with a pellet grill. I get about the same smoke flavor from my Yoder, as a kettle. If adding Hickory, and more chunks doesn't help, You might consider adding a smoke tube, and see if that helps.

I am guessing you are use to a dirtier smoke coming off your cos, and that flavor is pretty much impossible to duplicate, and once you get use to a cleaner smoke, you probably won't want to go back.

I guess i'm a sucker for 'over smoking' on the offset - even using 100% pecan splits. I never let it billow white or dark but I can't say its 100% perfect thin blue.

I'll continue to fiddle with size of chunks and position of said chunks and the top vent.

The last butt I did on the kettle just took zero smoke even though it had a decent ring.

As for the heavy use of pecan, I had to fell a large pecan tree in my yard and am making use of every stick.

I guess i'm a sucker for 'over smoking' and I guess its easier to do on the offset - even using 100% pecan splits.

I'll continue to fiddle with size of chunks and position of said chunks and the top vent.

The last butt I did on the kettle just took zero smoke even though it had a decent ring.

I always try to leave the top vent wide open, if possible. Control your temp with the bottom vent. Rotate your lid, so the vent is opposite of the lit portion of your snake. You might also try using the minion method, and then you can just keep adding chunks during the cook, and keep a constant smoke going. If it were me, I would work on the kettle, before opting to upgrade to a wsm, unless you just want more room.

I have found the perfect combination for me is an 18.5" WSM, pellet grill, and a Weber kettle. WSM gets butt duty and sometimes ribs (pellet grill is so easy that now they're usually on there), pellet cooker gets the most work, and the Performer gets steaks and anything that I want a bit of char/sear on (i.e. jerk chicken thighs). Brisket is usually split between the WSM and the pellet grill. It all depends on how easy I want the set up to be which is usually related to how much I have had to drink. If I had to pick between the WSM and pellet grill to be used exclusively for "smoking", I would choose the WSM without hesitation.

Last edited:
I have a Kettle and a WSM. Love em both, because they work well and are easy to use! That being said, I'm looking for a pellet cooker just because I think they're neat (I'm a giant nerd) and I want a truly set it and forget it option.

IMO you won't go wrong with both. They're both fun for different reasons :)

Poor old UDS doesn't seem to get much love anymore.

So- I'm just gonna say it

Build a UDS. :grin:

My first smoker was an 18.5" WSM. I've had it for over 10 years and it still works great. However, it doesn't get used as much now. I built a UDS 4 years ago and bought a 26" Weber Kettle 3 years ago. These 2 became my go to smoker/grills. The WSM and UDS cook very similarly. Neither require too much attention, but the UDS provides much more space for larger cooks and doesn't really use much more fuel. If I could only have 1, I would choose the 26" Kettle. Very versatile for grilling or smoking. Have had good results using the snake method. I even had a 22" grate that I added carriage bolts to, so it can sit on top of the 26" grate. Nearly double the capacity for smoking smaller items such as wings or country style ribs.

I get good smoke flavor from my Performer (kettle) and my WSM. Try the snake method and hickory chunks (not chips) in your kettle next time. As for the choice between WSM and pellet pooper, I have both. The pooper is new and I am really enjoying it, but if I had to choose, I would choose the WSM. The combination of gasser, kettle, and WSM has served me well over the years. YMMV.

Back