18 Pounds of Pork Butt in 6 Hours. But........

Igotgas

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I did my first hot and fast this last weekend. I did 18 pounds uncooked weight in 6 hours not counting cooler time. All in all I like the time frame but I did not like the consistency of the PP. I think that it was a a bit "mushy" compared to my low and slow. Should I have put it back on the smoker after pulling it out of the foil? Would that have "Firmed" the meat up a bit? Here they are at 160*+/-

62d15975.jpg

3fb997de.jpg

Sorry no pics of after.

I'm confused, did you foil during the cook or just for resting?

By mushy, do you mean real tender/soft?
How long did they rest?

By mushy, do you mean real tender/soft?
How long did they rest?

To me they seemed like they were soggy like they had been sitting in juices too long. I rested them for about 2 hours while we ate dinner. But before they rested I unfoiled them and drained the juice out of the foil and refoiled and coolered.

That's because you foiled it....I never foil and I always have a great texture, I have tried foil and it tasted felt/looked really greasy and mushy.

That's because you foiled it....I never foil and I always have a great texture, I have tried foil and it tasted felt/looked really greasy and mushy.

I agree, I do not foil when I go low and slow because i have never felt the need, but this was a hot and fast cook. I think if I did not foil it, it would have been hard as a rock on the outside. Do you normally do hot and fast without foil?

Back