MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ham vs Butt

Lets hear it guy's. Do you prefer your q made with the ham or a butt?

For me I prefer a butt, it just taste's better to me.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Carolina gamecock
On the road to being a farker

I like big butts and I can not lie...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

The leg has a different amount of fat and muscle arrangement than the shoulder does..... I prefer the shoulder. And if I had to choose between the butt end and the picnic end, the butt would win. That said if I was cooking 3 items, I would make it two butts and one picnic.... unless I could get a whole shoulder, then I would take that.

You never want to see me in a Baskin Robbins store, I drive 'em crazy, then settle for chocolate. Heheheee.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Butt/shoulder is my favorite, but nothing wrong with ham either, especially from a young hog. A hog cooked whole and everything pulled and mixed together is mighty hard to beat.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Butt/shoulder is my favorite, but nothing wrong with ham either, especially from a young hog. A hog cooked whole and everything pulled and mixed together is mighty hard to beat.
I agree, I have cooked several whole hogs and they are excellent!

73 views so far and 3 replies Come on guy's, don't be afraid to voice your opinion. Just trying to get a general idea of what most folks like.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

I like butts over picnics but have never done fresh ham, but have been wanting to.

I have also done many more butts. At least monthly I do a double and freeze the second for later(things like Butt Gnarley soup, or enchiladas or??)

I was looking into a whole hog(butchered) and was wondering the same thing.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Mattmo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
I agree, I have cooked several whole hogs and they are excellent!

73 views so far and 3 replies Come on guy's, don't be afraid to voice your opinion. Just trying to get a general idea of what most folks like.
We had a hog butchered up a few months ago...I left some of the hams fresh instead of cured. I tried to do pulled pork with one (these were 4-5) pounds, and it wasn't easy to pull. I don't think there was very much fat in it....I'm not a pro, you just said to not be afraid to voice my opinion lol I have cooked several butts and never had trouble with them pulling like that. Maybe it was the size of the ham???
Mattmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
chrisjen
Got Wood.

I also have been curious about smoking a fresh ham?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
thompson238
Got Wood.

I prefer the shoulder myself!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmo View Post
We had a hog butchered up a few months ago...I left some of the hams fresh instead of cured. I tried to do pulled pork with one (these were 4-5) pounds, and it wasn't easy to pull. I don't think there was very much fat in it....I'm not a pro, you just said to not be afraid to voice my opinion lol I have cooked several butts and never had trouble with them pulling like that. Maybe it was the size of the ham???
4-5 lbs is aweful small for a ham. No there's not a lot of fat in a ham which is why I think it takes a little more practice/skill to cook one. They are not as forgiving as a butt or shoulder but tastes good.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

I have cooked both and I prefer the butt. 7 to 8 pounds is perfect.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
Mattmo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
4-5 lbs is aweful small for a ham. No there's not a lot of fat in a ham which is why I think it takes a little more practice/skill to cook one. They are not as forgiving as a butt or shoulder but tastes good.
Yes it is small. It is the first hog we've ever butchered and it was a mistake getting them packaged that small... We've been using them for crock pot roast etc.
Mattmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #13
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Allright so I am certainly not the expert here but I sure am interested. The shoulder has a really nice(high) fat content and hams (picnics?) don't. I have never cooked a ham, but it would seem to me that it needs to be cooked quite differently than a shoulder. Advice??

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I've cured my own ham but never done one "fresh". Seems to me that if you're looking for a sliced product then a ham would be hard to beat. If you want pulled you've got to go with the butt. Not nearly enough fat and connective tissue in a ham for it to pull properly without being dry.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #15
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm not sure it's fair to even compare the 2. Ham's have a much lower fat to meat ration and the muscle groups run very different and have much less connective tissue than a butt. I only cook hams to slicing temp unless it's a whole hog cook, and then they're done when the butts are done. As far as preference...whole shoulder over a butt. But I can't get whole shoulders where I live right now, so when I want the taste and texture of the whole shoulder, I have to cook a butt and a picnic and mix after they're done.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote