First Sausage Run

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Finally got around to making some home made sausage. Thank you to Sleebus.Jones for the pointers and detailed instructions.

Sleebus Jones original post.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242074

My last post.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266518

Made a 5lbs batch out of pork butt and tri-tip.

Soaked the natural hog casings.
5pknruvl.jpg

Seasoned with salt, pepper, mustard powder, crushed garlic cure number one, and a little dehydrated milk powder.
vQfiKDjl.jpg

mixed the seasoning in with the water.
E4k4wnBl.jpg

Tri-tip and pork butt.
1uuv3o9l.jpg

Hog casing on a vintage Kitchen Aid grinder. (The tube is new)
HxqdryWl.jpg

Ground with seasoning mixed in.
sGKyy0bl.jpg

Stuffed and ready to hit the smoke.
v2avmc7l.jpg

Smoked between 175 and 200 for a couple hours.
EJ5xq0Xl.jpg

I decided to poach one link per Sleebus.Jones instructions and leave one on the smoker for a while longer.
ysitzl0l.jpg

Ice bath.
lNkrwBbl.jpg

Both links finished.
B98MuTCl.jpg

Both methods were good but I think I prefer the link that stayed in the smoker the whole time. The poach rinsed a bit of the smoke flavor off.

The seasoning portions was really a crap shoot. My digital scale is not sufficient for this and I will be ordering a new one that reads fractions of grams.

Thanks again for all the input and feedback in my original post a few weeks back.

Matt

Goof job.
This is a Killer Recipe.
I set up a Excel Spreadsheet that calculates all of the ingredients according to the total weight of the sausage. Everything is calculated in grams. Spreadsheet takes all the quesswork out and give a exact mix every time.

Looking great! Nothing like homemade for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

Nice work. I'm with you on the poaching. Depending on the sausage, I do steam to finish sometimes. It helps plump up the final product.

Nice Sausage mate, no going back now.
One day try Poaching then smoking, you may be surprised

Nice first attempt!! It'll get easier the more times you do it.

Couple of observations:

1. Needed to use mustard seeds, not mustard powder
2. I really don't use milk powder, never felt the need, but experimentation is part of the fun!
3. Did you have a separate ice bath, or did you dump ice into the poaching water? You may have, but hard to tell since it's the same pot. I always use a separate container.

As for washing the smoke off, well, that's the style of the recipe. :) If you get Polish sausage from someplace like Chicago, you'll find that it's not overly smoky, it's a light smoke. That's not to say that there isn't heavily smoked Polish sausage...some of the styles come out almost black!

So glad you gave it a try!

Nice first attempt!! It'll get easier the more times you do it.

Couple of observations:

1. Needed to use mustard seeds, not mustard powder
Was wondering if that made a big difference.

2. I really don't use milk powder, never felt the need, but experimentation is part of the fun!
It was an afterthought. Think I threw a 1/2 teaspoon in at the last min.

3. Did you have a separate ice bath, or did you dump ice into the poaching water? You may have, but hard to tell since it's the same pot. I always use a separate container.
I dumped the hot water and quickly replaced it what an ice bath.

As for washing the smoke off, well, that's the style of the recipe. :) If you get Polish sausage from someplace like Chicago, you'll find that it's not overly smoky, it's a light smoke. That's not to say that there isn't heavily smoked Polish sausage...some of the styles come out almost black!

So glad you gave it a try!

This was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun. Next time it will be easier. a big part of it was figuring out things like separating and soaking the casing, getting the casing on the stuffer and managing the stuffing process which would have been a lot easier with a couple of extra hands. I had the process down pretty good about mid way through.

Thanks again for the help. You will definitely see a few more batches in the near future.

I am going to have to try this. That's why I have hanging rods in my smoker.

This was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun. Next time it will be easier. a big part of it was figuring out things like separating and soaking the casing, getting the casing on the stuffer and managing the stuffing process which would have been a lot easier with a couple of extra hands. I had the process down pretty good about mid way through.

Thanks again for the help. You will definitely see a few more batches in the near future.

Yup, mustard powder vs. seeds will make a big difference. You get pops of flavor rather than it spread throughout.

Casings are definitely entertaining, but wait until you try a recipe with lamb casings. It's like trying to open a piece of dental floss! They seem to exist solely to tie themselves in knots. Huge PITA. I'll only be buying tubed ones in the future...no cheap bulk packs thankyouverymuch!

Also with the poached sausage, if you had it on the same day, you may be a bit "nose blind" due to being around the smoker. On the second day, you'll probably be surprised as to how much smoke is in the sausage, and you'll probably notice it's a much more mellow, pleasant smoke than the unpoached. Or not! :becky:

Back