MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #91
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossyMO View Post
Sparky is another that loves his PBC!
My condolences on losing your Weber's, you will want a few back...
Oh, and by the way... as I continue to use this PBC, the more the above comment is turning out to be false! ;)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #92
awscwi
Full Fledged Farker

Yall talked me into it. Should be here soon!

Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #93
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by awscwi View Post
Yall talked me into it. Should be here soon!
Sucka ;) It will quickly become your go-to cooker!! I sold everything minus my Weber Genesis gasser... that's how much I like this thing. I find it is soooo easy that I want to cook outdoors even more now. NO HASSLE + OUTSTANDING RESULTS = MORE BBQ :)

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #94
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Just wondering. What if you put 4 holes in your UDS added some rebar and got some hooks. Would it be the close to the PBC? Oh, and plugged the exhaust vents.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #95
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Just wondering. What if you put 4 holes in your UDS added some rebar and got some hooks. Would it be the close to the PBC? Oh, and plugged the exhaust vents.
Not sure...do you have a 55 gallon barrel? These are 30 gallon. In addition to that, according to Noah (owner of PBC), it took him 30 messed up barrels before nailing it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...

Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #96
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Not sure...do you have a 55 gallon barrel? These are 30 gallon. In addition to that, according to Noah (owner of PBC), it took him 30 messed up barrels before nailing it. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try...
yeah I've got a 55. But I'm thinking, after watching the videos, that four holes some rod and hangers and i can give it a try. Then if I really like it, buy a PBC from Noah. Then cover up the holes with bottle openers
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #97
rwalters

Quote:
yeah I've got a 55. But I'm thinking, after watching the videos, that four holes some rod and hangers and i can give it a try. Then if I really like it, buy a PBC from Noah. Then cover up the holes with bottle openers
Go for it...if nothing else, I think it would satisfy the curiosity of a lot of us!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #98
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
It is doable on a 55 but I don't know how the results would compare. Would be interesting to compare. I don't know about others, but I like the Pit Barrel because it runs at a hotter temp than a standard 55g UDS. The way I think of it is PBC=Hot and Fast and UDS=Low and Slow.

A standard UDS comes in handy when you have the time to do a 10lb pork butt over the course of 12-16 hours. The PBC can have it done in about 6; a much shorter time frame to deal with, which is good if you have deadlines for when your food has to be done. Sure you could crank up the heat in your UDS, but a bigger barrel to heat means more charcoal that needs to be burned.

Another company markets a 55gal version of the PBC. The D-Meat Barrel is essentially the same thing but in 55gal size and with a price point of $400. Its made from a drum that is specially made for the company which basically jacks up the price in the final bill. Plus it adds (without the customers request or customization) side tables, and fancy metal work to use the lid as the exhaust damper. All frills that some people can do without. There are some youtube vids of it and an old thread here on the brethren about it. Its an interesting product, but compared to the PBC for $225 with the discount coupon from Grilling.com, its a no brainer!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #99
rwalters

Ok, so I was FINALLY able to try one of my favorites on the PBC tonight... baby back ribs :) I can honestly say the following:
1) This was hands down the easiest rib cook I have ever done. Trim and rub ribs, light PBC, wait 20 minutes, hang ribs, pull at 2.5 hr mark and sauce, return to PBC for 30 minutes, pull and enjoy. ABSOLUTELY NO FOIL IS NEEDED!!! And only 3 hours!!
2) These ribs were outstanding. Everyone that we fed had nothing but rave comments.

I have no idea how these things don't burn...they are hanging within 2-3 inches of the charcoal. And they are perfectly and evenly cooked top to bottom... amazing!!

This PBC continues to blow me away!!!

Last edited by rwalters; 01-01-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #100
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Yep, I had the same "I don't get it, but it works really well" experience late last summer, as I documented on my blog. The PBC is simply the simplest BBQ cooker on the planet. I've stopped trying to figure out why (a scientist couldn't either), and now I just enjoy brain-dead-easy BBQ bliss.

John

P.S. This is a phenomenon that allowed Noah and me to beat "The Godfather Of Ribs" (Johnny Trigg) in ribs and pork at a competition last summer, using only Pit Barrel Cookers, Kingsford blue bag, and *gasp* lighter fluid.
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #101
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Just did a rack of spares and a small pork shoulder tonight for dinner on the PBC. Pics will be up shortly on a new thread...

Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #102
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Looks like a smaller UDS to me. If it works for you, more power to ya!
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #103
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I modded a UDS I have at work right before the holidays to do the same as the pit barrel cooker. I purchased the hooks, drilled the holes in my uds, got some stainless 1/2" diameter rods and set up the bbq guru to run the uds at 290. I put in 6 slabs of baby back ribs and they turned out great although I followed the cooking time from their videos and wound up losing one of the slabs off the hooks. Luckilly I had put a grate above the charcoal ring and was able to save it For the first cook they got rave reviews, but I will have to reduce the cook time slightly for the next cook.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #104
THEdexaTRON
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What is the best way to clean out the ash?
THEdexaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #105
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEdexaTRON View Post
What is the best way to clean out the ash?
Oh yeah...that's another thing I am loving about the PBC. Lay a sheet (the 18" stuff) of aluminum foil under the charcoal basket... then, after the coals have died, all you have to do is carefully remove the foil without dumping the ash, and toss in the trash. Again, this thing is EASY-PEASY :)