New comp this July 13-14 in Dayton (Kettering), Ohio

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
There will be a competition this July 13-14 in Dayton (Kettering), Ohio.

This is non-sanctioned, but they hope to have it sanctioned next year. They're going by KCBS rules with the exception of allowing any time of cooker desired, gas, electric, wood or charcoal.

Entry fees are only $100, with 100% payout. If you're close, it should be fun. The guys putting this on are really great guys, and it's at an American Legion, with lots of trees and grass. It's also about 15 minutes from my house!

http://www.rollingsmoke.com/ohioopen.htm

are you entering? i have a wedding in cincy on saturday the 14th otherwise, i'd go down there and watch at least... maybe burn some meat. i work with jimmy's hog pen.

Rick, we may have met if you do stuff with Jimmy. :) Yes, we're entering. It's the same weekend as Grand Rapids, which we'd only do because my teammate has family there, but 15 minutes from home is much better than 6 hours! I can actually go home to get some sleep, and if I forget something, I can send someone to get it! We'll be able to try out a more minimalist approach.

If you talk to Jimmy, tell him to send me an email! I haven't heard from him in months.

hahaa. i work with him in real life, not bbq life! :biggrin:

i told him to email ya

hey bucky, i didn't see your name on the list, but i saw big z's fine swine!

i'll be up there on friday to meet whoever's there. i really want to meet dave of ribs & bibs

We're not listed yet, but we'll be there... I just checked with Jim today... We'll be over Thursday getting our site, then bring everything over Friday

It's great having a comp 15 minutes from the house!

Yup, thats going to be my 1st comp and I am nervous as all get out!!:eek:

Not sure when I will be getting in on Friday but I am hoping around noon. I said HOPING.:roll:

Would love to meet you Rick:-D.

Curt, I think I might have met you at the Nelsonville comp a couple of years ago but it was dark and well....I'd had a couple of pops with the foam on top too!!:wink:

Still trying to get things ready.:roll:

Cool! see you guys up there on friday after 5. i'll be the one with the camera :biggrin:

Don't worry so much. :) It's going to be good. And you'll have fun.

I know. Thats what everyone says.

Easier said than done!!:lol:

Biggest WORRY is that I will embarass myself with the brisket......

My major stumbling block right now is only having one WSM to cook everything on. Bringing the OTG as well. I have been asking around to see if there was anyone willing to let me borrow their WSM for a couple of days but no leads as of yet.:roll:

What's the weather supposed to be like?

Weather is basically good... 30% chance of rain on Friday, no rain Saturday, with highs in the low 80's, humidity shouldn't be bad.

Curt, good luck to you and your team. Thinking im half tempted to drive down and hand out. But also thinking of driving to G.Rapids and meet tonto and others.
If the weather is chitty here and they were calling for rain on Saturday, may just stay home and enjoy the A/C.

Just want everybody whose doing comps this weekend to enjoy yourselves and keep hydrated.

Mike, if you decide to take a drive this way, you know you're always welcome at my site! I'm just praying the weather is good... But I'll have fun either way!

here's a few pix from last night at the first ohio open!

ohioopen2006-002.jpg

ohioopen2006-004.jpg

ohioopen2006-003.jpg

ohioopen2006-005.jpg

ohioopen2006-006.jpg

ohioopen2006-001.jpg

Huff BBQ, the only egger using eggs in the comp of 16 entries did pretty well with
1st in ribs
2nd in brisket
7th in pork
3rd overall

dave stamper (an egger) of ribs & bibs was grand champion and first in brisket

The comp was fun... judging was really inconsistent, but that was expected. The main point of the comp was to support a new, local comp so that next year will be sanctioned.

The comp was fun... judging was really inconsistent, but that was expected. The main point of the comp was to support a new, local comp so that next year will be sanctioned.

i talked to jimmy yesterday and he said they are sanctioned for 08! this will be my first comp :biggrin:

Back