MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Jenks, Oklahoma (Oct 24-25)

Anybody familiar with this event? I think it said third annual but the Web site is seriously lacking in content (a lot of "coming soon" even though the event is coming sooner - Okie humor? )

I was just looking for an alternative in case Kurzweil's doesn't make it... would hate to see that happen because Kurzweil's is 20 minutes from the house. Jenks is 4 hours. But I got two aging briskets already that need to see a comp.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Plowboy

Bring 'em to my house.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk...if Kurzweils doesn't make it? When Glasgow, MO started their contest (I think it was 4 years ago), everybody was 'waiting to see if they'd make it'. Now, how in the hell is a contest going to make it if people bail on it? We went to Glasgow that year, towns people made it 15 teams, the next year, over 25, it's grown every year. Sure, going to a 25 team contest would be beneficial to whomever won, but, what if some dude gets loaded and gets DQ'd and then theres 24? Did you still have a good time? Did you enjoy cooking it and giving it your all? Just a little food for thought.

BTW, it's Jenks 3rd year.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
I'm not meaning to sound like a jerk...if Kurzweils doesn't make it? When Glasgow, MO started their contest (I think it was 4 years ago), everybody was 'waiting to see if they'd make it'. Now, how in the hell is a contest going to make it if people bail on it? We went to Glasgow that year, towns people made it 15 teams, the next year, over 25, it's grown every year. Sure, going to a 25 team contest would be beneficial to whomever won, but, what if some dude gets loaded and gets DQ'd and then theres 24? Did you still have a good time? Did you enjoy cooking it and giving it your all? Just a little food for thought.

BTW, it's Jenks 3rd year.
Diva I hope I do not come across as a jerk but a contest 4 years getting participation versus a contest today, there is no comparison. People are tight on money today and if they are going to spend it on a competition, they want to make sure they have a chance to win some prize money to help cover there costs. If they can parlay that into a GC and win more and get a draw to the Jack for next year that is more of a plus. I totally agree we need to suppport these competitions at the end of the year but I think right now teams are looking for ways to cover there costs. Just my 2 cents!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

No, man, not at all. I see your point as well, and I see Jeffs too. It's all good.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
No, man, not at all. I see your point as well, and I see Jeffs too. It's all good.
Pretty accommodating tonight, aren't you?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Jeff_in_KC

I didn't mean to come across as negative on Chris's gig, Steph. I'm just thinking that if he canceled it, where would I go? I see contests canceled on the KCBS site every so often and realize it's always a possibility if the organizer doesn't get teams. The whole point of this thread was to find a place to compete in the event Garden City didn't go.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Totally understandable. I seriously doubt that Chris would cancel it, especially after the Chillicothe debacle. Wherever you go, have a great time, cook well and I'll be cheering for you from the Holler.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
GratefulSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Jenks will be our first competition. From what everyone has said it is a great event. It is held right on the Arkansas River and in front of one of the most beautiful and popular shopping centers in the Tulsa area. I'm sure there are some more okies out there that can give you more information.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#00ff00][URL="http://www.smokinandfarmin.wordpress.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black][U]Team Name:[/U][/COLOR] New Pigs On The Block BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][U][COLOR=black]Smokers:[/COLOR][/U] FEC100, 4 x Weber Kettles 22.5, 1951 Hasty Bake project, Hasty Bake Ranger[/COLOR][/SIZE]
GratefulSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulSmoker View Post
Jenks will be our first competition. From what everyone has said it is a great event. It is held right on the Arkansas River and in front of one of the most beautiful and popular shopping centers in the Tulsa area. I'm sure there are some more okies out there that can give you more information.
Joshua, thanks for the info. If I came down, I'd just need to be sure to bring Head Country sauce, huh?
KCBS Member #14287

Old 10-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Joshua, thanks for the info. If I came down, I'd just need to be sure to bring Head Country sauce, huh?
Joshua, feel free to remind him to bring his fire extinguisher too

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
GratefulSmoker

Funny thing, I've lived here for a few years now and have never really liked it. I guess growing up around KC exposed me to too many good sauces. But, you are right, there are people down here that swear by it!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#00ff00][URL="http://www.smokinandfarmin.wordpress.com"][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black][U]Team Name:[/U][/COLOR] New Pigs On The Block BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000][U][COLOR=black]Smokers:[/COLOR][/U] FEC100, 4 x Weber Kettles 22.5, 1951 Hasty Bake project, Hasty Bake Ranger[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

The parking area is very tight (they put you on the grass next to the shopping center and the river) so if you have a bigger rig, check with the organizer. They had a problem first year with power, someone was overloading the circuits and kept tripping the breaker.

Pretty good event, they're trying to improve. I've judged there but hope to compete next week.

I think they had 41 teams last year. Twin Oaks won.

Russ
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
GratefulSmoker

Thanks for the info Russ. Look forward to meeting you next weekend!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
Jeff_in_KC

Hopefully I'll know by Monday which way I'm going. This is kind of intriguing to take off on a road trip especially since I still don't have a spare tire. LOL!
KCBS Member #14287