MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default My Christmas Prime Rib

It looks like a lot of folks are cooking PR's for Christmas, so I thought I'd share the technique I'm using on mine. First the roast; a 6-1/2 pound choice standing rib roast, bones removed for cookin' later.

The seasoning was courtesy of thillin, it comes from Kreuz Market down in Lockhart, Texas. Basically, the rub is a mix of salt, black pepper and cayenne. It is their standard shoulder clod rub and I'm guessing it is used on their prime rib too.

The set-up on my BGE will be very raised direct, with a 225° temp at the grate, using a small but even fire. Here is an earlier cook.

Without the bone, I'm shooting for a nice enough crust that an end sear won't be needed. For a baseline, I'm allowing 20 to 25 minutes per pound, but will stick it after an hour with my cable thermometer and monitor the internal until it is finished .... ramping the pit temp up or down as needed. Rest time will be a half hour or less.

I sort of field tested a thin slice of the roast for breakfast this morning, with the Kreuz rub.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Wayne your killing me here.

Awesome breakfast for sure.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Norcoredneck

Looks fantastic. Man that breakfast what a meal.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Looks fantastic. Man that breakfast what a meal.
Okay, let's call it brunch.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good gawd man...you're goin to drive me to drink!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, that's a good thing. Thanks thirdeye!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
keale
Babbling Farker

Wayne, I just had breakfast and I'm dying!! Fried eggs and P.R??!!!
Looks wonderful!

Funny though Swamp, just Pm'd me and said you're the guy to ask about doing the P.R on UDS, and was going to do it, soooo
can you give some info? I'll put a pan on the bottom rack for some juices, do you think the pan being so close will mess up cooking times on the UDS? Any help you can provide would be great, P.M or post wold be fine.
What internal temp did you shoot for?

roy
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Prime Rib

WOW that looks awsome the only thing missing is some buttermilk biscuits and some white gravy, I can't stop droooooliing
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
swamprb

Looks very nice! Have you ever done one in the BDS? The website directions were for the Egg, I can only imagine how that would taste! Waiting patiently for Roys results, but I may have to take one for the team and try a little Select roast for New Years!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Jorge

thirdeye is evil! I have to wait 24hrs before I can start cooking ours.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by keale View Post
Wayne, I just had breakfast and I'm dying!! Fried eggs and P.R??!!!
Looks wonderful!

Funny though Swamp, just Pm'd me and said you're the guy to ask about doing the P.R on UDS, and was going to do it, soooo
can you give some info? I'll put a pan on the bottom rack for some juices, do you think the pan being so close will mess up cooking times on the UDS? Any help you can provide would be great, P.M or post wold be fine.
What internal temp did you shoot for?

roy
This is the first one I cooked on the BDS. Here is the summary: I loaded the cooker with charcoal at 2:00, lit a fire by 2:15 and let it get all settled in for 30 or 40 minutes and put the roast on at 3:00. Turned it at 3:30. Stuck a temp probe in at 4:45 (it registered 105°) then I just waited for it to go up to 125°. Rested it tented in foil and wrapped in newspaper and I was all done. I can't help with the drip pan, never used one.

I've cooked plenty of GOOD prime rib roasts, quite a few BETTER ones, but this one was one of the BEST ones. Technically it was "choice grade" standing rib roast. It was around 5 pounds and was 2 ribs long.

I rubbed it with a Montreal style rub, which is nice and coarse.

It went on the upper grate cold with a pit temp around 225° and a couple of small chunks of pecan for flavor. I started with the fat cap down for 30 minutes then turned ribs down for about 2 hours. No other turning and no mopping was required. This picture was about 90 minutes into the cook.

At 125° internal temperature I removed and rested for 20 minutes. No end-searing was needed. The color was just right and the crust was crispy. Notice the moistness and the VERY even doneness across the slice and the moistness in the bone area.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
BBQ Grail

That rocks. It's Prime Rib for Christmas dinner next year. Probably will have to cook a couple during the year to practice. Practice is good...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice. I'm doing one for new years eve. I hope it looks half as nice as yours.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Doing a 7.5 # Christmas day. Was going to do it on the weber but now will do it on the drum. Great looking piece of cow there Thanks for the temps and times We don't need no stinking practice usually when I say that my wife looks for something to hide behind or grabs the fire extinguisher LOL
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
This is the first one I cooked on the BDS. Here is the summary: I loaded the cooker with charcoal at 2:00, lit a fire by 2:15 and let it get all settled in for 30 or 40 minutes and put the roast on at 3:00. Turned it at 3:30. Stuck a temp probe in at 4:45 (it registered 105°) then I just waited for it to go up to 125°. Rested it tented in foil and wrapped in newspaper and I was all done. I can't help with the drip pan, never used one.

I've cooked plenty of GOOD prime rib roasts, quite a few BETTER ones, but this one was one of the BEST ones. Technically it was "choice grade" standing rib roast. It was around 5 pounds and was 2 ribs long.

I rubbed it with a Montreal style rub, which is nice and coarse.

It went on the upper grate cold with a pit temp around 225° and a couple of small chunks of pecan for flavor. I started with the fat cap down for 30 minutes then turned ribs down for about 2 hours. No other turning and no mopping was required. This picture was about 90 minutes into the cook.

At 125° internal temperature I removed and rested for 20 minutes. No end-searing was needed. The color was just right and the crust was crispy. Notice the moistness and the VERY even doneness across the slice and the moistness in the bone area.

Ho Ho Ho...Merry Christmas to my eyes!!! WOW!!!...great job Wayne!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

It looks like a lot of folks are cooking PR's for Christmas, so I thought I'd share the technique I'm using on mine. First the roast; a 6-1/2 pound choice standing rib roast, bones removed for cookin' later.

The seasoning was courtesy of thillin, it comes from Kreuz Market down in Lockhart, Texas. Basically, the rub is a mix of salt, black pepper and cayenne. It is their standard shoulder clod rub and I'm guessing it is used on their prime rib too.

The set-up on my BGE will be very raised direct, with a 225° temp at the grate, using a small but even fire. Here is an earlier cook.

Without the bone, I'm shooting for a nice enough crust that an end sear won't be needed. For a baseline, I'm allowing 20 to 25 minutes per pound, but will stick it after an hour with my cable thermometer and monitor the internal until it is finished .... ramping the pit temp up or down as needed. Rest time will be a half hour or less.

I sort of field tested a thin slice of the roast for breakfast this morning, with the Kreuz rub.

Your'e getting as bad (or good) as Rick with the pics... Looks very nice Wayne.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote