MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Ezra
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Bacon and Ham from a Fresh Pig...

A friend of mine and I have harvested a pig that we have been raising. This is our first time butchering a whole hog. We are to cure/smoke/preserve the bacon and hams, but need help/suggestions.

I see a lot of bacon recipes on the internet. Many of these recipes use insta cure, is this necessary, or is any salt mixture recipe enough to cure the meat?

The hams I'm not entirely sure what to do with. I figured i would smoke them, is a cure necessary before smoking? We plan of smoking/curing them, then dividing them up and freezing to have them as needed.

Also I don't have a smoke house, but an offset and a Weber smokey mountain. How would I cold smoke with either of these for the bacon?

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

-Ezra

Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Thirdeye has a great site with good info on Bacon.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...2/recipes.html

Instacure is a choice.

It will give the cured meat the distinctive pink color and texture. It also kills any baddies that could cause botulism or other food born illnesses. So, if you only salt cure, you should be extra careful in your prep and handling and you won't have the color or texture you may be used to. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but just a choice. We were using regular salt and spices for thousands of years to preserve meat before pink salt was ever introduced.

This guy goes about meat preparation in more traditional ways without pink salt. Worth a look to check out.

http://www.farmsteadmeatsmith.com/

I'm sure others will chime in, I'm certainly not an expert.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You do not "need" insta cure or pink salt. It makes the meat pink and also adds some insurance against the growth of harmful microbes.

The best bacon and ham in the world is made with salt and a little sugar (+ spices).
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
A friend of mine and I have harvested a pig that we have been raising. This is our first time butchering a whole hog. We are to cure/smoke/preserve the bacon and hams, but need help/suggestions.

I see a lot of bacon recipes on the internet. Many of these recipes use insta cure, is this necessary, or is any salt mixture recipe enough to cure the meat?

The hams I'm not entirely sure what to do with. I figured i would smoke them, is a cure necessary before smoking? We plan of smoking/curing them, then dividing them up and freezing to have them as needed.

Also I don't have a smoke house, but an offset and a Weber smokey mountain. How would I cold smoke with either of these for the bacon?

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

-Ezra

You certainly don't "need" a curing salt, but, if you're expecting a certain texture or color, you won't get it with out it.

I would highly recommend vacuum sealing the bacon in a salt sugar mixture for the cureing process if you don't plan on using a curing salt, as air is your enemy.

A book that I highly recommend if you take the no cureing salt approach is "The Whole Hog Cookbook" by Libbie Summers.

As far as smoking the meat, if your temps don't stay below 40*, you'll either have to use a curing salt to prevent bacteria growth, or hot smoke the meat to 80% cooked or more. The local butcher here does it the hot smoke way so he can avoid the use of chemicals. I think that a bigger reason he does it that way is to avoid the curing process itself as it slows down production for him. The down side to not using a curing salt is that the meat won't last as long before it spoils...if it's around that long that is.

So, to answer your question, it can be done both ways, it just depends on how you want to get there.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
You certainly don't "need" a curing salt, but, if you're expecting a certain texture or color, you won't get it with out it.

As far as smoking the meat, if your temps don't stay below 40*, you'll either have to use a curing salt to prevent bacteria growth, or hot smoke the meat to 80% cooked or more.

The down side to not using a curing salt is that the meat won't last as long before it spoils....

^+1.....

Too much to go wrong your first time around, I would suggest using the pink salt especially because you are butchering the pig yourself. After you get comfortable with the process then you can experiment.

Air and temperature are definitely your enemy as you try to cure without a bacteria inhibitor.

But it is your call as you are doing the work.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Back on the old farm they used a salt box with some nitrates and nitrites. The salt dried the hams and the chemicals were for bacteria. They did not have refrigeration. That's why the pigs were possessed in the fall when the temps were low. How ever you cure don't take a chance with the baddies.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

If you are cold smoking the bacon, you will need to use a cure on the belly meat. You will need to weigh the bacon to determine how much cure you will need. Be careful with the amount of cure you use as too much or too little can make you sick.

As for the hind quarters, commonly called hams, if you do not use a cure on them, you will wind up having roast pork. The meat will not taste like the ham you are accustomed to as it is the cure that gives ham that hammy taste. Once again you will need to weigh the hams to determine how much cure you will need. The hind quarters do not contain near the fat that the shoulders do so the hams have a lower finish temperature. If you want to slice the hams, 170º-175º will be your target temperature.

Lager,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
NBBD
is one Smokin' Farker

Lots of good info along this thread-- its not bacon or ham if nitrites are not involved... Even the the "nitrite free" contains but in the form of celery juice...

OP, Take a look at sausagemaker.com or Butcher and packer, not only are they great places to order curing ingreadients and supplies but both have nice articles
NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought my first pig last spring. The hams arrived whole - the entire back leg, that is! I should have asked the butcher to separate the hocks and to cut the hams in half and to remove the aitch bone. As it was, I sawed the frozen lump of meat with a new Sawzall blade. Worked OK. I brined it (using pink salt) for I think 8-10 days and smoked it to 150F but it wasn't right so I pulled it apart into big chunks and resmoked those, then put the chunks on the slicer and cut them real thin. Made for fine eating! The bacon I did just like it says in "Charcuterie" and it was off the hook delicious. A quality slicer is your friend here.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote