• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken turn-in box

Is that chicken?????? Hmmm...maybe need to reconsider this judging class. Just kidding. Looks very apealing. Although every one of these I've seen, all the meat's look very similar in color. Hope there's a bit of variety out there. Scott

I think the chicken looks good but the box looks sloppy. With some attention to detail you would probably get a few more points. Thats the easy part, the hard part is cooking great looking chicken and it seems you have that part down.

hey mista, how many thighs you trying to get in that box anyway. i would look at the shape of the box and try to divide it up evenly, fitting one piece of chicken into each portion of the box, for example two rows of three for a total six. also i would watch the char around the edges, and perhaps a slightly thicker coat of sauce or glaze to make them a bit glossier. then i would pleat the lettuce to make it perfectly semetrical all the way around with only curly parts and no flat spots showing. thats about it but take my suggestions for what they are worth. i have never been in a competition before.
phil

The chicken looks great, but I agree with Rich - it looks a bit sloppy. A comment I've overheard from judges when meat overlaps or is piled on top of each other is that the cook is looking to hide some flaw. I'd also try and keep the lettuce in the box.

And if I'm not mistaken - you're disqualified for using red tipped leaf lettuce. Or was that the trick question from the beginning?

MrsMista said:
I didn't realize judging could be so persnickety.

Just wait untill they've had their third cup of coffee, then watch the persnickety run rampant:biggrin: :biggrin:

good comments, the lettuce needs to be even all around the box, it really is attention to detail on the turn in. You would get a 7 from me, it's better looking than expected, but has a ways to go to get a 9. Even though rookiedad says he's never been in a comp, he has sound advice. I think everyone in competition uses green leaf lettuce, wash it good, early on and then wrap it in a paper towel and keep it cool and moist.
Wish I was going to the Autry, but can't make it this year. Good luck to you.

We're having our test run this weekend. Gonna pull my brisket a little earlier than usual so I can get some good slices before it crumbles.

MrsMista said:
I didn't realize judging could be so persnickety.

This ain't the half of it! Parsley, Cilantro, ribs on their sides, like a slab etc etc etc.....

BrooklynQ said:
This ain't the half of it! Parsley, Cilantro, ribs on their sides, like a slab etc etc etc.....

Rob, you aren't a fan of ribs on their sides? :biggrin: I have turned 'em in both ways and scored about the same. I'm not as sure as I was that I like 'em that way either.

Ya need ta fit them even in the box You wouldnt belive how perfect guys have the boxs one after another. When judging one wonders if Chickens are really thighs only. perfect small matched thighs

I haven't taken a judging class, but I would have knocked off a bit for the burnt edges on a couple of pieces and its hard to tell but it looks like the thighs are different sizes. I think a box looks much better if the pieces are uniform in size.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Rob, you aren't a fan of ribs on their sides? :biggrin: I have turned 'em in both ways and scored about the same. I'm not as sure as I was that I like 'em that way either.

It really depends on the ribs. I prefer making them look like one slab - but that's not always do-able. Of course if the smoke ring, bark and white meat are really pronounced and look really good - then on their sides they go.

didnt read everything, but heres my.02.

Contrast garnish colors with different lettuces and parsley, get the pieces as uniform as possible, If needed trim your best ones at the end before you glze and use a sheers to trim off burnt ends or yucky skin, then continue to glaze and massage the pieces as u glaze them at the end. Use a latex gloved hand to make the glaze smooth and with no clumps. Dont stack you dont want it to touch the top of the box and leave a blob.

Attachments

• DSCN2307.JPG
    DSCN2307.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 103
Mista
Try dunking the chicken in hot bbq sauce using tongs.
Put the chicken back on the smoker to color up.
It will give you a more even sauce coating on the chicken and eliminates those brush dollops.
It don't need the garnish between the chicken remember focus on the bird not the garnish. I would not put garnish in the middle of the box.

If I were judging, I think I'd be more likely to not like how blurry the back pieces look than the little bit of darker spots. I actually like that part, but I might not score up as much as I might without the darker areas. Having uniform pieces I think helps with appearance, but I don't think I'd care if there was any sauce on the box lid.. that just tells me the cook put as much in as he could, and I couldn't count off for it, I dont' think. It's not like it's pooled in the box.

Online judging for appearance is tough... you get all day to stare at the photo and pick it apart, where in the tent, you get a chance to look it over and it's gone on to the next judge. I've noticed that on the BBQ Forum, and I posted a pic of brisket on another forum, not even asking for feedback, and got someone's opinion that it looked dry. I wasn't asking, and you can't tell everything from a picture taken outside under an EZ Up right before turn in.

Back