• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

prime rib

Get the temps up to 325 or so with charcoal and a little wood of your choice. Season up the prime rib to your taste. I prefer just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Montreal steak seasoning is another good choice, but I would add some salt.

I would turn it ever 45 minutes. Should be done in 2 or 3 hours or when internal hits 125-140 depending on how well done you want it. Let it rest for 15 minutes then slice and serve.

A meat like Prime Rib does not need low and slow. For that matter, I am finding that brisket doesn't either.

7c5d8921.jpg

A standing rib roast is about the easiest cook there is. (breaking out the checkbook is the hardest part :biggrin:)

On your drum, you can smoke them over medium, low or a rather high temperature bed of coals. The decision of searing is not needed on a drum, as the direct set-up will usually give you a very good color and caramelization. You don't have to be concerned with any collagen to gelatin conversion like you do with a brisket or butt, all you really need to do is watch the final internal temperature.

I prefer to start with a cold bone-in roast, seasoned with salt and pepper or maybe a Canadian steak rub. I put it in a 225 degree pit with the bone down, and cook until the internal is 120 to 125 degrees. I rest 10 minutes or so. I stick them with a remote cable type thermometer after 30 minutes and watch it like a hawk. Sometimes I even have to ramp the cooker temp down if it's coming up to temp too fast.

d7f1cce0.jpg

6b0f19bd.jpg

The low pit temp will insure a very even doneness across each slice and end to end. Sometimes if I hold my mouth right I'll get a little smoke ring too.

IMG_0155a2.jpg

Get the temps up to 325 or so with charcoal and a little wood of your choice. Season up the prime rib to your taste. I prefer just salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Montreal steak seasoning is another good choice, but I would add some salt.

I would turn it ever 45 minutes. Should be done in 2 or 3 hours or when internal hits 125-140 depending on how well done you want it. Let it rest for 15 minutes then slice and serve.

A meat like Prime Rib does not need low and slow. For that matter, I am finding that brisket doesn't either.
When any of you guy's do thick cuts of meat like pork butt, briskets or other thick cuts of meat, ever use any type of flavored or spiced injections

Back