Planning for next year

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am starting to plan for next year. I know, I am a little anal about this stuff. I am trying to decide what events to cook in next year. Because we are a new team we were hoping that some of you would chime in with your recommendations on contests to cook in the New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachuetts area. We plan to cook 5 to 6 events or until our contest budget dry's up. We appreciate your input on contests good and bad.

For starter's Phil will be able to Phil you in on those. go to the kcbs website for listings. Join the KCBS also. You will get their newsletter that has all of the sanctioned events listed as far in advance as they know them. Wait, you went to that judges class right? you should now be a member.

Try not to do 2 weekends in a row.

THat's all from me.

parrothead said:
Try not to do 2 weekends in a row.

Can't imagine! Doing two of three weekends and we're a mess right now trying to re-organize from one and get to another! For sanity... at least for the first few times, I'd also go as far as saying don't do any closer than three weeks apart. So far, it's been a mess to get cleaned up frm one in time for the next. If you're like my family and very busy all the time, it compounds that.

I like to fine tune during the off season. I will be cooking something at least every other week.

I can't do 2 contests in a row. Need some time to re-group

I agree, 2 in a row is tough but something that will help you is start making up supplies that are for contest only. If you try to move stuff back and forth from the kitchen it will kill you.

Find a good restaurant supply and stock up on toys for the season, I use a place out of San Antonio called Ace Mart (Acemart.com). The only stuff I have share double duty is my knives, which have a travel case and of course rub and sauces. I even have a pack of spices for the road. I suggest ordering them at the season start as fresh spices only keep their spurs sharp about 6 months. I use an intenet based house to order those as well but now that I live in Chicago I go to their store (thespicehouse.com).

I would certainly give yourself at least a week in between because it gives you time to repair anything you learned from your scores at the prior contest.

Hope that helps.

Do you guys have any input on contests in the New England area. Maybe some of the NEBS (New England BBQ Society) contests.

Plan on 2 definites.

Gillking at Belmont Racetrack and GuitarBQue in Asbury Park.

Then there is Podunk Bluegrass in Podunk CT, just east of Norwich and Ribfest in New Paltz, which needs work. Lowell Mass has good one highly rated, and theres a big one in Wildwood NJ which is clamined to be souths chance to spank the north. There are also a couple in PA, VA and MD. Problem is, they are all within 10 weeks of each other. Rob and I planned on going straight thru from July 8 to Sept 6, but back to back was too difficult. You need at least 2 weeks apart. Add in some family stuff, and we're limited to 3-4 events.

We were also considering the two Cape Cod events. The one at the beginning of the season and the one at the end of the season. Any inputs?

In the Northeast, from what I hear the absolute best, hands down contest is the Harppon Brewery Contest in Vermont.

The two other big draws are the Ocean City contest in NJ which is southern enough to attract the rebels and the Contest in Penn Dutch. Next year baby!

We did three in a row!!!! Never again.!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are planning on doing 6 to 7 contest next year. We are going to try and go to some out of state.

Back