everlasting brine?

NO!!!! you never want to reuse a brine that has already had raw meat in it. there are some major sanitarty issues with that. your best bet is to just double batch and then save half before you put the meat in. Then you dont have some for next time or just use for an injection.

Absolutely not. You MIGHT be able to use it IMMEDIATELY if you are doing parts, because they brine really quick, but even then...you're walking a scary line there. I have never reused a brine personally and have no plans to try it.

I suppose if you're doing a bunch of pieces and you can't fit them all in the brining bucket at one time you could put a second batch of parts in the brine immediately after the first ones are removed. This assumes the brine and meat has been kept very cold at all times.
I've done this when my brine had a lot of flavoring ingredients and I had another batch of meat to brine immediately so I didn't want to toss it out.
You're going to cook the meat to a safe temp afterwards so unless the brine has become toxic, I don't see why you couldn't use it again.
But don't keep it in your fridge to use again next weekend.

Wouldn't it depend what your brine consists of? If you have enough salt in there or vinegar or wine - what the heck is gonna grow in there to make you sick? I'm not advocating it - just talking tech here. I think it would be safe depending on your brine mixture.

Each time you use it there will be less salt. You would need to "recharge" it, but how would you know how much to add?

I'm in the throw it out after you use it camp.

I'm in the throw it out after you use it camp.

Ditto. Remember that when you use a brine not only does the brine go into the meat, but some juices and fats come out of the meat into the brine. To me that gives waaaay too much chance for cross contamination.

I am more lax than some folks regarding some food safety issues, but even being lax
I would not reuse a brine. double batch it as suggested above if possible
Reason being is the brine pulls juices out of the meat as well as bring flavors in.
If you reuse then you are adding impure product to the new meat

Last edited by a moderator:
I've reused brine before. For example if I'm cooking 2 batches of pork chops, I'll brine a batch on day one, then cook that batch the next day, put a new batch in the brine, then the next day cook the 2nd batch and ditch the brine. I wouldn't try to keep it for a week, or brine pork after chicken or anything like that. If you have any doubts as to the safety though you might as well pitch it, a batch of brine is dirt cheap.

I know water & salt are pricey and all, but I wouldn't reuse it.

I also don't get the whole "risk" thing. The meat is going to be cooked after the brine.
However, I do agree that you are doping down your brine.

To me, I don't even need a health reason.

Salt and Sugar are cheap.

The first time the brine is used, you control the concentration.
The second time.....??
How much salt, sugar, and spices remain?

JMHO.

TIM

The cost and effort of making a new brine is minimal especially when you think about the possibility of getting sick.

Back