MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
smokinvic
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Whats in a good bark?

I recently bought a bunch of seasoning at Smart and Final. I did not really think about it, but I bought mostly powder stuff (onion powder, garlic powder, all spice powder, etc). I realized after i made a rub for some ribs that it came out very fine. I think a coarse rub would be better.

In the bother's opinions, what makes a better rub, coarse or fine? And is a thick coating a better bark maker? or just a sprinkle? So many questions....

just a side note: I just put in an order for Plowboys Yardbird Rub. I CAN'T WAIT! I have some wings in the freezer waiting to be rubbed!!

Hey Big Brother Smoke or Big Mista... what was the other rub you guys used on those wings, that "taste test" over at Norco's?

"I am the Lizard King.... I can do anything."

"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars... out here we is stoned.... immaculate" - An American Poet
smokinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I prefer fine ground spices for everything but Black Pepper on traditional Barbecue Meats using a traditional type of rub. Granulated spices can get a little gritty in texture. IMO the bark should be a caramelized layer of meat and spice not a caramelized layer of spice like you sometimes see. A fine grind will sort of seep in but coarser spices will sit on top.

However there are lots of great ethnic variations you can do with coarser grinds of Cumin, pepper flakes, coriander and such.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinvic View Post
I recently bought a bunch of seasoning at Smart and Final. I did not really think about it, but I bought mostly powder stuff (onion powder, garlic powder, all spice powder, etc). I realized after i made a rub for some ribs that it came out very fine. I think a coarse rub would be better.

In the bother's opinions, what makes a better rub, coarse or fine? And is a thick coating a better bark maker? or just a sprinkle? So many questions....

just a side note: I just put in an order for Plowboys Yardbird Rub. I CAN'T WAIT! I have some wings in the freezer waiting to be rubbed!!

Hey Big Brother Smoke or Big Mista... what was the other rub you guys used on those wings, that "taste test" over at Norco's?
Best ask Norco. unless it was the spicy mustard sauce

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Best ask Norco. unless it was the spicy mustard sauce
Dude you gonna kick down with the link? I made myself some drummetts and potatoe with the mustard sauce again last night. Awesome.
Vic we used Plowboys, Big brother Smokes (bet he boesn't remember). I put some in teryaki, some in Mojo but you missed out saturday on the Mustard Best of all.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
big brother smoke

My bad it is on my flash drive at work. Did not get in until 10 pm last night, so I am going in late.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Course rubs have a longer lifespan than finer rubs. Other than that they are traditionally the same flavor. If you find yourself cooking the flavor out of the rub, try using the courser rubs. I would imagine with chicken you can get more forgiveness with a fine rub than you could say with a brisket or a butt. Just my opinion.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Norcoredneck

Don't make rubs myself, but doesn't sugar content contribute to actual "Bark look"?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Don't make rubs myself, but doesn't sugar content contribute to actual "Bark look"?
yeah . i use a brown sugar based rub for pork but i also spritz w/ a blend of apple/cranberry/lemon/& mango liquer- it makes for a great color to the bark. cherry wood also makes for a nice bark color.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Yep, you betcha!