MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT
Default TV Show: Kill It, Cook It, Eat It

I caught this show last night on Current TV, anybody seen this? It's a BBC show they're playing here. They take a group of volunteers who are a mix of meat eaters, vegans, and vegetarians and take them along the process of growing cattle, pigs, lamb, etc and tracking the animal from birth to slaughter. Pretty cool show, watch if you get the chance.

http://current.com/shows/kill-it-cook-it-eat-it/

Here is the schedule from the website:

Burgers Tuesday, January 11, 10/9c Volunteers get a hands-on lesson in how a hamburger goes from pasture to plate.

Lamb Kebabs Tuesday, January 18, 10/9c Volunteers follow farm-raised lambs on the journey from livestock to mincemeat.

Sausages Tuesday, January 25, 10/9c Volunteers explore and debate the process of turning pigs into sausage.

Nuggets Tuesday, February 1, 10/9c Volunteers slaughter, pluck and butcher their evening meal.

Offal Feast Tuesday, February 8, 10/9c Volunteers try to stomach an offal feast of heart, tongue, and testicles.

Choice Cuts Tuesday, February 15, 10/9c A look back: Volunteers learn how farm animals become fast food favorites.

Deer Tuesday, February 22, 10/9c Volunteers explore how venison gets to the dinner table.

Duck Tuesday, March 1, 10/9c Novice hunters learn how duck goes from wild game to dinner entre.

Rabbit Tuesday, March 8, 10/9c City folk get a taste of wild game by hunting rabbit.

Grouse Tuesday, March 15, 10/9c Inexperienced hunters debate the moral and ethical issues surrounding the eating of grouse.

Choice Cuts Part 2 Tuesday, March 22, 10/9c A look back: What are the different methods used to track, kill and butcher the wild game?
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hope I don't have to go to MambyPambyLand to see it. ;)

Thanks!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Phubar

Thanks for the info Bro'!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
I hope I don't have to go to MambyPambyLand to see it. ;)

Thanks!
You can if you're up for a plane flight! Getting Current TV added to your cable would probably be cheaper though. lol

Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Arlin_MacRae

HEHE No doubt!!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Flaming Pig Head Mod

Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
landarc

Gah! Plucking ducks and chickens, I so hate that job. And since I was not a member and did not own my own gun, I was always the guy that had to pluck. Did I miss the show on hot dogs? Now that would be an eye-opener.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
bigabyte

I prefer to buy my meat from the store where no animals are harmed! Hey, it's true, I read it in the newspaper once!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

I caught the first episode on hamburgers the other night. That one guy from Mamby Pamby land...I just wanted to go and slap him and his jackwagon he rode in on back to MPL. I really couldn't tell if this was something they were trying to use to exploit the meat industry or what...I didn't catch all of it and was somewhat distracted working on some other things while it was on...but it appeared to be some kind of leftwing propaganda documentary...which those really get me blood boiling. I grew up on a cow/calf operation...and I raised 4-H steers every year that yeah, it was hard to send them off to slaughter every year. But I understood that that is how things work. After college, I worked 10 years in the meat industry, so watching it really didn't give me that "shock" value that your average viewer probably experienced.
It makes me sick that people out there actually believe that the food they eat comes from "factories". One year at the State Fair, the FFA kids had a milking demo set up and some lady comes up and just started railing on them for lying to all these little kids, telling them that milk actually comes from cows... She was adamant that it comes from the stores in milk cartons and went as far as contacting one of the fair superintendents to tell them that they needed to quit misleading these poor impressionable kids
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Beers View Post
One year at the State Fair, the FFA kids had a milking demo set up and some lady comes up and just started railing on them for lying to all these little kids, telling them that milk actually comes from cows... She was adamant that it comes from the stores in milk cartons and went as far as contacting one of the fair superintendents to tell them that they needed to quit misleading these poor impressionable kids
You have got to be kidding! This was in Kansas??? Where was she from, I wonder - Long Island?

Flaming Pig Head Mod

Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
You have got to be kidding! This was in Kansas??? Where was she from, I wonder - Long Island?
Not kidding... it was in Hutch, and I believe she was from Wichita. She kept saying that it came from machines in factories...and she was really upset about it. Probably didn't help that there were a bunch of us "dumb" farm kids standing around egging her on
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
btcg
Babbling Farker

When I was a kid (in Dearborn Heights Michigan - suburbia americana) my Dad and the old man next door bought a dozen live chickens. About a week later (after we'd fed them and named them), him and the old man killed em & cooked em.

None of the 4 of us kids would eat em. My Dad was furious. I'll never forget seeing those chickens run around after their heads were cut off.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I caught the first episode on hamburgers the other night. That one guy from Mamby Pamby land...I just wanted to go and slap him and his jackwagon he rode in on back to MPL. I really couldn't tell if this was something they were trying to use to exploit the meat industry or what...I didn't catch all of it and was somewhat distracted working on some other things while it was on...but it appeared to be some kind of leftwing propaganda documentary...which those really get me blood boiling. I grew up on a cow/calf operation...and I raised 4-H steers every year that yeah, it was hard to send them off to slaughter every year. But I understood that that is how things work. After college, I worked 10 years in the meat industry, so watching it really didn't give me that "shock" value that your average viewer probably experienced.
It makes me sick that people out there actually believe that the food they eat comes from "factories". One year at the State Fair, the FFA kids had a milking demo set up and some lady comes up and just started railing on them for lying to all these little kids, telling them that milk actually comes from cows... She was adamant that it comes from the stores in milk cartons and went as far as contacting one of the fair superintendents to tell them that they needed to quit misleading these poor impressionable kids
It didn't seem like propoganda to me and as landarc knows I'm pretty far from left wing. I found it pretty balanced, they emphasized that meat is not grown in the supermarket and that animals have to die, which really pissed that vegan dude off (I think he's from MambyPambyLand too) and they did try to stress the small-local-sustainable farm thing over mass produced meat. They seemed to push the point that their animals at least have a good life and since all animals die the way they die there is the best of any options. That's when that vegan guy talked about letting nature run it's course and if he had a cat and it was suffering that he would let it suffer before putting it to sleep. Some people just can't stomach death, I think it's partly rooted in their own fear of death but I'm not a shrink so I couldn't tell ya. I can't wait till they go hunting and those sissies have to actually kill an animal themselves. I got $5 says Vegandude has a conniption.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
It didn't seem like propoganda to me and as landarc knows I'm pretty far from left wing. I found it pretty balanced, they emphasized that meat is not grown in the supermarket and that animals have to die, which really pissed that vegan dude off (I think he's from MambyPambyLand too) and they did try to stress the small-local-sustainable farm thing over mass produced meat. They seemed to push the point that their animals at least have a good life and since all animals die the way they die there is the best of any options. That's when that vegan guy talked about letting nature run it's course and if he had a cat and it was suffering that he would let it suffer before putting it to sleep. Some people just can't stomach death, I think it's partly rooted in their own fear of death but I'm not a shrink so I couldn't tell ya. I can't wait till they go hunting and those sissies have to actually kill an animal themselves. I got $5 says Vegandude has a conniption.
My cat had a bad distention when his heart was failing, and I had him put to sleep. Can't see how anyone who claims to have morals would let an animal suffer.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Gerritt
Got Wood.

I would urge people to watch Food Inc. not because I am anti-meat (I am a meatatarian).. but because I am pro-farmer. I try and purchase most of my animal products directly from the farmer, The farmer earns a decent wage (alot more then the large packagers), for a decent product... I prefer it this way. I have dealt with the same farmer for 20+ years.

G.
Gerritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Just wait till Wal Mart gets it's hands in the food supply.