Ask the brethren: Rate my butchers brisket

B

Butt_Pirate

Howdie smokers!
I do not have a ton of experiance picking out Briskets but I picked one up yesterday from a butchers close to my house. I get a kick outa the butcher so I do hope that he does good work.
This is some pics of the brisket. Its about 12lbs and I had got home put it in the freezer then rushed out the door for 2hrs to a buckle-up-baby clinic before I came back and took these pics. So if it looks a little white on the top it is just the frost setting in...
P6170172.jpg

P6170173.jpg

P6170174.jpg

P6170175.jpg

P6170176.jpg

Okay brethrean so here is my brisket. You can give a score from 0-9 and I have braud shoulders so you wont hurt my feelings so if my butcher isn't up to par by your standards then please let-er-rip but if you feel its bad then please indicate why?
Thanks all!

Looks like a pretty brisket to me.
Seems to be white fat, etc.
Was it flexible?

But, hard (or impossible) to speculate on quality from a picture, especially in the Cyro.

You'll know more when you cut into it and see the marbeling and such.

Good Luck.

TIM

It did have some good flex to the brisket and when I picked it up in the middle each end diped a good amount.

I should also say this is for personal use for a backyard bbq not for compatition.

I will also post pics when its outa the cryo bag close to Canada day weekend for a closeer inspection by the brethren!

More than likely your butcher recieved the brisket already packaged this way from the processing plant. Maybe.

I'm just sayin'...

It looks good tho. Enjoy it.

More than likely your butcher recieved the brisket already packaged this way from the processing plant. Maybe.

I'm just sayin'...

It looks good tho. Enjoy it.

It could be likely to happen a lot but since I have been in the walk in with the entire cows hangging on hooks I don't think he does get them in that way. Unless that was just there to pull the wool over my eyes.

Looks like a nice brisket to me. Cannot really tell to much sitting in the cryovac.

:-D Your butcher is probably a good one and indeed has beef halves hanging in his locker, but that particular brisket looks like it's packed in IBP cryovac!! Nothing wrong with that at all. Most butchers bring in various "primal" cuts from the big producers just like that. If you like and trust the guy, well that's what counts - not where the farkin' brisket "came from". Most independent butchers don't custom cut brisket and then cryovac it. They'd give it to ya in butcher paper!!!

Honestly he never said he does it himself but first time I came in and asked for a briskett he brought me too the back to make sure I knew what I was asking for. He just had the beef halfs there to show me on so its not like he said this was where my brisket would come from.
If he gets them to him like that then I cant complain since they have worked well for me so far.

It's great to have a "relationship" with a real butcher. He'll be able to help with special orders, too. Congratulations!!

It's great to have a "relationship" with a real butcher. He'll be able to help with special orders, too. Congratulations!!

Agreed that I have the confadence in having a butcher that can take care of my requests is great to have. I must say to earn a "relationship" with him I had to go though a uneasy experiance to get there. When he was showing mw the walk in I couldn't help but feel odd i was alone in a small cold darken room with a little man with a knife that could slice though my midsection, he also clearly had the skills to turn me into a kufta kabob if he wanted to!

Agreed that I have the confadence in having a butcher that can take care of my requests is great to have. I must say to earn a "relationship" with him I had to go though a uneasy experiance to get there. When he was showing mw the walk in I couldn't help but feel odd i was alone in a small cold darken room with a little man with a knife that could slice though my midsection, he also clearly had the skills to turn me into a kufta kabob if he wanted to!

Yeah, you have to learn to ignore the arterial blood spray pattern on his coat, the mesh glove, and the holstered scimitar and steel. :twisted:

ALso the fact my butcher has a lazy eye kinda makes him look like he just got off a screening of Deliverance kinda adds to the intimidation factor.

Brisket should have some flex to the meat when you pick it up. A bad brisket is tough and stiff.

ALso the fact my butcher has a lazy eye kinda makes him look like he just got off a screening of Deliverance kinda adds to the intimidation factor.

Sounds like a very interesting dude....I'd bring him some brisket when you're done smoking it. Maybe he will hook you up even more once you start hooking him up...

hey
BP that looks like a nice briskie! as long as its pliable in the cryo lets you know there is not a ton of that thick hard white fat(which is best to carve out of there before you cook it IMO). Also the fact that the butcher has a lazy eye is of little worry unless he plays a mean banjo!!!!:shocked:

Also the fact that the butcher has a lazy eye is of little worry unless he plays a mean banjo!!!!:shocked:

Can you ask him and tell me what his reply is? :laugh:

*Que sound of dueling banjo's*

Back