Brisket Question - how to probe it?

djoseph74

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I think I'm doing something wrong. I put my Brisket on at 7 PM, its been mostly 225-245 degrees. My remote probe is showing the meat at 160. I know there are some stall points, but I'm guessing I'm putting it in the wrong place.

Where should I place this thing? Its a Maverick 732. I have it near the front of the flat, going in the side.

-Dan

Have you calibrated your thermometer lately. Throw on a pot of boiling water and make sure your hitting approx 212.
Sounds like your checking it correctly. I put my probe into the side of the brisket into the thickest part.

Probe the thickest part of the flat.

Remember that internal temp is just a guideline. The real test for done is by feel.

In the top of the flat near the point is best. That's where your best pieces are going to come from in the brisket. The stall can last a long time, if you want to speed it up then wrap it in foil.

7pm? based on your MI timezone..........you've got a long way to go. it's done when it's done. cooking at those temps it could possibly take 4+ hours to get through the stall. crank up the temp. thank me later......

Howdy,

Thanks guys. Being a digital probe, you can't callobrate these right? Also, I tested it with my other probe, and they're both reading the same.

I'm going to move the probe as suggested.

chris - if the stall will take 4+ hours, I'm ok with that. Its 11 pm here. 7 pm was 4 hours ago. I was initially thinking this would take 15-16 hours. I'll take all that advice and let it cook without worrying about it too much.

From what I'm gathering here, Brisket internal temps aren't exactly normal like you'd see in a pork butt?

Back