MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Cajunator
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Charcoal w/ Smoker Blocks

I ran to Tractor Supply this morning to get some chicken feed and other stuff and of course if a store has grilling or BBQ stuff I have to check out what they have. Well, they had Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Charcoal w/ Smoker Blocks 6.8 lb bags regulary $5.99 for $2.99 clearance priced. I snagged two bags but after I left I wished I had gotten more. If you guys like this stuff and have a Tractor Supply near you, check it out to see if it's clearance priced there too. Good stuff! It has real chunks of whiskey barrel staves in the bag for smoking.
Cajunator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep. I love that stuff with beef. There's a large ratio of wood in the bags too which can be saved separately for later uses.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've seen the wood chips, but not the charcoal. I'll have to check around because that sounds like it would be nice to try.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
brewerjamie15
Full Fledged Farker

I was at a garden center a while ago and saw that they had old whiskey barrels folks use for gardens and water gardens. I saw a broken one. I asked how much it was. I paid three bucks for a half of a barrel. I took it home and cut into one of the pieces with my miter box. I smelled sweet whiskey, saw the soak line, and have made the pieces of wood a part of my regular smoking wood.
Old whiskey barrels my friends. That's where it's at.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Cajunator
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerjamie15 View Post
I was at a garden center a while ago and saw that they had old whiskey barrels folks use for gardens and water gardens. I saw a broken one. I asked how much it was. I paid three bucks for a half of a barrel. I took it home and cut into one of the pieces with my miter box. I smelled sweet whiskey, saw the soak line, and have made the pieces of wood a part of my regular smoking wood.
Old whiskey barrels my friends. That's where it's at.
Lucky dog!
Cajunator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I have used the Jack Daniels Barrel Chips and the pellets. They do smell great when burning, but I don't think my tastebuds are refined enough to notice a flavor difference.

Great score though!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

I wonder whether soaking wood chips in bourbon would be worth a try

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote